• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia and South Africa in West Indies ODI Tri-Series

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Since this is a thing.

Fri Jun 3 (50 ovs) 1st Match - West Indies v South Africa, Providence Stadium, Guyana
Sun Jun 5 (50 ovs) 2nd Match - West Indies v Australia, Providence Stadium, Guyana
Tue Jun 7 (50 ovs) 3rd Match - Australia v South Africa, Providence Stadium, Guyana
Sat Jun 11 (50 ovs) 4th Match - Australia v South Africa, Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts
Mon Jun 13 (50 ovs) 5th Match - West Indies v Australia, Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts
Wed Jun 15 (50 ovs) 6th Match - West Indies v South Africa, Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts
Sun Jun 19 (50 ovs) 7th Match - Australia v South Africa, Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
Tue Jun 21 (50 ovs) 8th Match - West Indies v Australia, Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
Fri Jun 24 (50 ovs) 9th Match - West Indies v South Africa Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
Sun Jun 26 (50 ovs) Final - TBC v TBC, Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

All games played at 13:00 local (17:00 GMT | 19:00 SAST)

SeamUp

International Coach
I think Domingo/selectors might have a rude awakening in this series. Again. Our worst period since re-admission and I don't see it improving with the current coach.

anil1405

International Captain
There seems to be shortage of international standard players going by recent selections. Or maybe other off the field factors affecting the team?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
There seems to be shortage of international standard players going by recent selections. Or maybe other off the field factors affecting the team?
There has been talk of issues off the field and there has been the rumours of AB, Steyn, Philander, Faf retiring etc

Just never seen SA cricket as low as this. It needs an injection of ideas and coaching and possibly new blood but we will see.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There has been talk of issues off the field and there has been the rumours of AB, Steyn, Philander, Faf retiring etc

Just never seen SA cricket as low as this. It needs an injection of ideas and coaching and possibly new blood but we will see.
We really can`t afford for those guys to retire now... Amla and AB need to stay for at least the next 4 years until the younger generation gain experience. QDK and Rabada shows we still have talent coming through. Domingo needs to go but think he will stay until contract runs out (2017). I am optimistic talent wise it is use of the talent that is a concern.

Its not just SA cricket that is low.. the entire country in general is low for many different factors..

SeamUp

International Coach
With you there mate. AB, Amla and Steyn at 32/33 now can easily play till 35/36. They all fit enough too and good enough to do so. These are the sorts you want your young cricketers to feed off. They definitely can't retire now.

Talk is CSA don't have the money to sack him ? Why did they extend it ? We can't go foreign due to our political issues. Are the 6 in charge of the franchises good enough to take over ? Suppose you add Klusener and National Academy coaches Shukri Conrad/Vinnie Barnes who would no doubt apply for the role. But your point is vital. I do think we have the talent but maximising it in this country is another story and then we don't help ourselves by not picking our best teams/squads.

CSA also up the ANC's bum so will always have to fight outside factors. That will not go away.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
When was the last time SA played a Test in WI? The 2009 series when Steyn spat on Benn?

Stefan9

International Debutant
With you there mate. AB, Amla and Steyn at 32/33 now can easily play till 35/36. They all fit enough too and good enough to do so. These are the sorts you want your young cricketers to feed off. They definitely can't retire now.

Talk is CSA don't have the money to sack him ? Why did they extend it ? We can't go foreign due to our political issues. Are the 6 in charge of the franchises good enough to take over ? Suppose you add Klusener and National Academy coaches Shukri Conrad/Vinnie Barnes who would no doubt apply for the role. But your point is vital. I do think we have the talent but maximising it in this country is another story and then we don't help ourselves by not picking our best teams/squads.

CSA also up the ANC's bum so will always have to fight outside factors. That will not go away.
Paddy Upton not an option due to politics? If no foreign coach will take the job then he would be the guy I would go for.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Paddy Upton not an option due to politics? If no foreign coach will take the job then he would be the guy I would go for.
To be honest I think Upton is better back room coach. Personally I would like to see Graham Ford come back as head coach with Geoff Toyana as his assistant, with the idea he takes over.

With the transformation reality in SA I think a black coach (he seems to have shown pretty good capability) is a must, even as an assistant. One of the obvious problems that coaches have in SA is that the (largely white) middle class coaches cannot interact/understand the black development players. I think this is a big understated problem in SA coaching. I also think it is why many of the black development players are unhappy because they cannot relate to many of the coaches and vice versa. Anyway that's my 2 cents...

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wouldn't be surprised, every coach has their innate biases, even just to the kids who just seem to warm to your ideas. Doesn't mean it's a racially fuelled.

Marius

International Debutant
Looking forward to see Shamsi getting a go.

Hopefully Parnell will be able to replicate his domestic form in the Caribbean but I'm not holding out much hope.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't be surprised, every coach has their innate biases, even just to the kids who just seem to warm to your ideas. Doesn't mean it's a racially fuelled.
Yes, some players just work better with different coaches. Unfortunately the economics, history and culture of SA are divided along racial lines and this creates issues...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to see Shamsi getting a go.

Hopefully Parnell will be able to replicate his domestic form in the Caribbean but I'm not holding out much hope.
Really looking forward to see Shamsi given a go. Think he could be great for SA.

cnerd123

likes this
I too am hyped for Shamsi. But he didn't get to bowl in the warmup :(

What did Katwaroo do to merit selection? Are there no batsmen left in SA?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Since ABdV was on IPL duty and QdK was injured/rested/not playing for whatever reason.

Better to draft in a random local than make du Plessis take the gloves or something.