• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis and Sanga

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These two are extraordinarily similar in that they debuted almost at the same time, have been mainstays of their side's batting for a while, are ridiculously consistent, can turn hundreds into absolutely massive scores and do well in the few chances they get overseas. So why is it then that Younis gets nowhere near the adulation Sanga does? Maybe it's because, for a variety of reasons, Younis hasn't played the amount of games Sanga has? Given the fact that they've played their whole careers in the exact same time, it's an apt comparison to make.

I've always admired Younis greatly, and he has as good a record as Sanga does, except he doesn't get to bash minnows every other week. :ph34r:

Seriously though, I don't think placing Sanga far above him like most do is fair. Have always rated Younis highly, and not just jumping on the bandwagon now, but there you go.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Seriously though, I don't think placing Sanga far above him like most do is unfair.
is this what you mean to write because i'm slightly confused by this post

cnerd123

likes this
Yea OS wtf get your **** together.

Seriously tho; I like Sanga better because I find him easier on the eye. He has also held more batting responsibility that Younis, who has arguably had more good batsmen around him.

Playing more matches should be a credit to Sanga too - Younis has been dropped/puled out of series for some silly reasons hasn't he? More time off, less pressure and expectations, makes life easier.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh, don't buy that Sanga has had a weaker batting lineup around him. Younis had Yousuf and Inzi in the first 5-6 years, but in the recent past it's basically been him and Misbah. Pretty similar to Sanga... who's always had Mahela, had Samaraweera and Dilshan too, and now Angelo.

Younis not playing enough is definitely an issue, and imo, the only issue.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Younis probably has more significantly more problems playing pace and bounce compared to Sanga who is quite good at it.

cnerd123

likes this
Eh, don't buy that Sanga has had a weaker batting lineup around him. Younis had Yousuf and Inzi in the first 5-6 years, but in the recent past it's basically been him and Misbah. Pretty similar to Sanga... who's always had Mahela, had Samaraweera and Dilshan too, and now Angelo.

Younis not playing enough is definitely an issue, and imo, the only issue.
Pakistan's meh batsmen (Hafeez, Farhat, Akmals, Taufeeq, Faisal Iqbal, Asif Kamal, etc) have generally as a whole done better than Sri Lanka's meh batsmen IMO. As a whole unit Pak's batting has always struck me as better than Sri Lanka's, which has really relied on a handful of batsmen for a long, long time.

Maybe I'll go look it up in Statsguru sometime actually. Pakistan's batting average with Younis vs. SL's batting average with Sanga, and the overall records of all batsmen who have played alongside these two over their careers. Would be interesting to see. Plus maybe a home/away comparison and a year-by-year analysis.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They are probably two of the finest players to have represented lesser nations over the course of the last decade or so, that much is certain. It would have been interesting to see how either would have done playing for a good side.

anil1405

International Captain
Talking about representing the lesser nations, where would Chanderpaul fit in compared to these two?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, good point. You'd have to rank him pretty high up in a list of all the players to have turned out for inappreciable sides.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fact if we're talking about players who play for inferior countries then Ponting wins this one hands down.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sledger's 'Lesser Nations' include all the Nations that play cricket for something more than mere ashes, I assume?