• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

James

Cricket Web Owner
This is the most heart breaking of them all.

All Blacks = England football team. All talk and nothing much else.

chalky

International Debutant
This is the most heart breaking of them all.

All Blacks = England football team. All talk and nothing much else.
They go out in the knock out stages partly as a result of some dodgy refereeing aswell.

James

Cricket Web Owner
They go out in the knock out stages partly as a result of some dodgy refereeing aswell.
They were just crap, nothing much else. Refereeing evened itself out, as it usually does.

Some players need to actually work on playing rugby rather than marketing underwear, etc..... Good to hear a lot of these All Blacks are leaving to France & England now :@

Piper

International Captain
Oh. My. God! What a day of rugby! I can't believe the All Blacks are out! I was so torn about wanting France and New Zealand to win! Bad decisions made by the ref and key players injured. I just know the papers are going to rip them apart tomorrow. It's not like the All Blacks are human or anything. Fiji and Argentina to win tomorrow will really make my weekend!

Piper

International Captain
They were just crap, nothing much else. Refereeing evened itself out, as it usually does.

Some players need to actually work on playing rugby rather than marketing underwear, etc..... Good to hear a lot of these All Blacks are leaving to France & England now :@
I'm not even going to ask whether that was aimed at Dan Carter. He had a bad game.. He wasn't helped by the calf injury he picked up. Drives me crazy that when he's playing the awesome rugby we all know he can play, people can't say enough about him. Then, when he isn't playing his best, they critise the hell out of him. He is only human.. sometimes ;)

James

Cricket Web Owner
You can bet your life savings that McCaw will go as captain and the coaching staff will go too and so they should.

It's our worst ever World Cup which says a lot about the state NZ Rugby is in I guess.

chalky

International Debutant

Don't know bout the underwear thing (don't really want to tbh:-O ). I thought the pass for the 2nd try was a mile forward & the sin bin was a joke. I got the feeling that the All Blacks also got the rough end of the general decisions a couple of free kicks at the scrums that France got, when the ref didn't know what was going on, immediately spring to mind.

Piper

International Captain
You can bet your life savings that McCaw will go as captain and the coaching staff will go too and so they should.

It's our worst ever World Cup which says a lot about the state NZ Rugby is in I guess.
How the heck do they deserved to get sacked? They are still the best team in the world, thanks partly to the coaching staff. The players are only half the team. I think NZ Rugby is in a good state at present. Yeah, we are out but it doesn't mean that NZ Rugby is going to die.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How the heck do they deserved to get sacked? They are still the best team in the world, thanks partly to the coaching staff. The players are only half the team. I think NZ Rugby is in a good state at present. Yeah, we are out but it doesn't mean that NZ Rugby is going to die.
Hard to justify that.

The players were taken out of first half of the Super 14 to prepare for this. 2 SA teams competed in the final. A banner day for SA rugby and not exactly showing NZ rugby in a brilliant state.

Hard to call a team the best in the World when they got knocked out in the Quarters and didnt look like they deserved to win.

Very disappointing as I wanted SA to beat them in the final. :@

Given recent results, the Argies by way of knockout the best team in the world? :-O

chalky

International Debutant
I agree I think all this focus on the world cup really devalues test matches & series'. I hope this loss doesn't erase some outstanding rugby by the All Blacks in the last 4 years. There is only the lions that do 3 test tours (that mean anything) anymore, which is a little sad.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's the same as your England football team. The management are expected to win the World Cup for New Zealand, if they don't, they're gone. The coach knows this when he takes the job, and considering it was our worst World Cup ever, it doesn't leave them much option.

See this article....

James

Cricket Web Owner
I agree I think all this focus on the world cup really devalues test matches & series'. I hope this loss doesn't erase some outstanding rugby by the All Blacks in the last 4 years. There is only the lions that do 3 test tours (that mean anything) anymore, which is a little sad.
Who cares about a test series? It's all about the World Cup which is the same in every sport.

For example, does anyone remember now that Australia lost the VB Series in the cricket? It doesn't matter because they won the World Cup.

PY

International Coach
Haha, I'm now feeling a small amount of confidence that England can get through to the final as they have a good chance of bulldozing France's pack similar to how they dealt with Australia's pack. What.A.Day!

Gutted for NZ though, can't believe they haven't even got to the semis when they were such favourites.

chalky

International Debutant
Who cares about a test series? It's all about the World Cup which the same in every sport.

For example, does anyone remember now that Australia lost the VB Series in the cricket? It doesn't matter because they won the World Cup.
I remember when New Zealand won a 3 test series in South Africa for the 1st time with Sean Fitzpatrick punching the floor in joy. I think Fitzpatrick rated it higher than the 1987 world cup win. The 1st 2 tests in that series were played at a higher intesity & quality any world cup could manage.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It does matter, it just pales in comparison.

England were magnificent in beating Australia I felt, they were the far better side and looked really hungry. I was surprised to see them actually come out and play rugby, they wanted to attack and defended stoutly. Full credit to them for the win, they deserved it.

As expected, IMO atleast, the All Blacks lost. The French team played well, but we played poorly. The refereeing was average, but I'm not going to blame that, as it would make us and the entire country come across as poor losers. If anything should take blame, I feel that the rest and rotation policy is the one in the firing line. I've never been a fan of resting your top players, and entire All Blacks management and setup just assumed that we would win this game, and we'd only have to play our top team for three games in a row. McCaw should stay as captain, but I'm undecided about Henry and co. Some would say they deserve to be sacked, purely because we lost, but that is absolutely bull**** reasoning, IMO.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the United Kingdom has issued a foreign travel warning for all British Citizens travelling to New Zealand. It is expected that the civil disobedience currently erupting on the streets of major New Zealand cities could be aimed at people and businesses of Northern Hemisphere populations.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Was watching the game with my NZ mate and he was livid that Carter was playing as he's been carrying an injury and apparently isn't on good form, he also thinks Nick Evans is extremely underrated and deserved to start.