• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Auction Draft

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. I am looking for 10 drafters, who will select among 120 available ODI players decided by me. Idea is to end up with best playing XI. Method is open auction in the thread - bidding and out-bidding will occur in the thread. A drafter can outbid for the same player as many times as he wants before the round deadline. But a drafter can't retract his bid.
2. One player = 1 round. So, there will be 120 rounds. Rounds end-times will be after each 9 hours. Auction results will be automatically decided (and declared later) after 9 hours. I've picked 9 hours so that no particular timezone gets benefited throughout. When declaring a player, I'll declare the next 1-8 players so that the draft runs seamlessly even when I'm away. [Drafters are expected to know which player is for sale when keeping the 9 hour limit in mind]
3. Total budget per drafter = 15 million. Minimum initial bid = 0.05 mn. Minimum outbid amount = 0.01 mn. [e.g., minimum amount required to outbid a 1.26 mn bid is 1.27 mn]
4. I have a method to decide the 120 players, but I won't disclose that fully. They might or might not be the 120 best ODI players ever. I can only disclose that at least 110 among those 120 players have played World Cup Semifinals at some point.
5. If one player doesn't get a bid, he doesn't get selected. So, total number of players selected becomes less than 120.
6. Bidding is always allowed for all declared players before respective deadlines. Drafters don't have to wait for earlier players' auctions to end for bidding on the next players.

Let me know if anybody has any suggestion / want a clarification.

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
My 2c, this will fizz out if you don't keep the length way down. 6 weeks max. Dropping it down to 8 drafters might be a good idea.

Agree with 2 players per round too.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I want to start a 'Worldcup - 2015 Draft' on the basis of the performance so lets make sure we can finish this well before the WC. Refer to World Cup 2011 Draft for more information. Maybe we will make it more interesting and will change a rule or two after talking to fellow Drafters @ CW.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Make the time between picks 4 or 6 hours instead of 12. It still works just as well imo, and people don't really miss out much at all.

I'll play if there's room.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What about 9 hours per round? That'll end the draft on 4th Jan if we start today, enough time for kk to run his WC '15 draft judging by the earlier draft (WC starts on Valentine's Day). In fact, he can start by 1st Jan or so, when this draft will be on the wane.

Now, here is an important change to the rule while making every round 9 hours, so that people don't miss important players:
Drafters are allowed to bid for all players whose names have been declared.

Example: I declare
1. Rohan Gavaskar
2. Jason Gillespie
A drafter can start bidding for Gillespie if he wants to, even when Rohan's time is on and others (and maybe also himself) are bidding for Rohan. In that way, people won't miss out on important players. But make sure that you always mention the name of the player when bidding.

How does that sound? Quick feedback please..

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah I will need time as we will be picking players from WC Probables. Plus we will keep an exchange Window so the replacements can be brought in.

Starting from Jan 1st week will be fine.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ok that sounds good; OP is updated. Sign-ups till now are:
1. Saint Kopite
2. morgieb
3. ohnoitsyou
4. kingkallis
5. Red Hill
6. longranger

waiting for 4 more before we start

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What about the unpicked players....will there be a quick 2nd auction for them at the end?
No 2nd auction for unpicked players - if you don't even put a 0.05 mn bid for a player, the risk is yours

Another aspect of this auction is that if one drafter achieves getting 22 players that ensures at least another drafter can't complete his XI

I'll not protect anyone from any such possibilities. It's the drafters' responsibility to save their own arses.