• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Zimbabwe in Bangladesh 2014

James

Cricket Web Owner
Mon Oct 20 - Wed Oct 22
Bangladesh Cricket Board XI v Zimbabweans
Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium, Fatullah

Sat Oct 25 - Wed Oct 29
1st Test - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur

Mon Nov 3 - Fri Nov 7
2nd Test - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
Sheikh Abu Naser Stadium, Khulna

Wed Nov 12 - Sun Nov 16
3rd Test - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium, Chittagong

Wed Nov 19 (50 ovs)
TBC v Zimbabweans
Venue TBC

Fri Nov 21 (50 ovs)
1st ODI - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Sun Nov 23 (50 ovs)
2nd ODI - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Wed Nov 26 (50 ovs)
3rd ODI - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Fri Nov 28 (50 ovs)
4th ODI - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

Mon Dec 1 (50 ovs)
5th ODI - Bangladesh v Zimbabwe

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuinely intersted in this. Zimbabwe have been pretty decent, but I'd be surprised if they did well in Bangladesh. Would love it if they won.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Genuinely intersted in this. Zimbabwe have been pretty decent, but I'd be surprised if they did well in Bangladesh. Would love it if they won.
Things have been getting much worse on the administration side since Zimbabwe won that Test against Pakistan too, decent showing in the ODIs against Aus/RSA notwithstanding. The head coach is insane, there is no support staff, the players still aren't getting paid and it just gets more divisive by the day. I'm not very optimistic but Bangladesh are Bangladesh so you never know. I love these series.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Sean Williams out of the tour due to a run in with the coach. What a joke. He's unquestionably Zimbabwe's most important player on the sub-continent.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Zimbabwe team looks much stronger now with the return of some players like Craig Ervine but too much changes could initially be bad for them. Its an interesting series no doubt even though its a very low-key one considering both are minnows. Zimbabwe should have confidence on their side as they have fought well in the recent triangular series against 2 of the top teams but their A team has recently struggled on tour to Bangladesh so it won't be an easy tour for sure for the Zimbabweans. However, one of the bright sides for them is that many of their players have played in Bangladesh a lot before especially in their BPL (20 over) and DPL (50 over) tournaments so playing IN Bangladesh and the team itself isn't alien to them. So its for sure going to be an interesting series. How Zimbabwe will do? well it depends a lot on the type of pitches that Bangladesh prepare but I personally can't see Zimbabwe beating Bangladesh in their conditions but expect them to fight hard. Interestingly! the practice game coming up before the 1st test, Bangladesh have not picked 1 left-arm spinner so it gives us a clue that Bangladesh will prepare slow-low-spinning surfaces come the test series. The main and key player of Zimbabwe I think is Brendan Taylor if Zimbabwe are to thrive there.

As for Bangladesh, they have had a disastrous year in terms of results but if you look at those matches carefully, with most of those games especially in ODIs they had fought and competed really well but really just unlucky that a lot of the games didn't go their own way, games they should've really won. Recently, their board has made a huge decision on the captaincy role and decided to have a split-captaincy for Tests and limited overs. Mushfiqur Rahim has been stripped of his ODI captaincy because of a string of ODI losses this year but retains the Test captaincy because Bangladesh have had good results under him in the games most prestigious format since 2012. Mashrafe is the new ODI captain for Bangladesh with both Shakib and Tamim as vice-captains for ODIs and Tests, so its clearly obvious BCB want their 4 most experienced players held accountable for Bangladesh's results and performances, rather than putting the blame on 1 person. I think this is a very bold move and Bangladesh should look to start fresh from that, forget about the results from this year and move on by starting to beat Zimbabwe. If they can do that then this should give them confidence leading onto a very challenging 2015 where not only they have the world cup but series against Pakistan, India, South Africa and yes Australia. The main and key player of Bangladesh is unquestionably their best player in Shakib Al Hasan who has had a controversial year and was initially banned for 6 months only to have had it reduced and recently served finishing the reduce quota of his ban and is now fully available for the Zimbabwe series.

How Bangladesh will fair well it depends on their attitude. They have really been impressive in their conditions since 2012 nearly winning the Asia Cup, winning the ODI series against both the West Indies and New Zealand that too without their best player Shakib. They also drew an ODI series against Sri Lanka and drew 4 test matches against both Sri Lanka and New Zealand. So prediction wise, I can't really see Zimbabwe winning based on those recent achievements by Bangladesh but nevertheless it is an interesting series despite it being a low-key one.

