• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moment of the Summer

Moment of the Summer?

• Dhoni's Retirement

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • ABDV's 100

• Adelaide Test

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • The Blackcaps

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • NZ/SA

• TPC

• Other (state)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shady Slim

International Coach
So folks it's the time to decide what has been the greatest moment of the summer - I've nominated some of the greatest moments and given an other category because I've probably forgotten all of the best moments. I haven't put the rather unfortunate Hughes incident as it is a moment not to be celebrated but looked back upon with sadness and remorse

Dhoni Shock
MS Dhoni gave a rather sudden shock to the cricketing world by announcing his test retirement and giving the captaincy to Virat Kohli for the very last test of the tour - why was it he retired? why is it so sudden? is it a better option for the team? is he a sore loser or is it actually his time? is it a great time to get a KFC Zinger™ or is it just me?
In seriousness though it was a major shock to the cricketing world when MSD announced retirement, and considering that there was so much media speculation pre-Clarke retirement, it makes it so much more shocking in hindsight.

31ABDV100
De Villiers. The Windies. 31 balls. 100 runs. Probably accompanied by a stupidly long post by WindieWeathers giving a really passive aggressive congratulation laced with insults and excuses. This is just an iceberg's tip of ABDV's summer however it is one of the more wellAlbidarned documented of the moments.He dismantled the actually not terribly awful bowling attack of the West Indies and did it with a particular ease that has not been seen again until Brendon McCullum's openings to a batting innings of New Zealand in the WC. ABDV generally could most likely earn a spot here but this is a standout moment.

Adelaide Test
Emotions ran for the first match of the Australian test summer. With Kohli as one of the best emerging captains of the summer (narrow superlative as he was practically the only at the time), India had to have a miracle to knock off the Aussies during the Phillip Hughes test - surely. They nearly had a miracle. With Erasmus having periods of never giving LBWs and cheeky Connor taking all of the KFC Zingers™, it was a time for the Indians to pull a massive upset... but with the unmoving index finger of Erasmus finally budging as the cunning Lyon managed to get a plumb LBW against Vijay on 99 and Indians getting fricked more than the Australians by lack of a DRS, 48 runs was the difference between the two teams. With TPC only having to begin his smashing of the Indians and both Dave Warner and Virat Kohli tonning up for both innings, plus Lyon giving it to the people who said he couldn't close an innings, it was a wonderful test match.

The Blackcaps
The rise of the cricket team of Southern Double Island Australia... uh, sorry, New Zealand, was truly an amazing spectacle. Stringing wins for both the bilaterals and absolutely smashing it as they led a defeatless WC campaign until it came to the big game and they fell one short, it was a great time for NZ cricket. Led by their very fearless and electrifying captain BB McCullum and never letting a defeat against Sri Lanka in bilaterals make them slow down, cheeky kiwis such as Living Legend Daniel Vettori and swingin' Southee and Boult lapped up both pressure and plaudits as they helped the team to one of their best summers since the turn of the milennium

NZ/SA
The match that always was going to have a massive choke by one of the two semi finalists - but didn't. The match that always was going to be dominated by ABDV or one of the two Ts - but wasn't. It was a really amazing ODI with some really amazing performences - Morne Morkel, Brendon McCullum, Corey Anderson, ABDV, Faf, David Miller, Grant Elliott as well as the weather gave their very best performances to this game and they made it an ATGODI - one of the best I've seen. While all had to be said after the game about ridiculous choking and some rather illogical comments about the issue (and ftr the definition of choking is making your way in to a position where you're practically guaranteed to win then blowing it), McCullum and the Blackcaps were in the final for the first time and South Africa had to stay satisfied with a valiant loss.

Steven Peter Devereux Smith
162*, 52*, 133, 28, 192, 14, 117, 71. These here are what a man in form can do to the Indian test team. And after a sort of slow start to the WC he delivered at that too. Now captain of the testXI when Clarke is not at the right physical state with his hamstrings and touted as the captain for the ODI XI, it's enough to say this man is indeed the champion of the people. And that is all that I have needed to say there. It doesn't have to have edgy annotations to say that this man had an amazing summer.

