Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Wilkinson - how good is he?

Jonny Wilkinson - how good is he?

How much praise does Jonny deserve for England's success in this world cup?

You just know if England win people will be all like, "He lit up the world cup like last time etc." But in all honesty, I think he hasn't been that influential in England's success. His kicking hasn't been great... I think he's kicking at about 60% and he's making the goals that any world class kicker from any side can kick. His general play has been pretty poor... England can't get a try! Admittedly his defence has been awesome as always.

It just bugs me how everytime I hear about England winning it's "Wilkinson does it again!" or "Wilkinson kicks his side to victory". That's hardly the case. I give him all the credit in the world for that drop-goal against France, but he took about five shots at drop-goal before that which missed. His biggest contribution has been kicking penalty goals which aren't too hard. Granted I think his mere presence on the field is invaluable.

I just wish people would talk about the pack more often. I wish they'd talk about the tight five and how the loosies are playing well. This world cup belongs to England's forwards IMO. I love Jonny and think he's probably one of the ten best fly-halves in rugby history. It's just irritating me how he's getting all the praise when he's playing below his best. I wish they'd praise the team as a whole.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    He's definitely good, but very overrated. England's entire offense pretty much revolves around his kicking, which is why he seems to be so good because he seems to be doing everything. He does play well under pressure, though.

I'd put him fourth or fifth - Behind Carter, Larkham, Montgomeroy, and maybe Steyn.
    Last edited by BlackCap_Fan; 15-10-2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    He's very good, but isn't as good as some people think. Also, he hasn't actually played that well during this tournament.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    He's a good kicker, but not as good this WC as last from what I've seen (Which, admittedly, isn't much).
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Great defender, great kicker under pressure, gives confidence to his team - best five-eight for Eng's style of play and they grow an extra leg when he's on the field

However, he's certainly not the best five-eight and never has been as with ball in hand he's pretty average

The myth surrounding him is largely a media beat-up and takes away from the fact that his forwards won the last WC and if Eng had Larkham or Spencer the game wouldnt have made it anywhere near extra time with the quality of posession they enjoyed

Great defender, great kicker under pressure, gives confidence to his team - best five-eight for Eng's style of play and they grow an extra leg when he's on the field

However, he's certainly not the best five-eight and never has been as with ball in hand he's pretty average

The myth surrounding him is largely a media beat-up and takes away from the fact that his forwards won the last WC and if Eng had Larkham or Spencer the game wouldnt have made it anywhere near extra time with the quality of posession they enjoyed

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Hes a pretty poor rugby player, great kicker though. he certainly isn't the key to their success this WC - their forwards deserve the credit there.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Largely agree with the comments made. He's a solid place-kicker now, rather than an excellent one as he was formerly, and his defence is still very good (even if he did miss the tackle for Tonga's first try in the group stages).

His contribution as a catalyst is immeasurable tho. There's no escaping the fact that we do look a better (or perhaps I shoul say more effective) team with him @ 10 than with anyone else.

England's best player this tournament for mine has been (with the possible exception of the predictably brilliant Robinson) Gomarsall. He's marshalled our pack so well and (crucially) has delivered quicker ball than we've had from the breakdown in years. Our try against France actually came from one of his kicks rather than one of the saintly Mr Wilkinson's, you'll note.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    Hes a pretty poor rugby player, great kicker though. he certainly isn't the key to their success this WC - their forwards deserve the credit there.
    I agree, especially with the bit about the forwards.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Largely agree with the comments made. He's a solid place-kicker now, rather than an excellent one as he was formerly, and his defence is still very good (even if he did miss the tackle for Tonga's first try in the group stages).

His contribution as a catalyst is immeasurable tho. There's no escaping the fact that we do look a better (or perhaps I shoul say more effective) team with him @ 10 than with anyone else.

England's best player this tournament for mine has been (with the possible exception of the predictably brilliant Robinson) Gomarsall. He's marshalled our pack so well and (crucially) has delivered quicker ball than we've had from the breakdown in years. Our try against France actually came from one of his kicks rather than one of the saintly Mr Wilkinson's, you'll note.
    Sheridan has been impressive for mine, also
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Basically, he was as good as everyone made him out to be in the 2003 RWC, as far as everyone raving about his place kicking which was awesome. It has gone downhill a fair bit since then, and it hasn't been all that good this WC. Still an awesome kicker and a great tackler, but not as good as he used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Breakout Champion!
    I've said it hundreds of times before. He's an average rugby player but an above average kicker. Definitely had an impact on the England side this World Cup though, though. Different side since him and Gomarsall took over in the halves.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    How much praise does Jonny deserve for England's success in this world cup?

You just know if England win people will be all like, "He lit up the world cup like last time etc." But in all honesty, I think he hasn't been that influential in England's success. His kicking hasn't been great... I think he's kicking at about 60% and he's making the goals that any world class kicker from any side can kick. His general play has been pretty poor... England can't get a try! Admittedly his defence has been awesome as always.

It just bugs me how everytime I hear about England winning it's "Wilkinson does it again!" or "Wilkinson kicks his side to victory". That's hardly the case. I give him all the credit in the world for that drop-goal against France, but he took about five shots at drop-goal before that which missed. His biggest contribution has been kicking penalty goals which aren't too hard. Granted I think his mere presence on the field is invaluable.

I just wish people would talk about the pack more often. I wish they'd talk about the tight five and how the loosies are playing well. This world cup belongs to England's forwards IMO. I love Jonny and think he's probably one of the ten best fly-halves in rugby history. It's just irritating me how he's getting all the praise when he's playing below his best. I wish they'd praise the team as a whole.
    I rarely disagree with what you've got to say Francis, and this is no different. Excellent post.

Unfortunately it's the way of things now that he only has to contribute in the standard way you would expect of the team goalkicker and he'll always be given the lion's share of the credit. Then again, if it helps win England the world cup, I don't think his team mates will care too much about who gets the media hype.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

He is the Flintoff of the English side.

Without him it just looks half as strong...

Plus I am pretty confident that whatever the result Jonny will shine in the final. This is the match of his career... forget 2003.
    Last edited by simmy; 15-10-2007 at 09:45 PM.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    His presence lifts the English side. They're infinitely more confident when he plays. That's an intangible and hard to measure, but the team believes they have a chance because of his kicking & that's particularly important for the tight five and what they need to accomplish as a unit. During the last two victories, the half backs and Catt at second five have helped Wilkinson a lot. Anyway, no one prepares, trains or practices harder than Wilkinson. He looks ice cool on the pitch, but I read a quote in the paper this morning that he can see his heart beating through his uniform when he steps up for a pressure kick. So, I'd say he's a great player, but more of a warrior these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information