• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Almost nearly but not quite ATG XI discussion

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
To qualify players must have had at least a semi decent Test career but must not be a candidate for an ATG XI.:innocent:

England XI

Amiss
Broad
Lamb
Fletcher
Gatting
D'Oliveira
Parks
Giles
Voce
Dilley
Allen

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Navjot Sidhu
Ravi Shastri
Mohinder Amarnath
Dilip Vengsarkar
Sourav Ganguly*
Virat Kohli
MS Dhoni+
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Umesh Yadav

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Navjot Sidhu
Ravi Shastri
Mohinder Amarnath
Dilip Vengsarkar
Sourav Ganguly*
Virat Kohli
MS Dhoni+
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Umesh Yadav
I think there's an argument for having Tendulkar in there instead of Vengsarkar, but otherwise yeah, that looks about right to me.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia

Slater
Lawry
D Jones
M Waugh
Martyn
McCabe
Marsh
Brett Lee
Gillespie
MacGill
Thomson

with my all-time great XI being

Hayden
Morris
Bradman
Ponting
G Chappell
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
O' Reilly
McGrath

Players such as Benaud, Healy, Ponsford, Hassett, Clarke, Border, Miller, Lindwall are left in limbo, too good for the first team not good enough for the second team IMO

Last edited:

mr_mister

I have Grimmet in the ATG discussion as well, therefore too good for the first XI discussion

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think there's an argument for having Tendulkar in there instead of Vengsarkar, but otherwise yeah, that looks about right to me.
I was thinking of having Tendulkar only as a fielder (where he can't bat or bowl), but then I thought it'll still be unfair to the other teams because he will catch or run out every opposition within the first 15 overs.

also keep in mind my first series I ever watched was Ashes 98/99 lol
Well thanks to robelinda and cricinfo the only thing you have missed is watching Bradman bat, and how good some South African players would have been but for apartheidt.

I was watching video footage of Derek Underwood bowl the other night from the mid 1970's. The Gabba looked a dreadful ground back then.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I might watch the 75 World Cup Final right now if robelinda uploaded it. Where did he even get all the footage?

I believe that he merely recorded it all from tv.

Channel 9 and Fox, maybe other broadcasters too, cut him some slack because the cricket world loves him for it.

Ask him - he's on this forum.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was thinking of having Tendulkar only as a fielder (where he can't bat or bowl), but then I thought it'll still be unfair to the other teams because he will catch or run out every opposition within the first 15 overs.
Presumably all catches on the boundary since that's the only way that "attack" would take wickets.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
One off the top of my head for Australia - there are no doubt plenty more to come up with:

Colin McDonald
Bill Brown
Graham Yallop
Alan Kippax
Brian Booth
Charles Kelleway
Hanson Carter
Merv Hughes
Tibby Cotter
Ashley Mallett
Alan Connolly

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Presumably all catches on the boundary since that's the only way that "attack" would take wickets.
No, only the direct throws will be from near the boundary rope. The catches can be taken from anywhere; it depends only on how high one can jump.

One off the top of my head for Australia - there are no doubt plenty more to come up with:

Colin McDonald
Bill Brown
Graham Yallop
Alan Kippax
Brian Booth
Charles Kelleway
Hanson Carter
Merv Hughes
Tibby Cotter
Ashley Mallett
Alan Connolly
Australia just produces an endless assortment of champion fast bowlers. Not sure Merv is the first cab off the rank after Lindwall, Davidson, Miller, Lillee and McGrath (who are rightly excluded as ATG contenders). Bonus points for the moustache?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Australia just produces an endless assortment of champion fast bowlers. Not sure Merv is the first cab off the rank after Lindwall, Davidson, Miller, Lillee and McGrath (who are rightly excluded as ATG contenders). Bonus points for the moustache?
Craig McDermott, Jason Gillespie should definitely come earlier than Merv

The interesting question for mine, is how the career of Mitchell Johnson should be assessed. Mr inconsistency? Wasn't it only an injury to someone that saw him selected for his break through Ashes series in 2013 at home? He has won Australia a lot of tests. His numbers are better than McDermott or Merv Hughes or Brett Lee for that matter.

But I get the impression he will be ranked more lowly.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have them all before Merv too. My XI wasn't a specific "next-in-line" XI, it was a collection of players who had good to very good careers but who are short of all-timer status, in keeping with the spirit of LT's England XI in the first post.

I'd have them all before Merv too. My XI wasn't a specific "next-in-line" XI, it was a collection of players who had good to very good careers but who are short of all-timer status, in keeping with the spirit of LT's England XI in the first post.
That reply does not answer my question at all.