So folks it is time to see the moment of the summer as voted by you!

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Williamson's six was quality. Guptill hitting a double in a knockout and looking like he wasn't even slightly tired. NZ drawing the series in the UAE with that McCullum double.

Shady Slim

International Coach
well this is true

a mistake on my part for making the poll my top six immediately thought of moments without thinking about it objectively though, as well as only including six

adub

International Captain
I go for Pup's ton in Adelaide. No ****er was gonna stop him tonning up for Hughesy. Close second Warner kissing the ground at Sydney after his ton.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to throw in a mention for day 3 of ind vs Aus at Melbourne.

Everything after Mitch threw the ball back at Kohli was phenomenal to watch... From that incident to Watson dropping Kohli in the slips, and the ball dropping just out of Haddin's reach just moments later, to Kohli going after Mitch with 3 brilliant pull shots in a row, to Rahane going mental and treating Johnson like a club bowler, Harris coming back for an amazing spell to induce a huge collapse, and the day finally ending with the catch of the summer from Haddin. And, not to mention that awesomely dickish press conference from Kohli after play ended.

I just thought ,that for a pitch that was decried as being boring, that whole extended passage of play was as good as you're going to get in test cricket.

Shady Slim

International Coach
okay since it seems my poll options were shyte then just everyone state your moments and why just like OS did and if it happens to be a poll option chuck a vote i guess

Riggins

International Captain
I go for Pup's ton in Adelaide. No ****er was gonna stop him tonning up for Hughesy. Close second Warner kissing the ground at Sydney after his ton.
Yeah, Clarke was monumental. I'll forget basically all of the world cup but that will stick with me forever. That and Smitty strolling over to the painted grass. Chilling.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
I think the one moment that will stick with me the longest will be day 2 of the Pakistan vs. New Zealand test. The original day had been postponed due to the death of Hughes and the eventual day was just the most sombre and heartbreaking day of cricket I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely surreal to watch a day where the cricket was taking the limelight but the competition itself seemed to take a backseat as it just turned into such a reflective day. New Zealand ripped through Pakistan without a peep as if they were regretful for taking wickets. The match itself was beautiful and was probably the first time in my lifetime that there was just no bull**** or even the sense that anything negative might happen. McCullum went on to play the most dgaf innings I think we're ever likely to see and I really loved the way they paid tribute to Hughes during a very tough time for all cricketers and their fans.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
when tpc became captain although nev being picked in the ashes squad is pretty great too

Antihippy

International Debutant
Glenn Maxwell's lookaway cut-pull.

Cricket's ability to create moments of excitement and admiration is a given, but there's an even rarer skill that should cherished more, and it's cricket's ability to create moments of comedy.

smash84

The Tiger King
I looked at the thread title and figured there was something wrong.

Summer is coming up and we just had winter.

Spark

Global Moderator
This and by an enormous margin as well. The rest of the Adelaide Test is second.

I think the one moment that will stick with me the longest will be day 2 of the Pakistan vs. New Zealand test. The original day had been postponed due to the death of Hughes and the eventual day was just the most sombre and heartbreaking day of cricket I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely surreal to watch a day where the cricket was taking the limelight but the competition itself seemed to take a backseat as it just turned into such a reflective day. New Zealand ripped through Pakistan without a peep as if they were regretful for taking wickets. The match itself was beautiful and was probably the first time in my lifetime that there was just no bull**** or even the sense that anything negative might happen. McCullum went on to play the most dgaf innings I think we're ever likely to see and I really loved the way they paid tribute to Hughes during a very tough time for all cricketers and their fans.
I would put this up there as well except I found that entire day extremely weird and often overly uncomfortable to watch. Just felt so weird.

Last edited: