• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Restart?

Restart?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
New database has sort of ****ed things over because a lot of people have made choices based on assumptions which are now false. It's not really fair or what I intended that people should be picking their best players based on faulty or vague information, or that the first draft round (which is probably the most important) should be run on an unequal playing field, given that the change was agreed to basically halfway through the round. Probably a product of me rushing to get the draft started before the details had been fully fleshed out between me, Marcuss and PEWS - sorry about that.

So, do we restart or not?

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Furball, you're against the restart but also against Spark changing his pick right?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll be happy with a new draft order (and voted for it too) but I think it isn't needed really. Unfair to Marcuss and the other few.

Spark

Global Moderator
Furball, you're against the restart but also against Spark changing his pick right?
FTR I would be fine with anyone doing that personally because of the reasons I said - it's not fair on the early contestants that they picked players on unfair assumptions.

This will obviously only affect a small number of people but it's not a great way to start the draft pick IMO.

Thus far it's 5+Nnanden vs. 1. I'll leave this open until some time tomorrow morning or early afternoon.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Yeah, they way I see it is that a restart with the new database is fair for everyone. It means everybody is in the same situation from the start of the draft onwards, the only people who might feel slightly aggrieved are those like GIMH whose pick is better now than he would've been in the original database.
Changing the draft order serves no purpose, all those lower in Round 1 will want a new one and all those higher will not want it to be changed. So it should be left as it is as changing it serves no purpose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep, because the only reason he's changed his mind is because Johnson in the new db isn't as smart a pick as Johnson in the old db. He's privy to inside information, the rest of us are making informed guesses as to how good a player is.

No-one else is really affected by the change in db, it's not fair on everyone else to re-do round 1 because Spark made a pick that he isn't 100% happy with.

Jarquis

FTR I would be fine with anyone doing that personally because of the reasons I said .
Yeah, but that doesn't consider whether the people who picked after you would've taken Johnson if they could've. You can't just make him re-available now and deny all those who have picked after you the opportunity to pick him.
Basically, IMO you can change your pick as many times as you like until the next person in the draft makes their selection. Then you're done.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep, because the only reason he's changed his mind is because Johnson in the new db isn't as smart a pick as Johnson in the old db. He's privy to inside information, the rest of us are making informed guesses as to how good a player is.

No-one else is really affected by the change in db, it's not fair on everyone else to re-do round 1 because Spark made a pick that he isn't 100% happy with.
Not true at all. Having never been to cricsim, or seen the software used to simulate games, I don't have any inside information. The only information I have that I used to make the pick is the information I posted. I don't have either database yet and have no specifics as to how it was worked out.

In fact the only way I made the original list was by going to the draft thread on CricSim that Marcuss gave me and manually entering the names into a spreadsheet. Didn't take as long as I expected though.

Again, since you're against it I'll revert the pick in the old thread now, but as a few people seem to want a restart I thought it only fair that I make a poll.

Jarquis

The new database doesn't actually exist yet ftr. But I see what point you're making.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, but that doesn't consider whether the people who picked after you would've taken Johnson if they could've. You can't just make him re-available now and deny all those who have picked after you the opportunity to pick him.
Basically, IMO you can change your pick as many times as you like until the next person in the draft makes their selection. Then you're done.
Yep, fair enough. As I said I'll change it back now.

Daemon

Whether thats the reason he created this thread I'm not sure, but it isn't fair on him also if he picked a player based on the old DB and is not allowed to make any changes now.

Idk how much inside information he has on the weighting, but we should make this as fair as possible right?

Jarquis

Just to reiterate, I don't see the disadvantages of a restart. The draft could follow exactly the same pattern with the same picks being made but it'd be worthwhile IMO. Using Spark as an example, again, it's unfair that he should be stuck with Johnson because when he picked him he thought it was going to be Johnson of 2009 and not the Johnson of recent months, which is the one he's ended up with.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, basically this. Would be completely unfair if I decided that I wanted to change Steyn to Mohammad Sami - not on me, as I'd be weakening my team massively, but everyone else who drafted after me picked on the assumption that Steyn was gone. It's not fair to put him randomly back in the draft once he's been picked.

Spark

Global Moderator
Whether thats the reason he created this thread I'm not sure, but it isn't fair on him also if he picked a player based on the old DB and is not allowed to make any changes now.

Idk how much inside information he has on the weighting, but we should make this as fair as possible right?
Again, I have absolutely none other than "yes, it's weighted towards recent form and depends on the standard of opposition" as Marcuss told me. My VM box is open for all to see.

FWIW I picked Johnson simply on the basis that he was pretty good as of mid 2010. I didn't even know that the database was mid-2009 (cheers Marcuss :dry:)

Marcuss's argument was a good one and one that in my foolishness I didn't consider, and so if we don't do a restart I get Johnson and then hope against hope that he suddenly reverts to awesome-Mitch, so that's fine. The question is however whether we do a restart.

Last edited:

Daemon

Just realised if we're keeping the same order then just let those who feel undone by the change in DB repick. Saves alot of time imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just realised if we're keeping the same order then just let those who feel undone by the change in DB repick. Saves alot of time imo.
Yeah if we do keep the same order - which I think is the best move actually - then I can't see people giving up Kallis, Tendulkar, Steyn etc. etc.

Daemon

Again, I have absolutely none other than "yes, it's weighted towards recent form and depends on the standard of opposition" as Marcuss told me. My VM box is open for all to see.

FWIW I picked Johnson simply on the basis that he was pretty good as of mid 2010. I didn't even know that the database was mid-2009 (cheers Marcuss :dry:)

Marcuss's argument was a good one and one that in my foolishness I didn't consider, and so if we don't do a restart I get Johnson and then hope against hope that he suddenly reverts to awesome-Mitch, so that's fine. The question is however whether we do a restart.
Alright cool :)