• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne's best Australian ODI XI from the past 25 years

watson

Banned
Shane Warne names Allan Border as captain in greatest Australian ODI team of the past 25 years

Australian cricket legend Shane Warne has created huge debate after naming what he believes is the best one-day international Australian team of the past 25 years.

The outspoken former leg-spinner took to Facebook on Saturday morning to post his best Australian ODI XI, overlooking the likes of close friend Michael Clarke, Australian coach Darren Lehmann and former opener Matthew Hayden, while also naming Allan Border captain of the star-studde

Wicket-keeper batsman Adam Gilchrist was a no-brainer at the top of the order, with Warne choosing Mark Waugh as his opening partner

Ricky Ponting was the obvious choice at first-drop, however, the middle-order created some conjecture with Michael Hussey, Border and Michael Bevan getting the nod in this all-star team.
"The number 4 spot was a toughest decision," Warne said.

But I think Hussey just wins it over Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann & Michael Clarke."
The athletic Andrew Symonds was given the all-rounder position at No.7 ahead of the likes of Shane Watson and Ian Harvey.

Warne included himself as the spinning option in the side, but batted himself at No.9 behind the hard-hitting Mitchell Johnson.

Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath rounded out the tail and likely the opening bowlers in the side.
"Looking at this team, everyone bowls too," Warne said.

"Is there anyone missing in this team that should have made it? If so who goes out for them? Hope you enjoy the next week & my teams."

Other notable players to miss out were Dean Jones, Craig McDermott and Jason Gillespie.

"As promised here's my greatest Australian one day team over the past 25 years," Warne said on Facebook.

"Australian & England Ashes teams to come plus a combined team! Thoughts?"

Warne's best Australian ODI XI from the past 25 years

1. Mark Waugh
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Mike Hussey
5. Allan Border (c)
6. Michael Bevan
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Shane Warne
10. Brett Lee
11. Glenn McGrath

Shane Warne names Allan Border as captain in greatest Australian ODI team of the past 25 years
Choosing Border over Steve Waugh is an interesting one. And perhaps Mark Waugh over Hayden. But apart from those selections the team is fairly predictable.

Ponting beating Jones to the No.3 spot is not really a surprise, and no qualms about Hussey at No.4.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
"Australian & England Ashes teams to come plus a combined team! Thoughts?"
I look forward to Warne naming his England team since he would have bowled to a lot of the players under consideration. I'm guessing that Swann will be Warne's opposite number.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jones >>> Border as an ODI batsman.

Both Jones and Border only played 4 of the last 25 years (both retired from ODI in 94). Clarke or Martyn at #5 IMO. Or Watson somewhere, he's been a pretty epic ODI player.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If I actually had to pick a side to play in this criteria, I'd go:

Watson (5)
Gilchrist +
Ponting
M.Waugh
Hussey
S.Waugh (5)
Symonds (5)
Lee (2)
Starc (3)
Warne (4)
McGrath (1)

I do think sometimes it's forgotten how ****ing good early career Steve Waugh was as a death bowler. Got the nickname "iceman" for that reason. Unflappable bowling in the final overs when he was younger.

watson

Banned
Border is a great fielder and catcher. Might have given him the edge
Warne went out of his way to make Border his captain. Maybe Warne considers Border the Brearley of ODI captaincy. After all, Border did win a World Cup out of the blue, although not in the last 25 years.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Warne went out of his way to make Border his captain. Maybe Warne considers Border the Brearley of ODI captaincy. After all, Border did win a World Cup out of the blue, although not in the last 25 years.
Very possible. To achieve that WC with the team they had at the time, it was pretty special

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
who cares though it wasn't in the last 25 years. Stupid decison, he's just still mad Waugh was chosen as captain over him IMO

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My crack:

1 Watson
2 Gilchrist
3 Ponting
4 Jones
5 Bevan
6 Symonds
7 Hussey
8 Warne
9 Lee
10 Bracken
11 McGrath

Mark Waugh stiff, but I rate Jones and Ponting higher than him (particularly as a middle order player) and I'm not wearing ten overs out of Symonds/MWaugh against the quality of opposition this side is likely to play against, so Watson has to play.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
IMO

1. M Waugh
2. A Gilchrist
3. R Ponting
4. M Hussey
5. M Bevan
6. A Symonds
7. S Watson
8. S Warne
9. B Lee
10. N Bracken
11. G McGrath

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, agree with those picking Bracken over Johnson. Terrific ODI bowler.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd go...

1. Hayden
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Jones
5. Hussey
6. Bevan
7, Lee (2)
8, Warne (5)
9, Starc (1)
10. Bracken (4)
11. McGrath (3)

... don't see a real need for an all-rounder here. Also not worried about the tail starting at 7 because Lee, Warne and Starc are all pretty good with the bat and there's plenty above them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Any of those 3 batting 7 would be a couple of spots too high IMO when you're facing top quality opposition.

Zinzan

My crack:

1 Watson
2 Gilchrist
3 Ponting
4 Jones
5 Bevan
6 Symonds
7 Hussey
8 Warne
9 Lee
10 Bracken
11 McGrath

Mark Waugh stiff, but I rate Jones and Ponting higher than him (particularly as a middle order player) and I'm not wearing ten overs out of Symonds/MWaugh against the quality of opposition this side is likely to play against, so Watson has to play.
This side for me & agree with the idea of Symonds batting ahead of Hussey since the latter could play both attacking and re-building roles so well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Warne's team looks good but it isn't hard to name a good XI from Australia given the success we've had. I guess 3 left hand bats in the middle order looks a little uncommon but I reckon Warne has picked AB as captain as he couldn't handle anyone else who played extensively during his career to have it over Warne himself.

Spikey

Thanks for the tip champ.
It's funny cause usually when Warne does fantasy selection he forgets just that

Johnson probably the most inexplicable choice. He's not even the best Mitchell, let alone Bracken

Watson
Gilchrist
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Symonds
Hussey
Lee
Brad Hogg
Stunning Straceh
McGrath

#****youwarne