Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Knockout Stages

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    How the heck do they deserved to get sacked? They are still the best team in the world, thanks partly to the coaching staff. The players are only half the team. I think NZ Rugby is in a good state at present. Yeah, we are out but it doesn't mean that NZ Rugby is going to die.
    Hard to justify that.

The players were taken out of first half of the Super 14 to prepare for this. 2 SA teams competed in the final. A banner day for SA rugby and not exactly showing NZ rugby in a brilliant state.

Hard to call a team the best in the World when they got knocked out in the Quarters and didnt look like they deserved to win.

Very disappointing as I wanted SA to beat them in the final.

Given recent results, the Argies by way of knockout the best team in the world?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

How the heck do they deserved to get sacked? They are still the best team in the world, thanks partly to the coaching staff. The players are only half the team. I think NZ Rugby is in a good state at present. Yeah, we are out but it doesn't mean that NZ Rugby is going to die.
    I agree I think all this focus on the world cup really devalues test matches & series'. I hope this loss doesn't erase some outstanding rugby by the All Blacks in the last 4 years. There is only the lions that do 3 test tours (that mean anything) anymore, which is a little sad.

It's the same as your England football team. The management are expected to win the World Cup for New Zealand, if they don't, they're gone. The coach knows this when he takes the job, and considering it was our worst World Cup ever, it doesn't leave them much option.

See this article....

Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    I agree I think all this focus on the world cup really devalues test matches & series'. I hope this loss doesn't erase some outstanding rugby by the All Blacks in the last 4 years. There is only the lions that do 3 test tours (that mean anything) anymore, which is a little sad.
    Who cares about a test series? It's all about the World Cup which is the same in every sport.

For example, does anyone remember now that Australia lost the VB Series in the cricket? It doesn't matter because they won the World Cup.

PY
    Haha, I'm now feeling a small amount of confidence that England can get through to the final as they have a good chance of bulldozing France's pack similar to how they dealt with Australia's pack. What.A.Day!

Gutted for NZ though, can't believe they haven't even got to the semis when they were such favourites.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Who cares about a test series? It's all about the World Cup which the same in every sport.

For example, does anyone remember now that Australia lost the VB Series in the cricket? It doesn't matter because they won the World Cup.
    I remember when New Zealand won a 3 test series in South Africa for the 1st time with Sean Fitzpatrick punching the floor in joy. I think Fitzpatrick rated it higher than the 1987 world cup win. The 1st 2 tests in that series were played at a higher intesity & quality any world cup could manage.
    Last edited by chalky; 06-10-2007 at 03:40 PM.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    They go out in the knock out stages partly as a result of some dodgy refereeing aswell.
    They had 28 phases at one point and still couldn't get the 3 they needed for victory.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    It does matter, it just pales in comparison.

England were magnificent in beating Australia I felt, they were the far better side and looked really hungry. I was surprised to see them actually come out and play rugby, they wanted to attack and defended stoutly. Full credit to them for the win, they deserved it.

As expected, IMO atleast, the All Blacks lost. The French team played well, but we played poorly. The refereeing was average, but I'm not going to blame that, as it would make us and the entire country come across as poor losers. If anything should take blame, I feel that the rest and rotation policy is the one in the firing line. I've never been a fan of resting your top players, and entire All Blacks management and setup just assumed that we would win this game, and we'd only have to play our top team for three games in a row. McCaw should stay as captain, but I'm undecided about Henry and co. Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the United Kingdom has issued a foreign travel warning for all British Citizens travelling to New Zealand. It is expected that the civil disobedience currently erupting on the streets of major New Zealand cities could be aimed at people and businesses of Northern Hemisphere populations.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Was watching the game with my NZ mate and he was livid that Carter was playing as he's been carrying an injury and apparently isn't on good form, he also thinks Nick Evans is extremely underrated and deserved to start.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    It does matter, it just pales in comparison.
    It does matter, but means little in years to come.

Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.
    I would disagree there, how could you possibly say they "deserve" to continue?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    As expected, IMO atleast, the All Blacks lost. The French team played well, but we played poorly. The refereeing was average, but I'm not going to blame that, as it would make us and the entire country come across as poor losers. If anything should take blame, I feel that the rest and rotation policy is the one in the firing line. I've never been a fan of resting your top players, and entire All Blacks management and setup just assumed that we would win this game, and we'd only have to play our top team for three games in a row. McCaw should stay as captain, but I'm undecided about Henry and co. Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.

I agree with you there, Perm.

On everything but one thing. Henry deserves the boot for making a needless farce out of this year's Super 14 and making sure that the paying New Zealand public didn't get to see their best and most popular players competing in the toughest domestic rugby competition there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Was watching the game with my NZ mate and he was livid that Carter was playing as he's been carrying an injury and apparently isn't on good form, he also thinks Nick Evans is extremely underrated and deserved to start.
    Carter hasn't been on form for months and months now, and his kicking has gone to pieces. I'd have had McAlister at first five going into the match.

Fair play to France though, they played their kicking game and kept it in the forwards which suited them.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post

I agree with you there, Perm.

On everything but one thing. Henry deserves the boot for making a needless farce out of this year's Super 14 and making sure that the paying New Zealand public didn't get to see their best and most popular players competing in the toughest domestic rugby competition there is.
    Didn't the Saffies make a farce out of the Tri Nations? Should their coaching team be sacked also?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I would disagree there, how could you possibly say they "deserve" to continue?
    The only basis for sacking them, IMO, is that they implimented the rest and rotation policy, which was never likely to work. You can't blame them for our teams poor performance at the World Cup, they can't do much more than they did. In the end, the players are professional athletes and they have to take some of the stick themselves.

Feel really bad for Anton Oliver and Byron Kelleher, it happened to them 8 years ago too

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information