• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is South Africa's Greatest Batsman

South Africa's Greatest

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I have seen this done for the West Indies and Australia (2nd greatest), but who was the best from the African continent?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Pollock for me.

Yeah he and Barry Richards didn't play enough but the question wasn't greatest test batsman. Their glowing reputation and amazing innings in their short test careers and lengthy domestic career makes them clear #1 and 2 imo. Chose Pollock because he's a left hander and they're automatically better

OverratedSanity

In tests though the answer is obvious... No matter how much disdain I have for his batting in general, Kallis is the only choice

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Dennis Lillee in his book had stated that the 3 best batsmen he bowled to was Sobers and the two Richards, Issac and Barry. He opined that Pollock was never to happy with the genuine shot pitched stuff (similar to Lara IMHO) and I have always noted that even though he had a longer test career than Richards he somehow managed to avoid most of the great fast bowlers, especially in their prime. Additionally while Barry Richards was proving himself internationally, all be it in FC cricket, Pollock plied his trade primarily at home.

So I will go with Richards, just over Pollock.

Zinzan

There's a serious argument for a 3-way tie on this one. It's far from being clear-cut. Personally, I'd be tempted to give Pollock the nod from what I've read & heard from their Australian opponents. All 3 are undoubtedly all-time great batsmen.

Kallis obviously pisses in as their greatest overall cricketer.

OverratedSanity

Why do you have so much disdain? Because he bats slow like Dravid?
Honestly I have no idea. I think he looks wonderfully balanced at the crease and there's nothing wrong, persay with his batting aesthetically.
But it's just a pet peeve of mine that I reserve the high tiers of my personal ATGs for batsmen that have played loads of memorable innings. Now you'll say I haven't watched enough of SA's cricket and will point out instances where Kallis has produced monumental innings. Fair enough.

But personally I find the other great modern batsmen like Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Sanga have such a glittering array of great innings, which imo Kallis doesn't have. It's entirely subjective but there you go

Never did I say Kallis isn't one of the all time great batsmen though... He is... Just nowhere near one of my favorites

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Dennis Lillee in his book had stated that the 3 best batsmen he bowled to was Sobers and the two Richards, Issac and Barry. He opined that Pollock was never to happy with the genuine shot pitched stuff (similar to Lara IMHO) and I have always noted that even though he had a longer test career than Richards he somehow managed to avoid most of the great fast bowlers, especially in their prime. Additionally while Barry Richards was proving himself internationally, all be it in FC cricket, Pollock plied his trade primarily at home.

Wow, that's something, you know King Viv's first name.

Are you a wizard?

You spelt it wrong though.

Marius

International Debutant
This is a tricky one.

I think it's between Kallis and Pollock, with Amla getting close to consideration too.

I think I would have to go for Kallis, because he has scored runs everywhere, over a long period. But it is a tough choice, Pollock is definitely one of the greatest batsmen to have ever graced the game.

It is hard to judge Richards because of his short Test career, although I have no doubt he would have been a close challenger.

steve132

U19 Debutant

For what it's worth Lillee is not the only player to have expressed such sentiments. Both Garry Sobers and Barry Richards are on record as saying that Pollock was not entirely comfortable against short pitched fast bowling. There is no doubt, however, that both Pollock and Richards are among the greatest batsmen of all time. IMO both are comfortably ahead of Kallis, but if I had to select one it would definitely be Richards.

Jassy

Banned
Greatest batsman on the basis of what? If test cricket is the only criterion this is a no contest, Kallis all the way.

akilana

International 12th Man
Honestly I have no idea. I think he looks wonderfully balanced at the crease and there's nothing wrong, persay with his batting aesthetically.
But it's just a pet peeve of mine that I reserve the high tiers of my personal ATGs for batsmen that have played loads of memorable innings. Now you'll say I haven't watched enough of SA's cricket and will point out instances where Kallis has produced monumental innings. Fair enough.

But personally I find the other great modern batsmen like Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Sanga have such a glittering array of great innings, which imo Kallis doesn't have. It's entirely subjective but there you go

Never did I say Kallis isn't one of the all time great batsmen though... He is... Just nowhere near one of my favorites
He does have but you don't remember any.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barry Richards - no disrespect to Kallis but he's not in the same class
It's Barry Richards for me. Kallis is arguably the greatest all rounder ever, though I believe personally it was Sobers, Amla is so beautiful to watch, his demeanor and his style is divine. Pollock is considered to be a great (and he was) but I never saw him play. Barry Richards? I felt as though I was in the presence of god when I saw him, which luckily I did a few times. Infact........oh forget it!