• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roelof van der Merwe defects to the Netherlands

Marius

International Debutant
June 30, 2015
Van der Merwe switches to Netherlands
Firdose Moonda

Roelof van der Merwe, who last tasted international cricket five years ago, is attempting to resurrect his career - but not with South Africa. The allrounder secured a Dutch passport on Monday and made himself available for Netherlands immediately. He was included in their squad to play against Nepal for a T20I the day after confirming his documentation but was not named in the starting XI on Tuesday.

Van der Merwe could play a part in the World T20 Qualifiers in July and, should Netherlands make it through, in the tournament itself, which he has said is his ultimate aim.

His new passport also means he can play county cricket as a local player, because of the European Union connection, and that he will end his career in South Africa. Van der Merwe spent nine seasons with the Titans franchise and was an integral part of their set-up, but decided to move on in the hopes of playing at the highest level again and prolonging his career.

"It has been a privilege and an amazing journey to be part of the Titans family for the past eight years. My cricket journey will continue, but I have decided on a different path that could be beneficial to my long-term career and family life," van der Merwe said in a statement issued by Titans.

"His indomitable spirit and defiance has endeared Roelof to the Titans fans and to a wider South African audience," Titans coach Rob Walter said. "He had a never-say-die-attitude and was extremely motivated to make a difference and to win matches."

Those qualities did not put van der Merwe was on the South African selectors' radar recently but earned him a call-up at the turn of the decade. He played 13 ODIs and the same number of T20Is between 2009 and 2010 and was part of the 2010 World T20 squad.

In the seasons that followed, van der Merwe made key contributions for Titans. He bowled them to the one-day cup final in the 2013-14 season, with 15 wickets in a 12-match campaign and was their leading run-scorer in last summer's first-class competition with 774 runs at an average of 55.28.

He remained part of South African A squads and often seemed on the fringes of a comeback, especially as South Africa searched for an allrounder, but was not reselected. Van der Merwe made use of his Dutch ancestry to open doors to play for Netherlands. He is not the first South African to go Dutch. Ryan ten Doeschate and Stephen Myburgh are among the other South Africans who have played for Netherlands.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent
Van der Merwe switches to Netherlands | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Sorry for sharing an article by Moonda, but I think this is an interesting story.

Can't say I really blame him, he didn't look like he was going to play for SA again, and with the new quota rules it could be hard for him to get a regular spot in the Titans XI (I think he would still have been a regular though).

Could be the first of many Saffa cricketers going with the new quota rules and CSA's plans for 'aggressive' transformation.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he hit ODIs very, very young IIRC.

Seriously good pick up for the Netherlands, though they're slowly becoming a complete parody with their lack of genuine Dutch-ness (I'm sorry, if Borren's been there nearly 15 years and still can't speak the language...).

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah he hit ODIs very, very young IIRC.

Seriously good pick up for the Netherlands, though they're slowly becoming a complete parody with their lack of genuine Dutch-ness (I'm sorry, if Borren's been there nearly 15 years and still can't speak the language...).
Not really - he debuted for SA in ODIs and T20Is when he was 24 - young but hardly exceptional.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say I used to know Roelof relatively well and what makes him special, having played with him a fair bit, is that he doesnt back down or give in. He could never be accused of being a thinking mans cricketer but he would fight a lion if it would help his team win. I admire his determination and lack of fear.

Good pick up for Netherlands and I wish him the best. Good lad, 'bouncy' cricketer and a great teammate.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Should score an absolutely bucketload in the associate setup. I wonder if he'll be encouraged to take his bowling more seriously again; he bowled darts but he had a rare ability to actually put some work on said darts so it was a shame when he sort of got the yips.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I love Roelof's attitude. It's interesting that while many players are moving away from associate cricket right now, and ICC has left the Associates high and dry, we have a player going to the associates.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I feel SA should have shown more faith in guys like Roelof van der Merwe and Albie Morkel. Their ODI bowling has never looked that balanced in the last few years. And with the new rules, they were completely exposed. A good 5th bowler could have made them a lot more dangerous at the WC. With such a strong batting lineup, they can even afford to play guys like Mclaren or Morris at number 7 and go with 5 proper bowlers.

Stapel

International Regular
I saw him wandering around the Dutch team, a week ago at VOC when we played PNG. It was coming. Looking at his figures, he was the best man in the side in his first match.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I like his attitude towards the game - passion; commitment and determination. Shall be a big asset for Dutch.

kingkallis

International Coach
RVdM was a decent LOI player. His last ODI game was pretty decent as well. I dont really understand why he was ignored in limited over games.