• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amla or De Villiers?

Who?

• Amla

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • De Villiers

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Chris Martin

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

MrPrez

International Debutant
Who is the better batsman between the two?

It's quite an interesting comparison. They're within a run of each other average-wise. AB is possibly more of a matchwinner, but Amla is more likely to score big and anchor an innings.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is AB more of a match-winner? Amla's been better for the majority of his career. In the last year or so, though, AB has stepped up and is pretty much equally good.

Will still go for Hash, though.

OverratedSanity

I think Dawood made a compelling argument in favour of ABdV

Devillier has the ability to show ball the right path, there are two ways to do so, 1. form where the ball is coming, 2 where the ball is going to
Amla can just hit the ball harder with the use of timing and strock
Devilliers is younger so he will learn with the passage of time
Devilliers plays in all the situations and conditons while all amla is a powerplay player
Devilliers takes all the pressure on himself, while amla puts the pressure on his partner and starts hitting fours
So Devillieris can be said as better

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I probably prefer de Villiers these days tbh. Really did it for me when Johnson was running riot in the early stages of the series earlier in the year.

Captain

Cricket Spectator
ABD for me.

Devilliers is very flexible with the way he plays.He can score at run a ball without breaking a sweat and then accelerate at will.That is one area where i find Amla to be not so good i.e accelerating the scoring. Also,ABD has shown time and again that he can thrive under pressure which can't be said about Amla.

OverratedSanity

ABD for me.

Devilliers is very flexible with the way he plays.He can score at run a ball without breaking a sweat and then accelerate at will.That is one area where i find Amla to be not so good i.e accelerating the scoring. Also,ABD has shown time and again that he can thrive under pressure which can't be said about Amla.
Nonsense. Amla destroyed Australia at Perth in a way few batsman can. And he's played his share of high pressure knocks. Honestly many more than AB.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
This is all bollocks.

Riggins

International Captain
I think AB is the better player. If I could only pick one to play for us though it would be Amla every time.

Gob

International Coach
Yeah if anything it's devilliers who up until recently used to come and pile it on when all of smith,kallis and amla had already piled it on before him.

That being said the bloke is unbelievably talented.not many can even dream of doing certain things that he can do with the bat atm its almost as if cricket is matrix, devilliers is neo.

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The funny thing is, i was just about to to ask this.I prefer amla he's the man for an emergency and he handles them well, unless, it's a limited overs game and he needs to score quickly, i feel he lacks the power to consistently hit big sixes

MrPrez

International Debutant
Amla is the man to start a big innings, but De Villiers is the guy you want when the going is tough. At least from my perspective.

akilana

International 12th Man
AB. From the time he walks in, he looks untroubled whether it's against Johnson or Ajmal. He needs to stop getting out in 90s and should turn some of his hundreds into doubles. Batting at 5 doesn't help.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Amla is great but I'd take ABdV. The guy is ****ing dynamite, can't think of anyone apart from Sanga I'd take ahead of him for a batting spot.

I'll be disappointed if he doesn't end his career as the clear winner of the Clarke-Pietersen-Cook-Amla etc. group.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was referring to ODI cricket to be specific.

Care to explain?
So on CW we have this increasingly oft-written "rule"/convention, which is that if it doesn't say T20s or ODIs in the original post or thread title, then it's about Tests exclusively.