• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

• Total voters

Leg Cutter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is Dale Steyn getting the recognition he deserves?
Right now, aged 27, Steyn is just as deadly as Lillee ever was. What remains for him to prove is that he can be just as dogged.
Please Share your thoughts

Regards
Muhammad Adeel Sabih

smash84

The Tiger King
Is Dale Steyn getting the recognition he deserves?
Right now, aged 27, Steyn is just as deadly as Lillee ever was. What remains for him to prove is that he can be just as dogged.
Please Share your thoughts

Regards
Muhammad Adeel Sabih
Welcome to the forum Adeel. I hope you find this forum to your liking. I think you may find the answer to your question from some of the other posters in this thread.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/48989-too-early-declare-dale-steyn-all-time-great.html

Leg Cutter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Thank You "smalishah84" for your welcome
Actually I'm totally new on this Forum..Thanks for your assistance mate... :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wow, much more polite in here than the other Steyn thread. Should do this more often.

Welcome to the forums.

As for the question, I genuinely think Steyn is. Leaving aside for now how quick he is or how he moves the ball, Steyn's trump card is that he is clearly the best bowler in the world by miles, for at least three years, which is not something Lillee can be said to have achieved.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Not very hard though for Steyn to be the best, the rest are pretty average. Lillee has an amazing amount of world class bowlers as opposition.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not very hard though for Steyn to be the best, the rest are pretty average. Lillee has an amazing amount of world class bowlers as opposition.
Well, Lillee also has a very lop sided bowling record.

It is all well and good to ignore the diversity within a career for players who never got the opportunity to play in different conditions, but Lillee did not play in that era and performed horribly in the limited amount of times he did play outside his comfort zone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The 'fear' of fast bowling doesn't exist as much anymore. You mistime a shot back then, and you could die, so batsmen are more aggressive and try to get on top of bowlers much more now (not even taking into account the pitches and the new bats).

So yes, to do so well in this era definitely puts him up there if he can keep it up.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It is all well and good to ignore the diversity within a career for players who never got the opportunity to play in different conditions, but Lillee did not play in that era and performed horribly in the limited amount of times he did play outside his comfort zone.
Like where? Three tests in Pakistan and one in SL as an old man? Yeah, dud.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
There is no point going there Burg. Save your breath. I'm no huge Lillee fan, but that one is one internet argument that is well and truly beat to death.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Absolute ****e.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is no point going there Burg. Save your breath. I'm no huge Lillee fan, but that one is one internet argument that is well and truly beat to death.
I am no Lillee hater. In fact, there is no doubt that he was one of the greatest bowlers of all time. There is hardly a batsman or commentator from his time who has less than awesome descriptions of him. I've been able to follow only the latter half of his career due to my age, unfortunately.

I was merely countering the point that Lillee is somehow better just because Steyn does not have as much competition in the fast bowling stakes as Lillee did. It's not completely Lillee's fault that he did not play and perform in as many varied conditions as Steyn has, but then it is not Steyn's fault at all that there is little competition to him.

If anything Steyn has been bowling on the best pitches for batting seen in decades.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
At this rate, he may well be the greatest bowler of all time. With all the hoopla about Kallis being underrated...Steyn just isn't talked up near enough.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, much more polite in here than the other Steyn thread. Should do this more often.

Welcome to the forums.

As for the question, I genuinely think Steyn is. Leaving aside for now how quick he is or how he moves the ball, Steyn's trump card is that he is clearly the best bowler in the world by miles, for at least three years, which is not something Lillee can be said to have achieved.
I'm not sure that could be viewed as a trump card, given that clearly there were more good fast bowlers around in Lillee's era than Steyn's.

Top_Cat

Not to mention, reckon the flat pitches argument is being way over-played. Last 5 years we've seen some pretty spicy decks.

Burgey

Too bad Lillee didn't even hang around to find out which was the best side of his era - sold his soul to Packer. :ph34r:
His was the best side of that era. Although they had just had a close series at home to a very ordinary Pakistan side tbh.

And he was one of the reasons, if not the primary one, that they were the best side of the era. He was the best fast bowler of the mid-late 70s tbf, though as you say he left for WSC :)