• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Long Interviews with Ashwin

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ashwin has such a knack of making you feel like you've literally had a guided tour of all the rooms in his mind.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really laying into commentators and op-ed artists who say things for the heck of it. Good man.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
There was another interview (which I can't find now) where he very sensibly explained the topic of 'defending with an attacking field' and 'attacking with a defensive field'.

The explanation was something like this:

If you are good enough to bowl a specific defensive line and length consistently then it is sometimes useful to have an attacking field to defend. Because you know that you have good control to hit the targetted channel repeatedly, you know you won't bowl bad boundary balls. If you have a defensive field to defend, then batsmen can milk you for singles from that line. But with an attacking field, if you don't bowl bad boundary balls it is not easy for the batsmen to take singles every ball because he has too many fielders all around his bat.

On the other hand, attacking with a defensive field is sometimes preferable. When you have an attacking field, you can't try too many variations because there are gaps in the field. You can't knowingly err in line and length and that makes you predictable. While with a defensive field, you are not limited and you can bring out all the variations in your repertoire in order to attack.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
There were some good spells from Ashwin in Australia last time throwing in Carrom balls or whatever he calls it. I was wondering at the time how much thought goes into his bowling. He seems an intelligent lad.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Look forward to seeing him bowl leg breaks in England this time.
Yes, I don't remember him bowling leg-breaks in test matches. He has bowled leggies in LO cricket for more than a year now - but this time he'll definitely bowl many of those in tests imo.

Last edited: