• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stages

Piper

International Captain
[/B]

and i have to watch a final with that really unattractive South African playing...Percy Montgomery...shut my eyes every time he kicks the ball....:blink:
Hahaha and we could have had Juan and his rather good looking team mates

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
We play the way we play because it's our best chance of success. The fact is that we don't have the backlines of Australia, NZ or even France. If we commit ourselves to playing quote-unquote "beautiful" Rugby we'd come badly second, but maybe get a few patronising comments from people like Henry & Jones about the fact we're at least trying to play.
The problem is that England don't even use their forward platform to TRY and score... From a rolling maul, a pushover try, whatever... Honestly, if England win this World Cup it will be some kind of daylight robbery. I'm happy for English fans, especially someone like you who went to Twickenham regularly during the last four years, but rugby is in a ridiculous state of affairs if England can bluff their way into a final and win it.

I can't agree that England are playing to their strengths. They're like a football team that defends and kills the ball, hoping they can take it on penalties... or a boxer who defends for 15 rounds and wins on points. At least in 1991 their pack was aggressive.

In both games, Australia and France made mistakes... a ton of mistakes... England's counter rucking was awesome against the Aussies, but France were clueless against England in the semi. England were well organised defensively, as I said, but tenacious is something you don't need to be when France are kicking into your dead goal area time and time again.

Anyway, South Africa play the same as England -- feeding off mistakes. They just have an injection of pace in their backline. England can win if they dictate the pace. South Africa sets the pace through their rush defence, but England won't try to take that defence head on & probably won't cough up intercept passes.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are England one of the two best rugby teams in the world? No, I don’t think so.

Do England thoroughly deserve to be playing in next weekend’s final? Absolutely.
That's what I've been trying to say all along, but I think you summed it up pretty well.

biased indian

International Coach
It's nothing to do with how England play their rugby. I quite enjoy seeing their style, a good forward based game plan can actually be entertaining if people appreciate it more. But they've been crap for the last four years, that is my point. They have performed in the two games where it counted, and full credit to them for that.
it was well known fact four years ago that u have to win 3 KO matches to win the world cup rite.....if u r not good enough to do that u r not good enough...wht u did for that last four years has no relevence if u dont play good enough TODAY

Perm

it was well known fact four years ago that u have to win 3 KO matches to win the world cup rite.....if u r not good enough to do that u r not good enough...wht u did for that last four years has no relevence if u dont play good enough TODAY
Yes, but being **** for four years and winning 3 games in a row isn't just at all, and doesn't full reflect who should be world champs. I know it's all about performing on the day, but it ****s me how England have the chance to win despite being terrible for four years.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yes, but being **** for four years and winning 3 games in a row isn't just at all, and doesn't full reflect who should be world champs. I know it's all about performing on the day, but it ****s me how England have the chance to win despite being terrible for four years.
Sorry to bring this up Perm, but before the world cup, you were kinda hoping that New Zealand weren't going to win. I'm afraid England deserve to be in the final and sadly New Zealand don't (over the course of this World Cup). I have no qualms in saying that regardless of how England have played over the course of the past four years, that they deserve to be there. What I take exception to was the 'comedic' anti-All Blacks rhetoric. We've had to suffer the indignity of having our media's words thrown back at us after our disappointing exit; having our face rubbed in it by gloating Poms is entirely unnecessary. We have already been hoisted by our own petard and are reaping the emotional baggage of being hyped out of all proportion by our media only to be brought crashing back to earth. After all, it's said that you reap what you sow.

simmy

International Regular
Then you should only look at the world rankings permy because the format of the WC seems to be lost on you somehow.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Hahaha and we could have had Juan and his rather good looking team mates
It's all counter-balanced by your divine avatar though. If you ever feel upset that some of the slightly less bruised rugby players aren't playing, just look left to cheer yourself up.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
It's called the 2007 World Cup, not the 2003-07 World Tournament based on how teams have been playing during this period, based on numerous factors, including the attractiveness of the rugby, and how much Perm likes their team/country.

Perm

It's called the 2007 World Cup, not the 2003-07 World Tournament based on how teams have been playing during this period, based on numerous factors, including the attractiveness of the rugby, and how much Perm likes their team/country.
I've got nothing against England, nor against the way they play. I've stated in the past that I quite enjoy watching their style of rugby, and it can be quite good to watch for those who appreciate forward play. In any case, I've stated my position often enough.so I'm not going to bother anymore.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
3rd/4th place playoff. Worst concept.

"Congratulations - you aren't winners. You aren't even the best losers. But as losers go, you're there and thereabouts."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
3rd/4th place playoff. Worst concept.

"Congratulations - you aren't winners. You aren't even the best losers. But as losers go, you're there and thereabouts."
I agree. Toilet concept and a game neither team wanted to play, I'm sure. Was actually a pretty decent game of Rugby tho, not that that's any defence of the play-off.

Piper

International Captain
It's all counter-balanced by your divine avatar though. If you ever feel upset that some of the slightly less bruised rugby players aren't playing, just look left to cheer yourself up.
I'm sure I can cope with having her there for a month.. But if I need cheering up, I won't be looking at my ava ;)

Going back to what Brumby said. No, neither team wanted to play. I'm sure that they would have prefered to be in the final. Saying that, Argentina would have wanted to play that game much more than France. Maybe now Argentina will get the acknowledgement they deserve. How would have thought that Argentina would have beaten France twice in the World Cup :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Off to the pub soon to make sure I get a decent seat (one with plenty of jumping room). Trying to protect myself with an overcoat of pessimism, but that little voice keeps telling me we can do it. :ph34r:

Once more unto the breech, dear friends, once more. :thumbsup:

Lot resting on this 19 stone slab of finest English beef: