• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pink ball cricket - thoughts

watson

Banned
Girls colour. Can't imagine DK Lillee or Curtly Ambrose bowling with one.

Or Jardine saying something like, "Harold, I want you to knock Bradman's head off with this nicely coloured pink ball."

It's all wrong.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this

Or Jardine saying something like, "Harold, I want you to knock Bradman's head off with this nicely coloured pink ball."

It's all wrong.
Wow

Gob

International Coach

It's all wrong.
Poop

Wonder whether it will swing around like ****

cnerd123

likes this
All reports suggest that discoloration is an issue, and that the ball becomes softer faster.

Basically behaves more like a white ball than a red ball it seems.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Pink ball gets first NZ unveiling as cricketing sideshow begins | Stuff.co.nz

"It doesn't react anything like the red ball, in terms of swing and the hardness of it anyway," said Australian fast bowler Mitchell Starc in June, having played a Sheffield Shield match with a pink ball at the Adelaide Oval.

"It goes soft pretty quickly, I didn't see a huge amount of reverse swing in that game and I don't think it swung from memory too much until the artificial light took over. It definitely reacts very, very differently to the red ball.

"The other thing as well is, personally, I couldn't see the thing at night on the boundary. I couldn't see the ball. So I'm not sure how the crowd are going to see it."

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I have quite a lot of experience umpiring games with them, top Club and good schools twenty/20 stuff.

Four years ago they were poor. They were either too hard or fell apart pretty quickly. Discolouration was also often an issue.

They have improved a lot.

I have seen very few problems with them in the last couple of seasons (although doing a County twenty/20 quarter final this season I did find the balls used were hard to see. As my colleague also found this, and another said that he'd had issues, I suspect this was because they use a darker pink in that competition. In one game we had major issues with splitting by the seam but that was probably a bad batch.

They keep their shape pretty well, are not to hard and don't go soft now. The colour 'holds' better as well.

A terrific advantage (with the one exception above) is that they are much easier to sight

I wouldn't be surprised, should the technology and production continues to improve as it has, if pink balls replace red in all cricket before too many years have passed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if the pink bal might replace the white one in ODI's first. It'd be good to have ball in ODI cricket that offered both swing and reverse without completely defanging the spinners as the current 2 white ball set up has.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
The ones I normally come across seem to swing for a few overs.

But that can be said about many of the red balls.

I agree, they'll come into OD cricket first.

We can look forward to the angry traditionalists moaning when it comes into Test cricket.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Can't they paint it one of those glow in the dark colours?

Maybe if they gave it a molten iron core, that could lead to a dynamo effect when bowled, thus generating it's own magnetic field and aurorae which make it easier to spot.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should there be a separate stats field for Pink ball matches given whats known already after trials? Seen a few corners of the media and some players advocating the idea.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain

It's all wrong.

Actually in Jardine and Larwood's day pink was not seen as a 'girly' colour.

In the early part of the last century pink was the colour for boys.

Not that such a thing has any relevance in 2015.

Howe_zat

Audio File

It's all wrong.
Maybe you should stick to posting other peoples' opinions on things