• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Most Underrated Cricketers Ever.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jason Gillespie
Hugh Trumble
Bill Johnston
Geoff Boycott
Herbie Taylor
Bill Ponsford

Just randoms I personally think are underrated for one reason or another.

viriya

International Captain
Ken Barrington
Trevor Goddard
Shakib Al Hasan
Kumar Sangakkara

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jason Gillespie
I followed most of Gillespie's career. Was such an amazing fast bowler. He could get you via his pace and more in length. You had to play far a lot of the deliveries Gillespie bowled at you. Ashes 2005 and the period around that time ruined his reputation but before that, he was some one who was part of one of the all time great test teams.

Between 1997 and 2004, Gillespie took 238 test wickets at 24.6. How great a test team would Australia have really been had it not been for Gillespie?

McGrath took 376 wickets in the period at 20.5 which just puts into perspective how great McGrath was. Warne took 340 at 26.5. It appalls me how Gillespie comes as an almost after thought now. Gillespie, in his own right, is among the great fast bowlers.

viriya

International Captain
I followed most of Gillespie's career. Was such an amazing fast bowler. He could get you via his pace and more in length. You had to play far a lot of the deliveries Gillespie bowled at you. Ashes 2005 and the period around that time ruined his reputation but before that, he was some one who was part of one of the all time great test teams.

Between 1997 and 2004, Gillespie took 238 test wickets at 24.6. How great a test team would Australia have really been had it not been for Gillespie?

McGrath took 376 wickets in the period at 20.5 which just puts into perspective how great McGrath was. Warne took 340 at 26.5. It appalls me how Gillespie comes as an almost after thought now. Gillespie, in his own right, is among the great fast bowlers.
Yea Gillespie was just unfortunate to bowl at the same time 2 ATGs were in his team.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Great shout, Pratts!

Dizzy was a brilliant bowler on his day. Many underrate him because he doesn't have the "stats" to back it up but he completed McGrath so well and was the workhorse in that Aussie side. A name I would add is, Graham Thorpe. Extremely reliable. Did well against all sorts of attack in different conditions.

viriya

International Captain
Ken Barrington
About Barrington, why exactly isn't he rated among the top tier batsmen? imo he should be among the 3 Hs for Eng (Hammond, Hutton, Hobbs), his reputation seems to be that of a grafter.. but his strike rate was just a tad below Dravid's (and Dravid batted during a time when run rates were much higher) and he averaged ~59 during a time only Sobers could compare in that department.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Usually the overrated players play for the influential sides (England, India, Aussie) and the underrated ones play for the less influential sides (SA, SL, NZ).

I'd nominate:

Kumar Sangakkara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Mahela Jayawardene
Jacques Kallis
Shaun Pollock

viriya

International Captain
Usually the overrated players play for the influential sides (England, India, Aussie) and the underrated ones play for the less influential sides (SA, SL, NZ).

I'd nominate:

Kumar Sangakkara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Mahela Jayawardene
Jacques Kallis
Shaun Pollock
I agree with all these except Mahela.. overrated ODI player and slightly overrated Test player.

Chubb

International Regular
About Barrington, why exactly isn't he rated among the top tier batsmen? imo he should be among the 3 Hs for Eng (Hammond, Hutton, Hobbs), his reputation seems to be that of a grafter.. but his strike rate was just a tad below Dravid's (and Dravid batted during a time when run rates were much higher) and he averaged ~59 during a time only Sobers could compare in that department.
As I understand it - and I don't know the stats breakdown - he was very good at cashing in on flat decks and against weaker sides. When he played stronger teams he was still a very fine player but not in the top class, like averaging 40+ rather than nearly 60.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

I'd nominate:

Kumar Sangakkara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Mahela Jayawardene
Jacques Kallis
Shaun Pollock
Yep

viriya

International Captain
As I understand it - and I don't know the stats breakdown - he was very good at cashing in on flat decks and against weaker sides. When he played stronger teams he was still a very fine player but not in the top class, like averaging 40+ rather than nearly 60.
Not sure that's true:
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

His only weak record is vs WI at 35.. he averaged 70 away.. and WI bowling wasn't necessarily world beating in the 60s.. sure they had Lance Gibbs but I wouldn't say they had the best bowling attack? tbf 60s bowling was relatively weak but that shouldn't go against just Barrington.

Chubb

International Regular
I wasn't saying he was weak. He was a very good player indeed, against any bowling, and he justifiably comes up when we talk about all time England teams. But that's why I think his reputation is lower than being regarded as a "great".

Eddie Paynter for different reasons barely gets a mention as a great bat but he has a similarly excellent average.