• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bodyline!

It looks like being an interesting summer for England as they attempt to compete on equal terms with Australia once more, so Martin looks back at another series in which they were expected to struggle, but which turned out to be the most famous Ashes series of them all

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I found it and still find it depressing that England won that series. I wanted with all of my heart for Australia to find a way to win that against all odds. Though just as well for us playing today that they lost or we would still have that tactic operating today potentially.

Debris

International 12th Man
Bodyline!

It looks like being an interesting summer for England as they attempt to compete on equal terms with Australia once more, so Martin looks back at another series in which they were expected to struggle, but which turned out to be the most infamous Ashes series of them all
You misspelt a word so I fixed it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bodyline was a picnic compared to facing the West Indies pace attack on dangerous wickets in the Caribbean in the mid 80's.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bodyline was a picnic compared to facing the West Indies pace attack on dangerous wickets in the Caribbean in the mid 80's.
Yeah there's some footage of a rather beastly spell by Marshall going around the wicket to some chap without a helmet on. Looked rather ferocious.

watson

Banned
Yeah there's some footage of a rather beastly spell by Marshall going around the wicket to some chap without a helmet on. Looked rather ferocious.
That reminds me of the infamous Marshsll-Boon sledge....

Staying over the wicket

Players involved: Malcolm Marshall and David Boon

Match: Second Test in Btisbane 1984/85 vs West Indies

What happened: Malcolm Marshall is regarded by many as the scariest West Indies quick of the 1980s, and that's saying a lot given the plethora of towering fast bowlers the Caribbean cricketers had at their disposal. After playing and missing Marshall one too many times, David Boon on debut was on the receiving end of some lip with Marshall well and truly fired up. The bowler with 374 Test wickets to his name, asked the stocky Tasmanian:

"Now David, are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?"

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-nastiest-sledges-in-cricket-20131125-2y52y.html

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's also a ball on display somewhere in the West Indies with bits of bone from Mike Gatting's nose embedded in it.

mr_mister

hey guys remember Phil Hughes

bodyline is bad and attempting to maim the batsmen is stupid

fredfertang

Totally unnecessary non sequitur - first up if you had read the article you would see that I do mention Philip Hughes, who never faced bodyline nor a bowler who was out to maim him, and no one has ever suggested that Larwood and Voce set out with the intention of hurting anyone and to suggest otherwise illustrates either a profound ignorance of the history of the game or simply trolling, or perhaps both

mr_mister

yeah i read the article that's what made me think of hughes. what bothered me is Marshall's comment to Boon, whether tongue in cheek or not it's still stupid. Then again I hate sledging and have since under 10s

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even the article had no necessity to mention Phil Hughes. He hooked too early at a long hop that he'd normally have helped himself to runs from. The fact that the received anything other than a minor injury is one of the most freakish incidents in professional sport.

mr_mister

I always thought Hughes was bad at the pullshot. He might quite an effort to improve that part of his game

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Great article. Was very disappointed by the way Larwood was treated after that series.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I always thought Hughes was bad at the pullshot. He might quite an effort to improve that part of his game
Whatever flaws there might have been in his technique he doesn't require mentioning in the same breath as "attempting to maim the batsman". He played a poor shot at a nothing delivery.