This series is an unusual one for both teams as its their first 3 match test series in over a decade and along with the 5 ODIs makes this bilateral series a very long one. So its a challenging one for both sides.

My prediction:-

Test series 3-0 to Bangladesh and ODI series 5-0 to Bangladesh.

Good luck to both teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe team looks much stronger now with the return of some players like Craig Ervine
Nah, Zimbabwe are weaker. Ervine's the only player coming back, and Williams who has left is better than him particularly when you take into account the latter's bowling. Utseya's ban and Vermeulen being dropped for Chari also make them weaker.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
the Gazi ban sort of offsets the Utseya ban, and Shakib's absence is somewhat comparable to Williams I guess, interesting

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Williams is surely being overrated on here. I think are big questions about him being Zim's most important player in these conditions. The captain Taylor is surely more important and I think Masakadza is too, for starters.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
Williams is surely being overrated on here. I think are big questions about him being Zim's most important player in these conditions. The captain Taylor is surely more important and I think Masakadza is too, for starters.
Ofcourse Taylor is important but Williams has been pretty good IMO whenever he has played in the subcontinent. So it wouldnt be a good thing to not take him along

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
BD news: Anamul and Nasir will not be participating for the 1st test. Nasir has been in very poor form and Anamul has struggled in this format mainly due to his very poor technique. Also they have decided to use the SG balls for test series rather than the kookaburra balls which is another proof Bangladesh are going with a heavy load of spinners and a turning wicket for test matches. BD test squad will be named soon.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ofcourse Taylor is important but Williams has been pretty good IMO whenever he has played in the subcontinent. So it wouldnt be a good thing to not take him along
Not really my point. I'm disagreeing with the statement that Williams is unquestionably Zims most important player in these conditions.

Chubb

International Regular
I'm interested in why Brian Chari has been selected. He played a couple of good knocks on the A tour but his stats are extremely poor, even for the Logan Cup. It is hard to tell without actually watching him bat why he's floated around the fringe of the national team for a while now. Would be interested to hear if anyone has seen him play.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Zimbabwe batsman struggled in the practice match against BCB XI. They have been bowled out for 241. I know this is their first game on tour but many of their players have been on the recent A tour and the batting result was the same from them. What's funny is that the spinners in that BCB XI line-up were mainly part timers and no left arm spinners were used. I'm afraid Zimbabwe need to tune up fast otherwise they are going to flop big time. Shakib's spin bowling has advanced a lot now even Indian players at IPL struggled with his spin. Zimbabwe need to have a very good plan to counteract the likes of Shakib along with Taijul, Mahmudullah and possibly a leg spinner in Jubair who was part of that recent A series and took wickets.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
This BCB XI has already surpassed the total the Zimbabweans entire batsman have put up. There are only 2 likely player from that BCB XI that are very likely to be in the test match Shamsur and Hom both who have scored and played more than a 100 balls. I wish Zimbabwe luck come the main series.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zimbabwe batsman struggled in the practice match against BCB XI. They have been bowled out for 241. I know this is their first game on tour but many of their players have been on the recent A tour and the batting result was the same from them. What's funny is that the spinners in that BCB XI line-up were mainly part timers and no left arm spinners were used. I'm afraid Zimbabwe need to tune up fast otherwise they are going to flop big time. Shakib's spin bowling has advanced a lot now even Indian players at IPL struggled with his spin. Zimbabwe need to have a very good plan to counteract the likes of Shakib along with Taijul, Mahmudullah and possibly a leg spinner in Jubair who was part of that recent A series and took wickets.
Isn't he still suspended though?

EDIT: Apparently not.

BeeGee

International Captain
This BCB XI has already surpassed the total the Zimbabweans entire batsman have put up. There are only 2 likely player from that BCB XI that are very likely to be in the test match Shamsur and Hom both who have scored and played more than a 100 balls. I wish Zimbabwe luck come the main series.
I know this is a 14 a side game, but the BCB XI bowling 11 different bowlers in the innings is rather impressive.

Flametree

International 12th Man
So, judging from the lack of comments, no-one watching this huh? Taylor to score a lot of runs in the next month....