• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mathew Sinclair - Interview for Cricket Web

gvenkat

State Captain
Guys, we may have an opportunity to talk to Mat sometime soon. Please feel free to post any questions you may have. We may be able to incorporate most if not all as part of the interview.

Cheers
-GV

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
During his career, he faced ageing behemoths in the likes of Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Allan Donald. Could he say something about facing such legends in their decline (if at all), and if it was easier than he had expected?

gvenkat

State Captain
During his career, he faced ageing behemoths in the likes of Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Allan Donald. Could he say something about facing such legends in their decline (if at all), and if it was easier than he had expected?
Thanks Harsh..

cnerd123

likes this
Would it be too harsh to ask him his opinion on what went wrong with his international career? 214 on debut, two double tons in his first 12 Tests, ends up playing only 21 more Tests, scoring one more ton, and with an average of 32. Pretty surprising.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could you ask him about his 150 against South Africa? Anything about it. Great knock.

Edit: Hmmm, how about asking him if there was a sort of morbid satisfaction that he was able to hit a great ton against an amazing attack when the rest of the batsmen did nothing or would the ton have felt just as satisfying if he'd had some more support?

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Simple - he wasn't well liked by the "leadership group" - namely Fleming, he refused to take guidance on his technique until late in his career and was never backed through a consistent run in the side after his first couple of series... he also had a tendency of being selected right around when they played Australia or England who detonated him every time due to his feet-work.

He -should- have played 100 tests at least for his country, but after his initial two seasons where he played a total of 17 tests, the rest of his 15 tests took him 6 seasons. He was never backed consistently enough to allow him to acclimatize to test cricket and become more consistent.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to know if he has any regrets. Was there anything he could've done differently? Was he too stubborn to change? Did he work hard enough? Did he ignore Martin Crowe's attempts to work with him, as Martin suggests he did? Or does he believe he wasn't afforded enough opportunities based predominantly around his personality and the fact he didn't fit into the clique?

Mike5181

International Captain
Which bowlers in first-class cricket (that weren't regular test players) did he have the most difficulty playing against?

Blocky

Banned
Which bowlers in first-class cricket (that weren't regular test players) did he have the most difficulty playing against?
I know he regarded Andrew Schwass as a top bowler and someone he felt should've been offered international opportunities. I also think you'll see him say Arnel and Aldridge.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I know he regarded Andrew Schwass as a top bowler and someone he felt should've been offered international opportunities. I also think you'll see him say Arnel and Aldridge.
I get the feeling the idea is to let Mathew Sinclair himself field them, old gun.

gvenkat

State Captain
Great Stuff guys. I have incorporated most of the Stuff already one way or the other. . I will definitely ask him about this

Blocky

Banned
I get the feeling the idea is to let Mathew Sinclair himself field them, old gun.
Sure, but part of the reason I'm throwing my answers out there is to see if I know Skippy as well as I think I do... one of the few guys I've bowled extensively at without dismissing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do you think your career can teach current and future administrators anything about the value of domestic performances or the importance of continuity in selection when developing a processed selection policy?