3 27.27%
  • Yes, either way is fine

3 27.27%
  • No

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restart?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Yeah, but that doesn't consider whether the people who picked after you would've taken Johnson if they could've. You can't just make him re-available now and deny all those who have picked after you the opportunity to pick him.
    Basically, IMO you can change your pick as many times as you like until the next person in the draft makes their selection. Then you're done.
    Yeah, basically this. Would be completely unfair if I decided that I wanted to change Steyn to Mohammad Sami - not on me, as I'd be weakening my team massively, but everyone else who drafted after me picked on the assumption that Steyn was gone. It's not fair to put him randomly back in the draft once he's been picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Whether thats the reason he created this thread I'm not sure, but it isn't fair on him also if he picked a player based on the old DB and is not allowed to make any changes now.

Idk how much inside information he has on the weighting, but we should make this as fair as possible right?
    Again, I have absolutely none other than "yes, it's weighted towards recent form and depends on the standard of opposition" as Marcuss told me. My VM box is open for all to see.

FWIW I picked Johnson simply on the basis that he was pretty good as of mid 2010. I didn't even know that the database was mid-2009 (cheers Marcuss )

Marcuss's argument was a good one and one that in my foolishness I didn't consider, and so if we don't do a restart I get Johnson and then hope against hope that he suddenly reverts to awesome-Mitch, so that's fine. The question is however whether we do a restart.
    Last edited by Spark; 14-04-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Just realised if we're keeping the same order then just let those who feel undone by the change in DB repick. Saves alot of time imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Just realised if we're keeping the same order then just let those who feel undone by the change in DB repick. Saves alot of time imo.
    Yeah if we do keep the same order - which I think is the best move actually - then I can't see people giving up Kallis, Tendulkar, Steyn etc. etc.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Again, I have absolutely none other than "yes, it's weighted towards recent form and depends on the standard of opposition" as Marcuss told me. My VM box is open for all to see.

FWIW I picked Johnson simply on the basis that he was pretty good as of mid 2010. I didn't even know that the database was mid-2009 (cheers Marcuss )

Marcuss's argument was a good one and one that in my foolishness I didn't consider, and so if we don't do a restart I get Johnson and then hope against hope that he suddenly reverts to awesome-Mitch, so that's fine. The question is however whether we do a restart.
    Alright cool

Also... how many rounds are we having now? I'd suggest an even number.

16 seems reasonable to me.

---

I mean, to add to the debate. It was obviously pretty cheap of me to pick Swann of all people because he's obviously a pretty gun player now - but what if Cevno wanted to pick Swann? Or what if Himannv wanted to pick him? Or what if Cevno suddenly decided that he wanted to pick Watson on the back of his absolutely gun form and the fact that there's no longer a pressing worry to get a good wicketkeeper in because they were in short supply in the previous database? (which could also apply to marc, too).

We got lucky with Trott because GIMH is so high up that it makes no difference, but imagine if he hadn't been picked until say, the 10th pick. People higher up would be pretty "huh?" about that.

It's not just as simple as "oh I ****ed up (which I did) because the system wasn't fair, so let's restart" - that ****up is now on record and I can't do anything about it now, but there is more to the story than that.

If people don't want a restart - then we don't restart. If people do want a restart - then we will restart. It's as simple as that, I'm not going to force my will unduly on anyone.

Again, we're not in a rush - the new database isn't even completed yet and won't be for some time - and if we do restart, we waste a day. Big whoop. If I'd waited a day we'd have done this right the first time anyway. I don't imagine the top four picks (assuming we keep the same order) will be rushing to change those so I think I can pencil (but not pen, obvs) those in, saving us time.
    Last edited by Spark; 14-04-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    We either restart or go from here with no picks changing IMO.

Personally I picked Prior under the assumption it was to mid-2010 not mid-2009 but would benefit from this change. At the end of the day though I think a restart is probably fairer, but move Spark to last in the order

Of course people need to factor in that PEWS is involved so all the picking is in effect irrelevant as the competition won't actually start.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Fine with moving myself to the end of the order FWIW

And a fine point you make re: PEWS...

Haha, will admit that the main reason I'm so against re-starting is because for once I got a good first round position and got my number 1 target.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Haha, will admit that the main reason I'm so against re-starting is because for once I got a good first round position and got my number 1 target.
    I think we'll keep the same order so I'm pretty sure you'll get him anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information