• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are we really going to pretend that Murali Vijay....

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
...isn't the second best opener in the world behind David Warner?

And no "There aren't any other quality openers" nonsense. Runs in ENgland , runs in South Africa, runs in Australia. 3 best attacks in world cricket and the 3 toughest conditions for India traditionally. He's awesome and we should all bow down to his ***iness

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
...isn't the second best opener in the world behind David Warner?

And no "There aren't any other quality openers" nonsense. Runs in ENgland , runs in South Africa, runs in Australia. 3 best attacks in world cricket and the 3 toughest conditions for India traditionally. He's awesome and we should all bow down to his ***iness
On form basis, yes. But overall, isn't he competing with Cook for that? or for that matter, Warner? Cook was talked upon as the best batsman in the world at one point, almost equal to Clarke and supposed to have the best chance to overtake Tendulkar's record in tests. Though he is out of form now, on career level, Warner and Vijay have still got a lot of catching up to do.

Flem274*

123/5
If you're judging it by career then Cook is the best opener around but if it's who is playing well in the last 12 months or so then Warner and Vijay are your boys.

OverratedSanity

On form basis, yes. But overall, isn't he competing with Cook for that? or for that matter, Warner? Cook was talked upon as the best batsman in the world at one point, almost equal to Clarke and supposed to have the best chance to overtake Tendulkar's record in tests. Though he is out of form now, on career level, Warner and Vijay have still got a lot of catching up to do.
Obviously this is about the current situation. In a world XI, it's Warner and Vijay opening. It's been that way for a while too.

morgieb

Cook's been fairly dire since the tour of India IIRC, which was two years ago.

So yes, but it wouldn't surprise me if Latham and/or Brathwaite overtake him in the near future.

Zinzan

WW: Braithwaite, Gayle
Hendrix: Latham
Most people: Still probably Cook eh?
Warner & Vijay for me with Braithwaite & Latham not too far behind.

Nobody in their right mind would say Cook right now based on his average of 33 in the last 2 years. And that's over 40 innings, so not a small sample.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Warner & Vijay for me with Braithwaite & Latham not too far behind.

Nobody in their right mind would say Cook right now based on his average of 33 in the last 2 years. And that's over 40 innings, so not a small sample.
He is only 29, if he finds the form of 2010-2012 he'll be the best by a long margin again.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I rate Tom Latham. Great technique. Knows his game so well. Knows exactly what to play and what not to play according to his abilities. I am very impressed by him. I hope he has a great career. I am actually most excited about Latham among the three openers.

Zinzan

Everyone believed Cook had a legitimate chance of beating Sachin's run tally. Funny times.
Yeah although tbf in 2012 he was still around 27 with 7000 runs already, averaging over 1000 runs a year, and was looking a chance to do so for another 9 years, especially given the amount of Tests England get to play.

Screenshot.png36.png

Saying it hasn't quite gone to plan since then is an understatement.

Zinzan

He is only 29, if he finds the form of 2010-2012 he'll be the best by a long margin again.
That's true, (although tbf even his 2010-12 form wouldn't see him a long margin ahead of Warner, especially considering the SR Warner scores at), but I assumed the OP was talking about 'current', and averaging 33 in his last 40 innings sees him behind the likes of Warner & Vijay if I was picking a team today.

Teja.

Global Moderator
England in the top three attacks in world cricket is pushing things somewhat.
To be fair, England has the second best home attack in the world with a fit Australian attack (somewhat of a myth) pushing them for the spot. In the last five years, Anderson and Broad alone have 278 home wickets @ 24. They're drastically less efficient away but Anderson and Broad in swinging conditions are awesome.