• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 40 against and in all countries

Dissector

International Debutant

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I hadn't actually realized that Sachin had achieved this though only by the skin of his teeth in Zim and Pak.

Have any other batsmen done it especially in recent decades with more countries? A quick check shows that Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Dravid haven't. And the failures have been pretty significant: Lara against India, Ponting in India, Kallis in England and Dravid versus SA.
Sachin has not played the best part of the fearsome Pakistan attack in mid to late 90s. It was late 80s and very late in 90s he started playing them.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I hadn't actually realized that Sachin had achieved this though only by the skin of his teeth in Zim and Pak.

Have any other batsmen done it especially in recent decades with more countries? A quick check shows that Lara, Ponting, Kallis and Dravid haven't. And the failures have been pretty significant: Lara against India, Ponting in India, Kallis in England and Dravid versus SA.
Bradman is what 70+ against and in all countries?

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah Bradman's lowest was 74.5 against the West Indies. He only played in two countries of course.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Sachin has not played the best part of the fearsome Pakistan attack in mid to late 90s. It was late 80s and very late in 90s he started playing them.
What was wrong with the Pakistan team of late 80s and 90s? The 1999 Pakistan team which toured India was as good as any other bowling attack in history of cricket.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
FWIW, Ponting is very close to this, closer than I would've thought before I looked...

watson

Banned
Don't think it's news to anyone that I'm happy about Chappell and Kanhai making the cut - but just saying anyway.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah but from memory Tendulkar didn't do that well against the good Pakistani attacks.
Saved a match against Imran, Waqar, Wasim and Qadir as a teenager, scored his best hundred ever against Saqlain's Wasim in amazing form in 99. Good effort imo. Sachin didn't really have proper contests against Pakistan in Tests regularly . Shame really.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What was wrong with the Pakistan team of late 80s and 90s? The 1999 Pakistan team which toured India was as good as any other bowling attack in history of cricket.
Nothing wrong. He didn't play as much as others in the era against them. Especially at Waqar's peak, when he was demolishing sides for fun.

Dissector

International Debutant
So it looks likely that Sachin is the only one to do this in the last 30 years ?

Of course there could be someone else like Kanhai, a bit below the all-time greats, but consistent enough to average 40 everywhere.

bagapath

International Captain
Greg Chappell rocked everywhere he played.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/4558.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

He didn't play in India though. But I think he would have done well against them. He and Sachin remain the two ATGs to have such an awesome overall record everywhere.

Not sure why we should assume Sachin's record would have been too different if he had played a few more tests against the Ws. He was also in pristine form in the mid 90s. For my money Wasim and Waqar would have got him out cheaply a few times and Sachin would have whacked a few big knocks against them resulting in a 45 average, which would've been less than his best but good enough overall. A bit like his performance in the 99-00 series down under.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
arthur morris. only played in 4 countries but his worst was 41.18 in australia, has a much better record away from home. barrington averaged 50+ everywhere except for WI where he averaged 44.25.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
arthur morris. only played in 4 countries but his worst was 41.18 in australia, has a much better record away from home. barrington averaged 50+ everywhere except for WI where he averaged 44.25.
nah... their overall averages against windies fall under 35. OP wants 40+ average "against and in" all countries