• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Brexit mean the end of Kolpak (South Africans etc) in county cricket?

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, the freedom to restrict EU (and affiliate) workers coming to the UK has been one of the central parts of the leave campaign, it's entirely plausable that law changes would override things like the Kolpak ruling and make a significant difference going forward. The liklihood is those who are already here will probably be allowed to continue playing under the ruling (as no government wants to be seen to be kicking people out en masse), but the door will be closed for future players.

Shady Slim

International Coach
would this then result in a boost to domestic cricket in countries like zimbabwe, or just those players being lost to cricket for good as they find better employment in other countries

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
would this then result in a boost to domestic cricket in countries like zimbabwe, or just those players being lost to cricket for good as they find better employment in other countries
Zimbabwe is probably not a great example... might help SA though, but unlikely.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Kolpak is an eu ruling so it will certainly fall away.

I know from football people can still get in without having eu passports but the regulation is usually they need to have played 70% of the nations international in a two year period. So this should severely limit the amount of players being lost to county cricket, especially the younger players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There are different work permit rules for cricket then for football, less stringent I believe. I think it all depends on what terms the exit takes place, may be that some laws remain in place.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The end of Kolpaks in sight | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Found this story from 2008 (remember something about it previously) So ECB already had the ability to limit if they wanted. Ultimately if the counties are happy to be 'fined' for kolpak players, I believe that they will find another way to get players in if they wanted to badly enough. There will always be a certain amount of negotiation on what is acceptable between ECB and the counties. The door is unlikely to be just shut with ease.

Kolpak is an eu ruling so it will certainly fall away.

I know from football people can still get in without having eu passports but the regulation is usually they need to have played 70% of the nations international in a two year period. So this should severely limit the amount of players being lost to county cricket, especially the younger players.
I believe that may be a football governing body ruling rather than legal legislation.

Simple reality is as long as SA is in the political and economic circumstance we currently find ourselves, talented players will continue to find a places overseas. If not in England, then possible Australia and New Zealand.

Stefan9

International Debutant
The end of Kolpaks in sight | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Found this story from 2008 (remember something about it previously) So ECB already had the ability to limit if they wanted. Ultimately if the counties are happy to be 'fined' for kolpak players, I believe that they will find another way to get players in if they wanted to badly enough. There will always be a certain amount of negotiation on what is acceptable between ECB and the counties. The door is unlikely to be just shut with ease.

I believe that may be a football governing body ruling rather than legal legislation.

Simple reality is as long as SA is in the political and economic circumstance we currently find ourselves, talented players will continue to find a places overseas. If not in England, then possible Australia and New Zealand.
No idea, I was under the impression it was an immigration law. Could be different industries have different requirements to prove the individual would be a worthy immigrant.