• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped

Howe_zat

Audio File
On a no ball the bowler is getting an advantage, bowling from a shorter distance makes the batsman more likely to miss it and he doesn't have any indication it's illegal until the unpire says so. So the bowler shouldn't get a wicket.

I think the idea with wides is that the batsman has a much easier time seeing how illegal it is and has an easier time of it because it's just a **** delivery, so should just get back. I don't think the bowler should get a wicket on a wide either though.

GGG

State Captain
I guess because the fielding team doesn't gain an advantage by bowling a wide whereas bowling it from a distance less that the required distance gives the fielding team an advantage.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say it's the distinction between if a bowler notices a batsman is charging at him, being able to bowl it so he can't reach it or being able to bowl it from 18 yards at his head.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it's basically to give the bowler an extra option against pre-meditation. And even if he gets the wide "wrong" it might go down for 5 wides or something so the bowler still needs to do it properly.

stumpski

International Captain
Is the possibility of a stumping off a wide a fairly recent revision of the Laws? I don't ever remember it happening 'back in the day.'

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you get out via any mode of dismissal off a wide other than those that by definition mean it can't have been a wide (bowled, LBW, caught and so on)?

In other words, there is no limit to how you can get out from a wide other than logic. If I am correct then I would guess that that's the reason.

Riggins

International Captain
Is the possibility of a stumping off a wide a fairly recent revision of the Laws? I don't ever remember it happening 'back in the day.'
Pretty sure it's been there forever. It just seems newer because of the stricter interpretation of a wide in limited overs games. It basically doesn't happen in tests because to be a wide it'd usually have to be too wide for the keeper.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No balls are penalised because they give the bowler an unfair advantage in dismissing a batsman; wides are penalised because the give the bowler an unfair advantage in containing the scoring. As such, being able to take a wicket off a wide makes perfect sense; the unfair advantage you gained by bowling the wide is irrelevant to that facet of the game.

watson

Banned
If a batsman has charged down the wicket looking to hit a six over midwicket then the best ball to bowl is a Wide. It is also the most obvious, and paradoxically the most accurate. In short - why should a bowler be penalised for bowling what amounts to a damned good ball when the batsman is out stumped?

On-the-other-hand a No Ball is a ****up no matter the context. So what PEWS said.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Remember when Warne used to bowl those bouncers? I'd like to see someone charge a spin bowler who bowls an outrageously wide (high) bouncer at a charging batsman which results in a stumping.

Not sure if it could work physically, but it looks cool in my head. Would need it be a big charge...

watson

Banned
Remember when Warne used to bowl those bouncers? I'd like to see someone charge a spin bowler who bowls an outrageously wide (high) bouncer at a charging batsman which results in a stumping.

Not sure if it could work physically, but it looks cool in my head. Would need it be a big charge...
Warne must have given Gilchrist a secret signal to protect his head because I have no recollection of Gilchrist wearing a helmet while keeping.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember when Warne used to bowl those bouncers? .
I recall him bowling one during the 2005 Ashes, to KP I think? I thought it all a bit of a joke.......was it actually part of his repertoire as I don't think I'd ever seen it before?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I recall him bowling one during the 2005 Ashes, to KP I think? I thought it all a bit of a joke.......was it actually part of his repertoire as I don't think I'd ever seen it before?
Saw him do it a few times. Wasn't a regular occurrence.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

So did he ever get a wicket off one?

Edit:

SRT actually did great with that delivery......much better than I remember KP dealing with the only Warne bouncer I recall seeing.

KP was just stunned.......Sachin went to duck under it, then thought **** that I'm not backing away from some 60 mph chin music, I'll have a piece of this.

Last edited: