• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 2nd Best Batsman

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Both been awesome the last 12 months but Warner was good before that as well. Also he was ridiculously epic in South Africa.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would obviously have Smitteh just ahead of Ponting, Chappell, Harvey and Trumper, but just behind Bradman.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's really not possible to go past what Warner did in SA - not that Smith wasn't excellent himself, but opening bats coming to SA and scoring that many runs just doesn't happen

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm also not sure the 1st innings runs under pressure thing is as heavy in Smitteh's favour as you seem to. Most of his runs in the Ashes came at the back end when England where on the ropes (though I'll grant you there was still some pressure at Perth) but Warner scored big in the first couple of tests and effectively killed the series along with Johnson.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i'd actually kind of forgotten just how good warner was in south africa

Riggins

International Captain
Warner IMO. Smitteh will make more runs in the UAE though.

Warner might break some records against the Indian 'attack' this summer.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner. You can't just score 5 scores above 50 in a row against South Africa in South Africa being crap.

watson

Banned
To date Warner has made a total of 2467 runs at 46.54 with 8 centuries and 12 fifties. And all at a Strike Rate of 73.35.

Against the best team in the world (RSA) he's scored 749 runs at 68.09 with a Strike Rate of 84.92 - a Strike Rate that is very close to that other Australian opener, Victor Trumper. In fact, Australia has had to wait more than a 100 years to find another opening batsman with similar fire power.

Still rather have Smith in my side though as he's a better team man overall I reckon.