• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Safeguarding Test Cricket's Future

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
In a post written a few days ago, I spoke of my deep passion for first-class cricket, particularly test cricket. I also spoke of my concern at increasingly embarrassing attendances at test matches, a trend that shows no sign of reversing.

I apologise in advance if this topic has been done to death on these forums, and I imagine it has been. Worrying about test-cricket's future is nothing new. You could be forgiven for thinking that the worries attached to its future are as much a part of test cricket's fabric as white attire and the red ball.

I am no expert in promotion, but I do believe that any sport can thrive under the right guidance. I will take the examples of snooker and darts. Darts struggled for years, its potential stifled by an overtly traditional and frankly questionable administration. Following the defection of many top players to the PDC from the BDO, the PDC has thrived. Its World Championship, played over the Christmas period, is a highlight of the sporting calendar at this time, while the standard of play has improved enormously. Attendances are fantastic at virtually all its events. There are elements of its typical audience that may attract criticism, some of it deserved, but considering that the game itself has improved tremendously, and so too have the opportunities for players and fans, I see no issue. It involved no tweaking with the basic fabric of the sport itself. Snooker struggled for much of the 2000's, but has seen a dramatic improvement under the stewardship of Barry Hearn, the same man at the head of the PDC.

I feel something needs to change with test cricket. The game itself is fine, and it should never turn to such nonsense as power plays (which I feel has made a mess of the likeable ODI format). If the game had to turn away many disappointed fans for Ashes test matches less than ten years ago, the format clearly has potential to draw good crowds on a regular basis. I feel day-night matches are an interesting option. the game is too bound by tradition. I am no expert in marketing, but I see no problem with deviating from the tradition of wearing all-white, although that is a slight issue and is sidestepping more serious matters.

I think test cricket needs a more meaningful competitive structure. I am not sure if the proposed test match world championships would provide the correct format for this to happen, as its knockout structure leads to all sorts of issues and headaches, particularly with draws. Even if you extend the matches lengths to six days, it may reduce the intriguing significance of the declaration, and even at six days producing a result is STILL not guaranteed. I feel a two-tier league structure, with promotion and relegation, is the way to go. You could perhaps have eight 'test' playing nations at any one time. If I'm being honest, I am also not sure if MOST test-series pairings are all that identifiable with many audiences, and that is why a meaningful, recognizable competition is something test cricket needs. That is what any sport needs. Allow the series' that respective national boards want to organise to take place during particular windows. The Ashes should always be a central part of test cricket, and that is the way it would remain, as would be the case with other great series, or series between the top teams of the time. A league format should be structured in such a way as to allow this to happen separately to the league itself.

In regard to Jason Gillespie's suggestions with giving Ireland test status, there is nothing I would love more, and I actually think Ireland have done more to earn this status than Bangladesh had done. However, those nations were given their status too soon, and I feel patience is needed with Ireland. Allow Ireland to play one off matches at home, and allow its domestic structures to improve (the effectively first class competition is a step in the right direction, but needs time to improve). In time, give Ireland more room to maneuver. But do not make the same mistakes as were made with Bangladesh in rushing the situation. Another genuinely competitive test nation would be wonderful for the game, but for that to happen it may take some time.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Granted it is one of the lesser points you make but Zimbabwe were not given Test status too soon. They didnt lost either of their first two Tests. Only lost 4 of their first 10 and didnt lose any of their first 5 homes Tests. Zimbabwe had other issues rather than timing.

