• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bats, gloves, shoes, gurads

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Cricket uniforms (shirt, trousers, cap) are given by contracted suppliers of club teams and national teams.
But bats, gloves, shoes and guards are up to every players, right?
Could you tell me why Batsman gloves are far bigger than Baseball batter gloves?
Why there is no elbow protection unlike leg protector?
What is female protection?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes
The same reason why a tennis racquet is a different size to a lacrosse stick
Its pretty rare to get hit flush on the elbow when batting. Its not impossible, but I mean its far more likely to get on the leg.
Loko you sly dog.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Could you tell me why the Batsman gloves are so gigantic, in comparison with Baseball's Batter gloves?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Just now I watched an ODI between Ireland and Scotland.
I have questions.
Sometimes there is something like helmet on the ground behind Wicket-Keeper. What is that?
Why there is no video referee? In competitive games (like World Cup or World Cricket League), are video referee and LBW technology?
Why are the stadiums called by the name of clubs, like The Grange, not by the names like Edinburgh City Cricket Stadium?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's to protect the hamster. If the hamster isn't in play, a pile of sawdust is used instead.
The hamsters haven't been the same since the mid 1980s. Purists obviously prefer the hamster, but the sawdust is adequate.

I think rulings should be brought in to ensure proper hamsters are used in all First Class matches.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
That helmet-like device is a helmet
Why is a helmet on the ground? What happens when a batted/thrown ball hit the helmet?
And I found something different from helmet. What is that?
Could you tell me all things other than players, umpires, wickets, boundary rope on the ground?

Esperance

U19 Cricketer
The helmet is on the ground to protect bumpy patches of grass from hard cricket ball. There's no such problem in Baseball because balls are soft and are chucked by women-like men.

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket uniforms (shirt, trousers, cap) are given by contracted suppliers of club teams and national teams.
But bats, gloves, shoes and guards are up to every players, right?
Could you tell me why Batsman gloves are far bigger than Baseball batter gloves?
Why there is no elbow protection unlike leg protector?
What is female protection?
- Yes
- In baseball you are very unlikely to get hit on the hand. Gloves are designed to be lightweight and give good grip. In cricket they have to protect your fingers and thumb. Getting hit on the gloves is very common, because of the possibilities of uneven bounce, and spin/seam movement.
- You aren't likely to get hit on the elbows, so no one has really found use for it.
- No idea.

Just now I watched an ODI between Ireland and Scotland.
I have questions.
Sometimes there is something like helmet on the ground behind Wicket-Keeper. What is that?
Why there is no video referee? In competitive games (like World Cup or World Cricket League), are video referee and LBW technology?
Why are the stadiums called by the name of clubs, like The Grange, not by the names like Edinburgh City Cricket Stadium?
- It's a helmet. The keeper often wears a helmet for certain bowlers (usually when standing close to the stumps for a spinner or medium pacer) and a hat for others. So in between overs, instead of wasting time by sending the helmet back to the dressing room and calling for it again, he keeps it behind him.
If the ball hits it, the batting side are awarded 5 runs I believe.
- There is. He's called the Third Umpire. He is used for runouts and other difficult to judge moments (was a catch taken cleanly, did the ball land inside or outside the boundary rope, etc).
There is also a system called the Decision Review System being used in some (not all) international cricket. Look it up.
- IDK. I don't think that's a hard and fast rule and/or has any story behind it.