• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone tell me about use of cricket supporter?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I just want to know whether players wear it all the time or just while batting ?
I expect this to be at least a twenty page nuanced discussion where some CW posting careers will be enhanced while others will suffer a setback.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A guy who used to play in my team did wear his in the field on occasion; he had a Michael Clarke-esque ability to get hit there, only while fielding rather than during his spell at the batting crease.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok can't resist.........

The only cricket player I know of that has been known to wear a cricket supporter is Virat Kohli that time Jono locked onto his leg and wouldn't let go :ph34r:

cnerd123

likes this
When I was a kid in coaching the coach would insist we wear it during warmups fielding drills and batting. Partly to get used to it, partly because we were clumsy unco-ordinated kids.

Then we got older and were allowed to wear it as fit. Never wore it in the field then.

Spark

Global Moderator
A guy who used to play in my team did wear his in the field on occasion; he had a Michael Clarke-esque ability to get hit there, only while fielding rather than during his spell at the batting crease.
he hasn't been hit that much this year iirc, perhaps that's why he's stopped scoring as many runs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I was playing under 10s, a mate of mine saw one for the first time, didn't know what it was and put it under his cap, thinking it was a head protector.

That same season, one of the kids on our team was running between wickets, his protector fell out so he stopped to pick it up and was run out.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We told some 8 year old it was a nose guard, so he walked around with the team box on his face for 5 minutes. Ah the memories of the team box.

BeeGee

International Captain
I was a wicket keeper so I wore mine batting and fielding.

I also wore it when I dumped my girlfriend for her best friend. It wasn't needed in the end, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
When I was playing under 10s, a mate of mine saw one for the first time, didn't know what it was and put it under his cap, thinking it was a head protector.

That same season, one of the kids on our team was running between wickets, his protector fell out so he stopped to pick it up and was run out.
When I was keeping as a kid, the batsman's box fell out of his shorts leg as he stretched forward to defend. The ball got through him and was rolling back towards his stumps when it hit his box and deflected away from the stumps! I was so pissed that he wasn't given out.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've often said "I don't know why I bother with a box I never get hit there".

2 weekends ago got hit flush in the **** (with a box in). ****ing left armers.

My balls still feel odd.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was a wicket keeper so I wore mine batting and fielding.

I also wore it when I dumped my girlfriend for for best friend. It wasn't needed in the end, but better safe than sorry.
It's like the end-of-relationship version of practicing safe ***.

Ike

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adding a (rare) serious post to this fun thread, I would guess it would make sense to wear one if playing a silly position or bat-pad? Not that I'd every play those positions myself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Adding a (rare) serious post to this fun thread, I would guess it would make sense to wear one if playing a silly position or bat-pad? Not that I'd every play those positions myself.
absolutely - good post

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've often said "I don't know why I bother with a box I never get hit there".

2 weekends ago got hit flush in the **** (with a box in). ****ing left armers.

My balls still feel odd.
Heaven help you if you are a junior playing senior cricket and you get hit in the box. Suddenly everyone is a comedian.