Boundary

Cricket Spectator
Granted it is one of the lesser points you make but Zimbabwe were not given Test status too soon. They didnt lost either of their first two Tests. Only lost 4 of their first 10 and didnt lose any of their first 5 homes Tests. Zimbabwe had other issues rather than timing.
That's correct now that I think of it, and I will alter the OP accordingly.

cnerd123

likes this
Problem with discussing this topic is that there is nothing we can do to save test cricket anyways. The power to make changes is in the hands of those who are too busy counting the money they are making off this game to check CW and read our ideas.

howardj

International Coach
I agree very much with Gotspin- as a starting point, day-night Tests commencing on Thursdays and Fridays is a no-brainer

AFL and NRL and other major sports don't play their marque events weekdays in daylight

howardj

International Coach
I agree very much with Gotspin- as a starting point, day-night Tests commencing on Thursdays and Fridays is a no-brainer

AFL and NRL and other major sports don't play their marque events weekdays in daylight

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I'm all up for day night tests if the ball issue is solved. But definitely agree with starting on Thursdays.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love nothing more than a well thought-out and well promoted World Test Championship with the top 4 ranked teams.

Niall

International Coach
4 day test matches, starting Thursday or Friday. Day Night tests is a good idea, although it should be the choice of the hosting team.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Dont agree With shortening the length of test matches. Dont see any reason for it, and besides, teams are scoring faster than ever now.

England can keep day test matches but i really think day night matches are the way of the future. Isnt the whole point to make the sport as accesible as possible to everyone? Not sure if 11am on a tuesday morning really covers that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love nothing more than a well thought-out and well promoted World Test Championship with the top 4 ranked teams.
I dont really like the idea of a test championship. Its a quick spiral to the way ODIs are treated now.

Besides, i like the idea of teams battling it out for individual trophies.

A better option is a two tiered system seperating the top two halves, while creating a third tier for the newcomers that cricket needs to make a better effort at bringing in.

Its such a shame Bangladesh have ****ed up so much. Ruins it for everyone else

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

No but big golf tournaments do and they are the closest in length - both in days and play per day.

As I previously said, I think Day/Night Tests need to fit into the sporting culture of the host nation. Day Test cricket works very well in England. Book the day off work, spend the day in the sun, beers and night out after - when it all goes well.

Losing a night out after and losing the day off in the sun takes away from the event and specialness of it and given the price you are paying it needs to be an event. In a small sample size over the past couple of years Test crowds in the UK have fallen but I dont think that has anything to do with the timing. I think a move to day/night cricket would hurt crowds in UK rather than help.

EDIT - Regards the ball. There is the obvious clear answer which people dont seem to want to address but Day/Night Test cricket would work best with white ball and coloured clothing.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea of 4-day tests (with the chance to add a 5th day when sessions are lost due to the rain). One proviso I'd like to see would be 105-100 overs per day. Considering SL only bowled 80 in 6 1/2 hours, I can't see it working.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
2-tiered system will never work; India is about to drop to no 7 in the rankings and they!ve got 90% of the money!

I like the idea of a Ranfurly Shield style challenge system where a major trophy can be gained by beating the holders in the final test of a series. South Africa would've held it before losing to Australia, then Pakistan winning it and finally NZ getting it off Pak

Niall

International Coach
Also the toss really shouldn't be that important, but crikey mainly in UAE, it is death to lose it.

Maybe instead let the touring side at the beginning of a test chose whether they should bat or bowl first?
??

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also the toss really shouldn't be that important, but crikey mainly in UAE, it is death to lose it.

Maybe instead let the touring side at the beginning of a test chose whether they should bat or bowl first?
??
Good idea, but it wouldn't achieve much without neutral curators/groundsmen, which could never happen

Teja.

Global Moderator
Two-tiered system is insane due to the instability in the rankings. India were thrashed 8-0 not too long ago and then thrashed Australia 4-0 at home and will now be thrashed away again after the drubbin in England while Australia were given one of the most comprehensive whitewashes of all-time in UAE while being close to the top. It'll be **** if a 'top' tier team can't compete with a lower tier team away let alone beat them and that is even without considering results like SL's win in England and NZ's draw in UAE.

There's just far too much randomness in cricket right now to justify a tier system.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I would probably agree With you about that. I would, however, still introduce another tier in order to bring in new test teams