• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monk's Favourite XI

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm a self indulgent prick with study to avoid, so why shouldn't I start a trendy favourite/best XI thread? In this thread I will select an XI based on my favourite cricketers. I will limit it to those I have seen either live or on TV. Cricket became my passion/hobby/addiction sometime in the 1980s. Pre internet, pre mobile phones, pre bike helmets. Life was simpler then, but then again, I think most people remember their childhood with some nostalgia. I can still recall sitting on the lounge room floor, watching the following intro and feeling genuine excitement about cricket ( I can also remember my grandfather being really impressed by the graphics in the intro, the way the stumps are drawn "maybe with a computer...").

However, the era wasn't a particularly strong one for Australian cricket. In fact, it was particularly weak. I spent the first few years of liking cricket wishing that I could "barrack" for the WIs. In AFL (VFL) I supported Richmond. So I didn't get a lot of joy from sport. However, I recall going to Maccas and getting a meal as a child. On the paper on the tray was a team photo of the WIs touring team for the summer. I don't know what year it actually was, because the WI's seemed to come every year to annihilate us, but I do know that Viv Richards was on the team photo. He was my first favourite cricketer. I think he is still my favourite.

Not many players in cricket have a word associated to them. Rick McCosker has "swathed" associated with him after he played "swathed" in bandages in a gutsy knock. Evidently early era bowler CTB Turner was associated with the word "terror" because of the way his kicking deliveries made the batsman fear. Ask any cricket follower which cricketer belongs to the word "swagger", and the answer will be Viv. King Viv.

Viv had aura. Viv had presence. He swaggered. Other cricketers have averaged more than Viv. None have been as intimidating or belligerent towards bowlers. Ian Chappell tells the story of the first time he encountered young Viv in a warm up game on a WIs tour. Viv (playing for an island team) smoked the first couple of balls back over the bowler's head for 4s and 6s, and then the bowler dismissed him, bowled. The bowler's comment was "you can't keep batting like that and getting away with it". Chappell states that he realised later on that Viv could keep batting like that, and get away with it. Imran Khan is on record as saying, quite simply, "Viv was the only batsman who intimidated me as a bowler".

Viv was also an extraordinary fielder, and fielding is something I rate very highly in cricketers. It can make a difference between a good team and a great team. Viv had outstanding anticipation and his ability to throw down stumps was the best I've seen (Ricky Ponting might be close). In addition to this, Viv was a handy off spinner, capable of bowling a few darts as required. All in all though, he is in my team, at number 3, for his ability to completely discourage an opposition bowling attack by smashing good bowling to all parts of the ground, relying on his incredible eye and slightly unorthodox but very watchable technique.

Attachments

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Nothing wrong with being a 'self indulgent prick' IMO. On-the-other-hand, not too fussed on complete nobs. So best not to be a complete nob. But 'self indulgent prick', go for it.

Viv Richards - great first pick BTW

Red

Aesthetics are important. Most men appreciate beautiful women, most people can appreciate a beautiful view at sunset. People are naturally drawn to qualities of attractiveness for a host of reasons. My next selection is a player who I consider the most graceful batsman of the modern era. Everything seemed so effortless and so sublime when Mark Waugh batted. In a game where milliseconds matter at the elite level, Mark Waugh sometimes seemed to have hours to play his shots. Anything on the stumps, especially on leg stump, was treated with easy disdain, usually finding the boundary not through the force of the shot, but through the peerless timing.

Personal opinion here, but Mark Waugh looked like a batsman should look. He's what I want to look like when I bat. There is no one I'd prefer to watch bat for a couple of hours. In the style of his Australian predecessors Victor Trumper, Allan Kippax and Archie Jackson, Mark Waugh was a joy to behold. Perhaps he belonged to an earlier era, when professionalism was less important, because at times he looked like he didn't care. I think he did care, more than he appeared to. His whimsical style of batting is a contrast to his brothers' ruthless grind, but as they say, it takes all types. And like Arthur Mailey, who felt like he'd killed a dove when he dismissed Trumper, I always felt robbed when M.Waugh was dismissed cheaply.

Like my first selection, Mark Waugh is an outstanding fielder and a bowler of decent offies. At second slip he caught everything in the same nonchalant way that he batted, making difficult tasks look incredibly easy. Waugh will bat at #4 in this team, his preferred position, and the correct spot for all stylists.

Red

No. Junior will always be at #4 for me.

Was a great ODI opener though.

bagapath

International Captain
Nice start

Swathed - McKosker
Swagger - Viv
Languid - Gower
Gritty - Waugh
Sehwag - Sehwag

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yeah great start to your side. I was really bummed out when Junior started bowling offies. I loved his quickish seamers/bouncers. But great allround cricketer, like his twin in that sense.

Red

Player number 3.

The team I'm selecting here are not my "best" team. They're my "favourite" team. The next player on the list was selected in cricinfo's all time team, but many people question that. I don't, because I loved him. Wasim Akram was a powerfully built left arm opening bowler, and a lower order batsman capable of brutal innings. As a bowler, his control of swing and movement was almost wizard like. I recall as an adolescent watching him open the bowling in a test alongside Waqar, and I could barely believe the movement they were generating. Often swing bowlers bowl a bit slower than express bowlers, but Wasim and Waqar seemed to be able to combine the two facets of pace and swing better than anyone I can recall. Wasim bowled off a really short run, but had a really quick arm movement. Allan Border is quoted as saying that if he could be reincarnated as a cricketer, it'd be as Wasim, and it's easy to see why. Wasim opened the bowling, was a handy fielder, and batting at 7 or 8 he could club scores very quickly. While he only averaged 22 with the bat, his highest test score was 250+. Surely no other player has such a discrepancy in their batting record between their overall average and their highest score. Regardless, Wasim has a best test score higher than batting luminaries such as Sachin Tendulkar, Greg Chappell and Jaques Kallis. That's kind of funny.

Wasim will take the new ball and bat down the order, and intimidate the opposition with both aspects of his tremendous all round skills.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Great over, I agree with Hair there, first ball bounced a bit. Though could have given it. Great over though. Great pick too, ads the left arm variety as well as his swing being annoyingly awesome to anyone outside Pakistan.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never did full justice to his talent with the bat... Arguably with the ball as well

Will always remember him for the Dravid ball

Briony

International Debutant
I think Gower and G.Chappell were more aesthetically beautiful as batsmen than Mark Waugh. Better players too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim was such an awesome bowler. Indeed I haven't seen anybody with such amazing skill with the ball as Wasim

Red

I think Gower and G.Chappell were more aesthetically beautiful as batsmen than Mark Waugh. Better players too.
Quite possibly. I didn't see Chappell's career, and saw very little of Gower's that I recall. This team is chosen from players I saw.

The Battlers Prince

i remember gower really well. was the best looking batsman among the greats of the 80s
How about against Junior? I guess its going to be choosing between very similar players. I saw more of Junior and his elegance was unmatched at the time, but I didn't get to see Gower.
I enjoy watching clips of Chappell, his timing was awesome and given I only tend to watch when he's scored well (meaning he's in good touch at the time) he just looks magnificent.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, Damien Martyn was the most aesthetically pleasing batsman. He pretty much was the definition of effortless elegance to me