• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keeping head

mrclack73

Cricket Spectator
Hello all,
I have a habit of losing my head in games and going after a juicy one. How can I avoid this? Thanks heaps for your responses:)

cnerd123

likes this
Have a chart in the dressing room tracking your batting average and encourage your teammates to mock you as it drops.

BeeGee

International Captain
Practice, practice and more practice. When you train in the nets, go through entire sessions where you only play defensive strokes. No matter what is bowled, play it defensively or leave it. If you practice it enough it will become second nature and you will have no problem disciplining yourself to not go after the loose deliveries until you're set.

Blocky

Banned
Formulating a proper gameplan and having stages/phases in that gameplan that you're actively playing for, including an assertion for that particular phase that reminds you what you're looking to do. This was the gameplan for one of the last games I played as an opening batsman, highly detailed and yours probably won't need to be, but for me it helped me think about what I was looking to achieve, what the keys to achieving it would be and what options I'd permit myself. Note that my goals also included batting time which helped with concerntration. My second phase would generally be starting to open up different shot options such as the cut shot, the pull shot and being open to lofting the spin bowlers, my third phase would generally be batting at a good tempo, looking to score at better than a run a ball and taking on the fielders with some harder hitting.

Batting: Three Phases

Phase 1: Building phase
Time: 0 – 20 overs

Mantra: Get forward, watch the ball

Focus Points:
Strong defensive platform
Play with soft hands
Get forward
Play late
Leave well

Scoring Shots
Punch into off side for singles