• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWPL Teams

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
But aren't there 2 tiers IN both England and Srilanka ?

India would be interesting in this regard too ,as the averages would vary with both extremes with the number of teams involved.
There are both bowlers and batsman with very good numbers there.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The Sheffield Shield was both bowler friendly and filled with low quality batting lineups this season. The drop in averages isn't a shock. Near any decent bowler averaged < 25 when throughout the past 30 years these averages have been reserved for the elite.

Hard to guess the quality, and what is 'normal' in some of the overseas competitions. I'm running with PEWS advice that it's hard to cheat the system. Pick the best players available, not the hidden stats whore.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But aren't there 2 tiers IN both England and Srilanka ?
England has a divisional system rather than a tiering system. It's an important difference. In a divisional system, teams are segregated by quality but players aren't - for example, you can be the best player in England by play Division 2 because that's where your county is ranked. In South Africa they have a tiered system whereby the lower tier (amateur cricket) merely acts as a player feeder system for the top tier (which is a now professional franchise system). If you're the best player in South Africa, you're playing franchise cricket in the SuperSport Series whenever available.

Sri Lanka is like England, even though they've named their divisions "Tier 1" and "Tier 2".

Sri Lankan, English, Indian etc Division 2 comps are recognised as being of lower quality than their Division 1 equivalents but still count towards the database for obvious reasons. 3-day amateur South African cricket doesn't count at all though as it's an irrelevant and misleading measure of a player's quality; it's probably about the standard of Sydney grade cricket.

India would be interesting in this regard too ,as the averages would vary with both extremes with the number of teams involved.
There are both bowlers and batsman with very good numbers there.
Yeah, what I posted is only used to measure the balance between bat and ball in each competition - essentially the conditions. There are other measures to determine the quality of a competition and the number of teams is a factor there.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PEWS Lara is considered retired isn't he? Unless T20s count which I think they don't. I think we're ****ed, seeing as he played his last FC three years back

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Murali and Warne have both retired so that's two. Murali doesn't actually count as retired as such because he played his last game in the 2010 season but he still has.
Yeah, but Warne's my back up, I'm not going to be playing him as a first choice.

He still performs pretty ****ing well in IPL for a guy who hasn't played any other serious cricket for 4 years. I reckon if he wanted to come back to FC cricket he'd be performing like a gun pretty quickly, and that he's probably a much better bet than some other no-name spinner I could have picked who has amazing stats on cricinfo.

Curious as to why you think my side is the best, but as you're the one who's built the db I'm quite happy with that endorsement.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS Lara is considered retired isn't he? Unless T20s count which I think they don't. I think we're ****ed, seeing as he played his last FC three years back
He's considered as retired, yes, but players who continue to play limited overs cricket aren't penalised for their retirement as much. Lara playing T20 cricket in Zimbabwe helps him there and if he didn't get any penalty at all for his retirement, he would actually be the third best batsman in the database. It was a good pick.

Daemon

Thanks, credit to Flem <3

And that also means Warne won't be penalised as much, so good news for GF

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He still performs pretty ****ing well in IPL for a guy who hasn't played any other serious cricket for 4 years. I reckon if he wanted to come back to FC cricket he'd be performing like a gun pretty quickly, and that he's probably a much better bet than some other no-name spinner I could have picked who has amazing stats on cricinfo.
Yeah, no doubt in my mind Warne would be an above average spinner if this was a real competition and he was paid a gazillion dollars to come out of FIrst Class retirement.

Curious as to why you think my side is the best, but as you're the one who's built the db I'm quite happy with that endorsement.
Well, all your picks have been gun. I don't think there's any other way to put it. :p

Getting Steyn and Murali who are both still IMO amongst the best 10 bowlers in the world (at worst) makes your attack immense from the get-go and you've been really smart with your batting recruitment too, and you picked up McDonald who's a premier allrounder at this level. I just don't know how they manage to let you recruit a team like that tbh.

vcs

So this game is essentially about second-guessing the quirks of PEWS's database? :ph34r:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
GF'S team is good specially the bowling but his batting seems a bit weak compared and don't think it is best by far.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So this game is essentially about second-guessing the quirks of PEWS's database? :ph34r:
Haha, well people tried to do that elsewhere and it didn't work. People who just picked who they thought would go well if this was real seemed to fare far better, because no-one really understands how it works. Going really stats-orientated early and picking up players from obscure competitions backfired.

The draft is more fun/important than the simming anyway.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, no doubt in my mind Warne would be an above average spinner if this was a real competition and he was paid a gazillion dollars to come out of FIrst Class retirement.
I doubt that.

He has done well in the IPL but then so has iqbal abdullah(even better) .

Don't think he is capable of bowling 20 overs a day at a high level anymore.

Same was the case with Murali before he retired ,he wasn't the same bowler. Even in the world cup on slow spinning tracks other spinners easily outperformed him.

vcs

Haha, well people tried to do that elsewhere and it didn't work. People who just picked who they thought would go well if this was real seemed to fare far better, because no-one really understands how it works. Going really stats-orientated early and picking up players from obscure competitions backfired.

The draft is more fun/important than the simming anyway.
Why haven't guys like McGrath and Shaun Pollock been picked then? Or Hayden? Surely they'd go better than, say, Dominic Cork, or Rohit Sharma?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I get a feeling that the English and Australian players will do the best in the Sim.

Justin Langer seems to be tearing it apart in CPL of all people.

Last edited: