• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old time cricket draft with a twist

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi all,

With the 2015 World Cup well underway, I was wondering if anyone out there might be interested in participating in a draft that has nothing to do with the current World Cup.

I propose an old-time cricketers draft with a twist; here are the rules.

- Cricketers who played Test cricket for either Australia or England are ineligible for selection.

- Cricketers available are those who played Test cricket for either South Africa, West Indies, India or New Zealand & made their Test debut BEFORE the 1st of January 1950.

- Cricketers who played Test cricket for two countries are fine, as long as they made their Test debut for either South Africa, West Indies, India or New Zealand before the cut-off date.

- Selected cricketers’ entire career performance will be considered; not just up until the cut-off date. Furthermore, this includes performances in First Class & League cricket.

- Order of selection will be determined by a random number generator; subsequently the following round will feature the same order, but reversed. After the opening two rounds, this process will repeat itself. There will be 11 selection rounds.

- Players must make their selection within 12 hours of the preceding player’s selection otherwise they will be timed out. If a player is timed out they can still make a selection whenever possible but are not allowed to select any cricketer already taken.

- The finalised teams will be put to a vote to decide the winner.

Any takers? I’m hoping to get between 6 & 8 players. However, if more people than that express interest I’ll be happy to include them, but be warned, if this is the case then selections might get a bit slim towards the end.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately no. Eligible cricketers must have played a Test for one of these four teams. It would be nice to include players from say, Philadelphia, but if we did so then the door would open for English county or Australian state cricketers. This draft is focussed on the non-powerhouse teams of the era.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sweet, so far we have four players; myself, AndyZaltzHair, bagapath & Zinzan. Howe_zat, are you in?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
GirtBySea confirmed. Five players in total now, looking for between one and three more.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok cool, getting close to the ideal amount of players. Will keep entries open for a few more hours before we begin the first round.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
We’ve got a good amount of interest here; eight players ready to go.

Before we start I would like to announce that I am going to move the cut-off date slightly forward. The new cut-off date is the 1st of January, 1953. All cricketers who are selected must have made their Test match debut BEFORE this date.

This change also means that cricketers from the 1952 Pakistan team are available for selection.

Considering that we will be drafting 88 cricketers from this era I believe a larger timespan is needed, especially if we have anyone else wanting to participate.

As a final rule, anyone who wishes to join in the game from now on will be placed LAST in line for the opening two rounds. After the completion of round one, no more entrants will be accepted. Please make sure you are familiar with these rules.

Without further hesitation, with help from the RNG, here is how the opening two rounds will proceed:

ROUND 1
Howe_zat
jimmy101
Michaelf7777777
bagapath
GirtBySea
AndyZaltzHair
fredfertang
Zinzan

ROUND 2
Zinzan
fredfertang
AndyZaltzHair
GirtBySea
bagapath
Michaelf7777777
jimmy101
Howe_zat

Good luck everyone. Over to you Howe_zat…