• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Burnt Out?

JBMAC

State Captain
Have to ask the question . Just what is going on with Indian cricket?...too much IPL; concentration on 20/20s and ODIs? Surely there must be better players producing more consistency than those on tour at the moment. Is it such a corrupt, as the media lead us to believe, administration? I have been privileged to have seen some wonderful Indian teams tour this country and this current lot, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, just do not measure up. Have the Indian selectors relied too much on Tendulkar over the years they have become blinded to emerging talent? I'd be interested in your thoughts.Dhoni has reached his use by date.

The current Indian team seems destined, at this stage, to lose 4-0. The same as the previous tourists. I really would like to see them win this one just to put some "lift"/"belief" into their game. Going into a Test here in Australia with only 4 front line bowlers appears to be wrong. You have a skipper who, IMPO, can not read a game or inspire his team. Kholi even though he was on a hiding to nothing was a far more effective leader than Dhoni. Why is he (Dhoni) still there. He is definitely NOT there for his leadership abilities. NOR his keeping ability.

From what I have read and seen on docos so many Indians play the game. There MUST be talent there just waiting for a chance. Why don't they get that chance?

This is NOT a bagging of the current team! As I mentioned earlier I have seen many Indian teams tour here and be VERY effective and competitive, so what the bloody hell has gone wrong.
Why does this current team appear BURNT OUT?

I am very interested in your thoughts.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't you think this team has been far more competitive than any of the 90s teams and also better than the 2011 team?

JBMAC

State Captain
Don't you think this team has been far more competitive than any of the 90s teams and also better than the 2011 team?
Well, from what I recall there was a five test series in the early 90s and even though that Indian Team lost 4 and drew 1 they at least had a go and were well led. There appears to be a lack-lustre approach with this current team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah quite a strange thread. They have stayed in the game throughout and had they grabbed the initiative at some crucial moments this series could easily have been 1-1 at this point. The batting has looked very good in every game and its been unfair on them as they have to keep chasing the game due to their bowlers. In couple of years I back them to be the best middle order in the world by a comfortable margin especially as Amla and AB start getting older.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Strange timing. India have competed well here.

Well With Clarke out this is one of our weakest batting line ups that they would have bowled against. But their top 5 has played excellent cricket.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I heard the 2011 team partied hard while they were in Australia. Not sure about this time around though.

JBMAC

State Captain
Strange timing. India have competed well here.

Well With Clarke out this is one of our weakest batting line ups that they would have bowled against. But their top 5 has played excellent cricket.
How many players make a team? Just asking :)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
A really strong and versatile batting line-up is being let down overseas by a bowling attack that lacks control and penetration, so they are able to compete but never win, at home their bowling is potent

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How many players make a team? Just asking :)
Well the top order certainly hasnt folded like I thought they would.

Though I imagine, and I cant be bothered looking, but aside from the 2011 tour, indian batsmen have always done reasonably well here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No way. The score line in both tests has flattered them and they've had one big partnership when it mattered - yesterday. In Adelaide they took 12 wickets ffs and the game was only close because of a very sporting declaration; then in Brisbane hey took 16, at least four of which came at the very end when Australia slogged and the game was already up.

They've been better in Melbourne overall but mostly because of one excellent partnership. They stink.

OverratedSanity

No way. The score line in both tests has flattered them and they've had one big partnership when it mattered - yesterday. In Adelaide they took 12 wickets ffs and the game was only close because of a very sporting declaration; then in Brisbane hey took 16, at least four of which came at the very end when Australia slogged and the game was already up.

They've been better in Melbourne overall but mostly because of one excellent partnership. They stink.
Compare this to 2011. Competed for 4 days before a collapse on day 5 chasing 300. After that, it was pretty much constant embarassment in the next 3 tests, with bat and ball. Were never, ever in the game at all. Pretending this team has done worse is frankly laughable.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Compare this to 2011. Competed for 4 days before a collapse on day 5 chasing 300. After that, it was pretty much constant embarassment in the next 3 tests, with bat and ball. Were never, ever in the game at all. Pretending this team has done worse is frankly laughable.
In my experience with Burgey that is generally the idea

Burgey

It's not laughable. Theyre horrible. Not Australia in the UAE horrible, but horrible nonetheless. So far anyway. I suppose final judgment needs to be reserved until they roll over for 120 tomorrow then get beat in three days up here next week.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This isn't even close to India's biggest lows historically, we're actually batting decently and a mere 18 months ago we whitewashed this Australian team with much of the same cast playing, ffs.

2011/12 was far more depressing. At least the prospects who're performing we have now have all played 20-30 tests at max and will get better.

Daemon

It's not laughable. Theyre horrible. Not Australia in the UAE horrible, but horrible nonetheless. So far anyway. I suppose final judgment needs to be reserved until they roll over for 120 tomorrow then get beat in three days up here next week.
Your criticisms are all spot on, but this side simply hasn't done worse than the 2011 one. Yet.

Burgey

In my experience with Burgey that is generally the idea
Don't get too funny son.

Its like comparing a turd burger to a **** sandwich so far. This team has been more entertaining on the whole, but hardly more competitive so far.

OverratedSanity

Even if that happens, which it probably will, it won't match the awfulness of 2011.

In 2011, we basically always trailed by 400 after the first innings because of dreadful bowling and even worse batting. We never looked like even coming close saving a single match after Melbourne.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't get too funny son.

Its like comparing a turf burger to a **** sandwich so far. This team has been more entertaining on the whole, but hardly more competitive so far.
Sorry I thought you were trying to take the piss a bit SL rant style, still have no idea how you can say they've hardly been more competitive than previous teams

Last edited:

Burgey

I was actually... Just went on with it. ;)

I think if this Indian side had Zaheer at close to his best then they would be extremely competitive. I see real potential in Yadav, some in Arun and a lot less in Shami, tbh. Ashwin has bowled better this tour than last imo too.

They just have to persevere with these young blokes imo and get a Saker/ Lillee/ McDermott in to work with them.