• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scared of ball

clack73

Cricket Spectator
I know this concept sounds childish, but for some reason I'm scared of the ball, when the ball is near my body. Can someone help me to stop being afraid of the bll and techniques to practise more confidence in this

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think anybody is ever truly happy about getting a ball tucked right up into their armpit or sent towards their head, so I don't think there's much reason to feel silly.

In short, you need to back yourself to hit the ball; jumping away is more likely to get you into the path of the ball than just playing it. Easier said than done though, obviously.

My preferred method of dealing with this problem, back when I had it, was to hit a lot of balls in the nets, probably get hit a couple of times in the process, and come to realise that a) 99% of the time you're going to hit the ball or get something protected in the way and b) it really doesn't hurt that much anyway.

From a technical perspective, working on back foot shots and evading bouncers can be done with tennis balls to start with. Put down a piece of MDF or something on a pitch (to make it skiddier), and get someone to hit/throw/bowl/bowling machine tennis balls at you. Ducking, weaving, back foot defence, controlling a pull shot into the ground would be particular skills to work on. Once they develop, you can move to proper balls and reinforce that you can do it.

cnerd123

likes this
I used to play a game as a kid where we would just hurl tennis balls at each other full-strength and try to hit each other. Kinda like dodgeball. You get hit they get a point, you catch it you get a point.

And then played a lot of tape ball cricket, glove and pad less, bowling quick on rocky/sandy concrete.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are a kid, go out and try that. Take a few blows. You'll learn to not be that scared (the pain only lasts for a moment anyways), and you develop the skills to duck/dodge/evade.

Then when you play hard ball, those skills just kinda transfer naturally. Your instinct takes over.

If you are older, just get a friend and some cricket balls and toss them to each other. Start slow and build up speed. And go for high catches. You'll slowly learn to not be scared of it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know this concept sounds childish, but for some reason I'm scared of the ball, when the ball is near my body. Can someone help me to stop being afraid of the bll and techniques to practise more confidence in this
Ive always been a little nervous of the ball when facing quicks. It is more likely when playing at a higher level as I bat lower, dont bat as frequently and the bowlers are a yard quicker.

Id say the higher you bat, with more responsibility to score runs, helps get rid of the fear. When I have been a primary batsman then the fear of getting out is far greater than the fear of getting hit. When batting 9, 10, 11 it is easy to bat like a 9, 10, 11. Find a level where your team regularly relies on your runs. The fear of letting the team down is greater than the fear of getting hit. The weight of responsibility is often enough to kick your mind into gear.

Also, getting hit isnt too bad. Once hit in an innings it can pull you out of being worried. I always used to bat without a lid even against rapid bowlers - though I wear one now against someone tasty. I felt that if I batted with a lid then I pandered to my all too real fears of the ball - I had to call myself out and challenge myself not to be a *****. I had to play mind games with myself and I still get into line far better without a helmet than when wearing one - now though getting out is less important to me than getting home safely to the wife and kids and being in work on Monday :). I am not saying you should do the same but I would say that knowing your own head and what makes you tick is more important than any batting techniques to practice.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think getting hit once in a while is good for you in some ways. Makes you realise how much it can hurt, and makes you more determined to keep your eyes on the thing so to avoid getting hit again.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive always been a little nervous of the ball when facing quicks. It is more likely when playing at a higher level as I bat lower, dont bat as frequently and the bowlers are a yard quicker.

Id say the higher you bat, with more responsibility to score runs, helps get rid of the fear. When I have been a primary batsman then the fear of getting out is far greater than the fear of getting hit. When batting 9, 10, 11 it is easy to bat like a 9, 10, 11. Find a level where your team regularly relies on your runs. The fear of letting the team down is greater than the fear of getting hit. The weight of responsibility is often enough to kick your mind into gear.

Also, getting hit isnt too bad. Once hit in an innings it can pull you out of being worried. I always used to bat without a lid even against rapid bowlers - though I wear one now against someone tasty. I felt that if I batted with a lid then I pandered to my all too real fears of the ball - I had to call myself out and challenge myself not to be a *****. I had to play mind games with myself and I still get into line far better without a helmet than when wearing one - now though getting out is less important to me than getting home safely to the wife and kids and being in work on Monday :). I am not saying you should do the same but I would say that knowing your own head and what makes you tick is more important than any batting techniques to practice.
This probably seemed silly to some when I wrote it. In light of recent events it isnt the best advice I have ever offered. In the space of a few days it seems dated and, very possibly, wrong.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Trouble is though up until this week I could understand it. Its not bravado but revealing how one deals with their fears to become a better player. Like most I'm a fan of helmets (and all protective equipment) and all young cricketers should get used to performing with them from the start so they don't feel that they have to challenge themselves by taking avoidable risks. Funny thing is no one feels the need to challenge themselves by removing protection from their groin, hands, arms, ribs and shins. But might think about leaving their head go unprotected!

I can only attempt to understand that by placing the anomaly in the context of the game's evolution and the immediacy of pain in suffering a trauma. By that I mean the game traditionally protected other parts of the body bcos they had the precautions to do so. Helmets being a form of technology that was available only recently in the game's history. It took a little while to become acceptable kit and even then some batted without one (you and Richards :ph34r::) )

When you hit on other parts such as the hand and groin the pain is immediate and the consequences is that you could miss a few games. The dangers of being hit on the head are dire and known to all. But most often people avoid getting hit when confronted with a bumper. When actually hit they usually joke about the bump or stitch with team mates. If not immediately but afterwards. (Yeah I've known some ****s and been a **** too :) ) So maybe for those reasons some cricketers perversely protect themselves against blows that are consequentially less serious while exposing themselves to the greatest risk of all.

Last edited: