• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is a bouncer now called a bumper

Chopper294

Cricket Spectator
My question is when did commentators stop referring to a short ball as a bouncer and start calling it a bumper?
Who came up with that idea and why did they change it?
It's always going to be a bouncer in my opinion and bumper just sounds stupid.

Riggins

International Captain
I started calling them bumpers at a club game a few years ago and everyone is finally starting to get the memo.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Bumper" is as Australian as Bradman, Sundries and Zinger pies - whether that is therefore stupid I couldn't possibly say

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bumper was always thought dated and Australian. The sought of thing Richie Benaud would say in old interview from the 50s. Perhaps it is making a comeback?

Take a look at Vitai Lampada from the 19C as well."A bumping pitch and a blinding light, An hour to play and the last man in."

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
I had thought it was going the other way. Almost always referred to as a bouncer now, far as I can recall.

archie mac

International Coach
Keith Miller & R.S. Whitington call one of their books from the 1950s Bumper. I quite like the fact the commentators are using the word again

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fieldsman has always struck me as an odd turn of phrase. Dunno what they get called elsewhere, but "fielder" is the prefered term over here.