• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia 1st test candidates

the big bambino

International Captain
Assuming Rogers Warner Watson Smith Haddin Johnson Harris and Lyon are certs that leaves a pace bowler and 2 middle order spot open. Of course this assumes Clarke really is busted for the summer as some recent reports are recanting on the earlier headline that he is out for the India series.

I'm not sure if M Marsh can be rated a certainty as some have speculated we wont play both him and Twatto. All the same I'd rate M Marsh as favourite for incumbency. Then in weight of runs Ferguson S Marsh Joe Burns Cam White Hughes Doolan and finally Usman who is injured but has some track record and batted well in the Matador Cup. Realistically the field falls right away after Joe Burns though another round of shield might change things.

Fast bowling spot might see Siddle as slight fave over Hazlewood. Do the selectors favour Siddle's form against weaker oppo in the FC format or Hazlewood's great form against class oppo in the "wrong" format? While there are many other good quickies I think its btwn those 2 with Starc a smokie.

Anyone else you'd consider?

dermo

International Vice-Captain
read today they announce the squad on monday so the next round of shield games is irrelevant

the big bambino

International Captain
Ah yes. Thems the days. Good chance they could pick both Marsh's and Watson. Could end up with an 8 man team by day 2.

U19 12th Man
I don't know. I can't see him missing the squad, but watching his bowling I wouldn't be surprised if watto was made 12th man. They've said it's his bowling that earns him selection, and it has been dismal. I'd be picking Marsh.

uvelocity

International Coach
C Bannerman
NFD Thomson
TP Horan
DW Gregory
BB Cooper
WE Midwinter
EJ Gregory
JM Blackham†
TW Garrett
TK Kendall
JR Hodges

imo

Tangles

Sounds like Clarke is doubtful for Brisbane due to not even running right now. If he misses the Shield game but is fit having played no cricket then he probably should miss out. The talk of being out for the summer is now looming like crap from Howard. If he does miss Brisbane but then is good after that it seems a golden opportunity to try out Smith captaining for 1 test.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Clarke plays in Brisbane then we should search his house for dark magic, because there's no way you go from "literally having trouble getting out of bed" to "Test match fit" in two weeks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my nation's hour of need, I am prepared to put my name forward as a candidate for the Gabba Test.

Tangles

Nate hasn't done a lot recently to be in front of SOK other than being the incumbent so I'd be ok with that but I can't see it happening. Lyon dropped for 6 man pace attack or random spinner is more likely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It wouldn't be the start of a home summer if Lyon isn't treated shabbily by the Test selectors.

Riggins

International Captain
Nate hasn't done a lot recently to be in front of SOK other than being the incumbent so I'd be ok with that but I can't see it happening. Lyon dropped for 6 man pace attack or random spinner is more likely.
Other than being a better bowler, of course.

dermo

When he throws it up. What I saw in the UAE and the last Shield game was flat.
the length he bowled in the uae is the length he always bowls, he needs b0unce and when it's not there he looks flat and very average. you don't see him getting many classic off spinner wickets bowling blokes through the gate, he gets a lot of bat pads and caught behinds off cut shots

all about the b0unce

Tangles

If ODI form puts Haze in contention then I fear it also puts Arun in contention. #intent

I'd rather Clarke play in a wheelchair than that travesty.