• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

With the change of the 2019 W Cup is this the last we will ever see the minnows play.

brockley

International Captain
Also the same as the T20 world cup,which is Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and Minnows,with the minnows unlikely to make the cut.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
The answer is not yes or no.
The 2019 WC will see the top eight ranked teams qualify automatically with the last two spots going to the top two teams in a qualifying tournament.

brockley

International Captain
All Irelands good batsmen will be mostly retired by then,so thats a no.

Afghanistan is a chance,but Zimbabwe is a test nation and has that support.Also Scotland and Holland players are aging.Kenya is gone,as is Canada.The rest not ready yet,and will not beat the 2 test nations.Only Afghanistan in 2019 could bt either Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

Altho that said the Brendon Taylor rumour does not go away,that he will join Hampshire this year.That will royally screw them.

The 2019 qualifiers will be in Bangladesh,that sees them through.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope not. A World Cup without the supposed minnows is a **** show. All those shocks that Ireland have completed in recent memory, for example. And what better way to expose developing nations to the game than by having their team represented at the World Cup. Even Football recognise the need for wide representation.

Niall

International Coach
I hope not. A World Cup without the supposed minnows is a **** show. All those shocks that Ireland have completed in recent memory, for example. And what better way to expose developing nations to the game than by having their team represented at the World Cup. Even Football recognise the need for wide representation.
Its basically a glorified Champions Trophy they are proposing. This is all because Pakistan and India were to crap in 2007 to get through to the super 7s or whatever it was called and ratings bombed.

What is the point of the supposed minnows playing cricket if they can't play in a world cup?

brockley

International Captain
So does the Rugby World cup Canada,Russia ,America etc.
Actually the All Blacks played America in a test this year,60,000 came.
More to the point Bangladesh beating India,India was so pissed the format was changed the next World Cup.

This time its the ECB,CA and BCCI that prosed the move to get rid of the minnows.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Where do you guys get this idea that minnows won't play at the 2019 WC because as far as I know England are still invited harharhar

Tec15

First Class Debutant
The ICC will be forced to make yet another about turn, and reinstate the associates for 2019 after Australia, England and India all drop matches to them and England even fails to reach the quarters. After all this was supposed to be the first cup in which there were to be "no minnows", but the ICC (Really, the Big Three) had to back down in the face of an outcry. The same thing will hopefully happen again.

brockley

International Captain
I hope so.
Its like the non interest in the Olympics and Commonwealth games,its a move away from spreading the game.

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
I hope the ICC stops faffing about and just lets the big dogs play in the 2019 World Cup: England, India and Australia.

brockley

International Captain
At leats 8 sides Heath like the Champions Trophy and T20 will go that way too.Its getting smaller as is the T20 world cup.There are still those and powerful those who don't want to play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe,namely India,England and Australia.
6 was a bit far i guess.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Afghanistan has a population of 32 million who are quite likely to provide a small ratings boost should they make it. It's not India or Pakistan or Bangladesh but there is enough financial incentive to want them there.

Moreover, their U19 team is beating teams top 8 teams fairly regularly.

brockley

International Captain
Afghanistan could make it could be tighter tho depends how they go at the Qualifier in Bangladesh.Looking at Zimb's record in Bangladesh,the rising star of Afghanistan,who just bt Ireland,i gather Ireland will be full of old players by then unless they re generate,past their used by date.

Also Paul Stirling could be Playing for England in the 2019 world cup then,even George Dockerill.Its the way things are.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
As much as ideally we want to see minnows taking part, seeing the quality of play reduced is not good for anyone, important records can be broken against minnows and it devalues the accomplishments from previous record holders.

I would like to see the minnows being allowed to play more ODIs throughout the year against each other and occasional friendlies against Test playing teams which are given List A status but not full ODI.

If they keep improving steadily and gradually develop a good infurstrautcure then maybe in 10-20 we can revist the idea of having more teams in the World Cup.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
So true. And records racked up against this Indian attack should have asterisks next to them too. And when your mouse hovers over the asterisk an animated gif of Binny bowling pops up.