• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee and Steyn serve up a treat

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good article.

How quick does Steyn bowl?

Lasith Malinga will fade away. He has been hanging around for 4 years now with test avg. of 38. Once the batsmen find where the ball is hidden, they will belt him. He has no variation, seam, swing. He lost the good yorker that he had once.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good article.

Lasith Malinga will fade away. He has been hanging around for 4 years now with test avg. of 38. Once the batsmen find where the ball is hidden, they will belt him. He has no variation, seam, swing. He lost the good yorker that he had once.
Has more variation than ever TBH, his yorker is great and he swings it a mile with the old ball. Not sure where your getting this from, even on the first day vs. the Aussies he was dreadfully unlucky not to pick up a handful of wickets and they are easily the best batsman in the world. There was a very poor LBW decision and Jaques was more than just a little lucky against him. Also he is very quick yet it's hard to judge a bowler on one match in Australia, lets see how he does against England first.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think his average is 33. Minus Bangladesh it is 38. I don't know when you watched him last, may be world cup. Apart from 2 or 3 overs in the test match, he didn't bowl well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think his average is 33. Minus Bangladesh it is 38. I don't know when you watched him last, may be world cup. Apart from 2 or 3 overs in the test match, he didn't bowl well.
I watched the whole test match, he bowled superbly throughout until he was made to do a job he wasn't adapted to and that was to restrict Australia's flow of runs. The entire first day he looked like he was about to take a wicket.

Without Bangladesh it is actually 36.17 mate (and oddly enough his economy drops a little too) he also has a SR of 55.6
(the following excluding Bangers)
To gauge this you should know Steve Harmison has a SR of 60.1
Brett Lee 51.3 (his record against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are surprisingly dire though)

Pretty damn handy as a strike bowler and the record was even more impressive before his efforts against Australia, Fernando and Malinga shouldn't be in the same team, that way Malinga can bowl as a strike bowler instead of a stock one. Shouldn't be his job to hold back the runs IMO, the way his team uses him is abusing his talent.

The muppets fault IMO.

pup11

International Coach
WTF? To say that Malinga would fade away just on the basis of one bad game against the Aussies is really dire, Malinga did all he could in the test against the Australians but the Australians played him very well as simple as that!
IMO Malinga is one of the very few fast bowlers who has got lot of variation, he has got a very good and deceptive slower ball, he reverses the ball a mile and he bowls very good toe-crushers and generates good heat now if that's not variety than i don't know what is?

Athlai

Not Terrible
WTF? To say that Malinga would fade away just on the basis of one bad game against the Aussies is really dire, Malinga did all he could in the test against the Australians but the Australians played him very well as simple as that!
IMO Malinga is one of the very few fast bowlers who has got lot of variation, he has got a very good and deceptive slower ball, he reverses the ball a mile and he bowls very good toe-crushers and generates good heat now if that's not variety than i don't know what is?
Not only that but he can bowl good line and length when he wants to!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Good article.

Very good article, analytical pieces like that are always facinating to read but that one was particularly good.

Steyn bowls from the mid 130s (at the beginning of a spell or end of a day) up to about 150kph when in rhythm.

I agree that Malinga will fade away from the Test cricket scene for reasons that I have stated on numerous occasions.

Fiery

Banned
The only gripe I have with the article is the start where he makes out bowlers like McGrath scared the living **** out of batsmen? McGrath was never fast enough to scare the skin off a rice pudding

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hey Lisa, whats your favourite movie? Thats right, the odd couple! Da doo do doo do doo, do do doo, do do doo doooo.

Woodster

International Captain
The only gripe I have with the article is the start where he makes out bowlers like McGrath scared the living **** out of batsmen? McGrath was never fast enough to scare the skin off a rice pudding
As Perm says, you do not have to be express pace to scare a batsman, Warne and Murali scare batsmen when they come on to bowl but not because of the pace they bowl but because of the quality they possess.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, there's far more to "fear" as a batsman than fear of injury; fear of losing your wicket is far more significant. Most good batsmen are good enough to protect themselves from injury against the really fast bowlers anyway.

BTW, McGrath could and did bowl at 90mph in the late 1990s when speedguns were first introduced, he just decided to slow down around about 2001 sort of time.

bond21

Banned
yea but if you have fear of losing your wicket it could be against dennis lillee or allan border, it doesnt matter whos bowling.

fear of being hit puts doubt into the batsman's mind and keeps him on his back foot, playing into the bowler's hands.

Basically every batsman is afraid of getting out at the start of an innings, but only a certain bowler can make them scared.