• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Tornado

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So what exactly is the criteria then? I thought it was career with a slight bias towards recent series, but with Tests counting where appropriate? In that case I don't see how Joshi for example is a good selection as he's played Tests and proven to be mediocre at them.
That was a very long time ago though.
I remember Prince saying that dominating domestic circuit is more important...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
he took around 10 wickets at an avg of 23 in sheffield shield last season despite being out of form (avg'd 34 in 2010 in tests) and scored a hundred haha
Adams' a handy batsman too btw
Johnson averaged around 32 in FC domestic cricket in 2010/11

Spark

Global Moderator
So what exactly is the criteria then? I thought it was career with a slight bias towards recent series, but with Tests counting where appropriate? In that case I don't see how Joshi for example is a good selection as he's played Tests and proven to be mediocre at them.
No idea, I would say ask PEWS but he's given the answer many times - pick them as you would expect them to do if this were real.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Johnson averaged around 32 in FC domestic cricket in 2010/11
FC cricket played by Johnson - 2 Shield games and 4 Tests. That's quite obviously at a far higher level than some random Indian batsman bashing club standard bowling attacks.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a FC competition though.

Johnsons FC record is ordinary ,though obviously he has test wickets plus his recent form is not great.

Centurymaker's team looks solid.
What do you expect? 2/3rds of his wickets are test wickets and it probably took him a year or two to settle into FC cricket.

Don't forget that he was the ICC player of the year in 2009!! Took so many wickets!

Just checked. his first-class debut was in 2001 so that explains why his fc avg isn't lower- Slow starter. Took him 6/7 years to get a test cap.
YEP.

He played only 2 other FC matches only though last season.

yea he took around 10 wickets and scored a 100.
australian fc >> indian fc

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
FC cricket played by Johnson - 2 Shield games and 4 Tests. That's quite obviously at a far higher level than some random Indian batsman bashing club standard bowling attacks.
We were comparing Andre Adams and Mitchell Johnson here in case you did not notice.

And btw,India is the no.1 test team FWIW and have some pretty good batsman coming up.:p

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats precisely why Kohli is not in my starting XI.
1 indian batsman is enough (rohit sharma)!! haha

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli in this draft gets a bit of disadvantage as he has been playing ODI cricket with the country and so has not been able to play more of FC cricket.

So because ODI's don't count ,he has basically not played any cricket relevant to this for that period.

In terms of potential though and performance in international cricket, Kohli has done more than any young English Batsman i can think of.
And Badrinath,Mukund,Rahan,Vijay,pUJARA etc.. have done well on overseas India a tours too. Though not sure how that is taken into account.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We were comparing Andre Adams and Mitchell Johnson here in case you did not notice.

And btw,India is the no.1 test team FWIW and have some pretty good batsman coming up.:p
Since Johnson made his debut only Steyn has taken more wickets and only Steyn, Anderson and Swann have taken their wickets cheaper than Johnson (Zaheer Khan is the only other bowler in that time to have taken 100+ Test wickets at less than 30.)

That is obviously going to weigh much more heavily than someone like Adams taking cheap county wickets, because Johnson has performed well at the highest level.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli in this draft gets a bit of disadvantage as he has been playing ODI cricket with the country and so has not been able to play more of FC cricket.

So because ODI's don't count ,he has basically not played any cricket relevant to this for that period.

In terms of potential though and performance in international cricket, Kohli has done more than any young English Batsman i can think of.
And Badrinath,Mukund,Rahan,Vijay,pUJARA etc.. have done well on overseas India a tours too. Though not sure how that is taken into account.
How many teams are there in indian domestic circuit? like 25
How many are there in aus? 6
Standard of cricket is far lower in indian domestic circuit because the quality players are spread out over the 30 teams. Dilution of talent.
Even if there were 2 times more quality players in india than there were in aus, 4 times more teams in india would ensure that the quality of cricket was still lower.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
How many teams are there in indian domestic circuit? like 25
How many are there in aus? 6
Standard of cricket is far lower in indian domestic circuit because the quality players are spread out over the 30 teams. Dilution of talent.
Even if there were 2 times more quality players in india than there were in aus, 4 times more teams in india would ensure that the quality of cricket was still lower.
Indian domestic circuit is divided into two divisions of the top 14 teams and 12 teams respectively.

The standard in the super league is higher than the plate league like county cricket.

Then further the super league is divided in to 2 groups of 7 each.

And this is not the only domestic FC cricket the Indian players play .

There is also the Duleep trophy in which top players are divided into zones of 5 teams each,which are less number of teams than the Aussie Sheffield shield Fyi.

Plus then there is also the Irani trophy where The Ranji Trophy Champions play the Rest of India.

So i am not sure where you are coming to your conclusions from.
Yes there is dilution of talent but not to the extent you seem to think.

Plus not forget India A matches count as FC matches too and so do Rest of India and Board 11 matches which best Indian players play a lot,including foreign tours.

Badrinath average more than 200 in 11 matches including foreign tours with India A,IIRC.
Pujara Averaged 110 in England last year with India A. Mukund and Rahane near 60.

Plus since we are discussing Kohli ,he has proven himself in international cricket (though ODI cricket does not count here) more than any upcoming AUS or ENG batsman have.

Though that does not mean that you should pick him in your team here as it is a different competition.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Reliance ICC Player Rankings
he's still among the top bowlers in the rankings. well clear of the pack.
I am not saying that he will do badly ,but that Andre Adams would do well as well.
And their CPl performances indicate that as well.

If anything i think you should be happy about it.

The difference won't be as much considering the respective rounds they got picked in.

Since Johnson made his debut only Steyn has taken more wickets and only Steyn, Anderson and Swann have taken their wickets cheaper than Johnson (Zaheer Khan is the only other bowler in that time to have taken 100+ Test wickets at less than 30.)

That is obviously going to weigh much more heavily than someone like Adams taking cheap county wickets, because Johnson has performed well at the highest level.
Wonder why you picked James foster and Andre Mcdonald ahead of other more established Test players then?8-)

And also why some of the International bowlers on the wicket taker list you(as high as 10,11 ,12) mentioned have not been picked so far while bowlers like Faulkner,Butterworth etc... got picked despite not even being close to international cricket at the moment?

Obviously it is about a combination of domestic and International performances.
And remember these bowlers will be bowling to some Non international batsman as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wonder why you picked James foster and Andre Mcdonald ahead of other more established Test players then?8-)
In Foster's case, because I waited until round 5 to draft a wicketkeeper, by which time every half decent Test keeper had gone.

In McDonald's case, because he's a gun allrounder and I wanted to get him early.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In the CPL trials:
Adams: 1 match, 25 runs @ 12.50; 10 wickets @ 9.90
Johnson: 1 match, 4 runs @ Infinity; 7 wickets @ 26.00

In the CPL proper season so far:
Adams: 2 matches, 102 runs @ 25.50; 11 wickets @ 25.27
Johnson: 2 matches, 47 runs @ 23.50; 9 wickets @ 33.11

Small sample size but I thought I'd post it up because it was being referenced.

They'll both be good pickups IMO.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In the CPL trials:
Adams: 1 match, 25 runs @ 12.50; 10 wickets @ 9.90
Johnson: 1 match, 4 runs @ Infinity; 7 wickets @ 26.00

In the CPL proper season so far:
Adams: 2 matches, 102 runs @ 25.50; 11 wickets @ 25.27
Johnson: 2 matches, 47 runs @ 23.50; 9 wickets @ 33.11

Small sample size but I thought I'd post it up because it was being referenced.

They'll both be good pickups IMO.
did they both play on similar sort of pitches?