Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup swan songs

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar

World Cup swan songs

Who are the players leaving the international game after the World Cup?

New Zealand: Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Byron Kelleher, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Greg Rawlinson and Rico Gear.

Doug Howlett?

Australia: George Gregan, Stephen Larkham

South Africa: Victor Matfield (rumoured).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    Who are the players leaving the international game after the World Cup?

New Zealand: Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Byron Kelleher, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Greg Rawlinson and Rico Gear.

Doug Howlett?

Australia: George Gregan, Stephen Larkham

South Africa: Victor Matfield (rumoured).
    Mate, all those kiwi guys you mentioned (except Oliver) have at least 5 years left in them and there will be no surprise if they play in the 2011 WC. So they are chasing some money but hopefully the situation changes and the door stays ajar for them

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    **** it's ridiculous how many of our players go overseas to chase the big bucks, do they have no ****en loyalty? I mean Luke McCalister, FFS, how many Tests have you played? Just shows how worthless the black jersey is in these guys eyes, I don't care how often I hear "I feel great pride everytime I pull it on" because you obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be ****ing off overseas you unloyal ****.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    **** it's ridiculous how many of our players go overseas to chase the big bucks, do they have no ****en loyalty? I mean Luke McCalister, FFS, how many Tests have you played? Just shows how worthless the black jersey is in these guys eyes, I don't care how often I hear "I feel great pride everytime I pull it on" because you obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be ****ing off overseas you unloyal ****.
    Totally agree mate. Luke McAlistair is the worst for sure. When you hear him being interviewed and he's constantly saying things like "you've gotta look after No.1"...****s me tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Mate, all those kiwi guys you mentioned (except Oliver) have at least 5 years left in them and there will be no surprise if they play in the 2011 WC. So they are chasing some money but hopefully the situation changes and the door stays ajar for them
    I wouldn't be surprised if none of these guys play for the All Blacks again.

As for how I feel about it, I think it's ridiculous that McAlister is going, but I guess he wants his OE. Players like Kelleher, Jack and Oliver I can understand and players with families. Hayman was a shock. The NZRU should've paid him top dollar, but I think the dissolution of the Highlanders was a big factor.

New players will emerge, but next year the problems we already have in the midfield and set pieces are going to be even worse.

Totally agree mate. Luke McAlistair is the worst for sure. When you hear him being interviewed and he's constantly saying things like "you've gotta look after No.1"...****s me tbh
    I don't have a problem with him looking after himself, while it's a bit selfish it's the way the world works these days. What I do have a problem with is that he needs to go overseas to do it, he could quite easily stay put in New Zealand and earn quite a bit of money while getting to play for the All Blacks. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the boyhood dream of the wearing the black jersey is slowly dissolving because of these kind of players.

I wonder how long it will take the Wallabies to replace Larkham.

There was a ridiculous remark from Bob Dwyer this week saying the All Blacks peaked against France in 2004 and have been in decline ever since... If that's true (and keep in mind that was this team's break out Test) then the Wallabies are in perpetual decline.

Banned
    I don't have a problem with him looking after himself, while it's a bit selfish it's the way the world works these days. What I do have a problem with is that he needs to go overseas to do it, he could quite easily stay put in New Zealand and earn quite a bit of money while getting to play for the All Blacks. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the boyhood dream of the wearing the black jersey is slowly dissolving because of these kind of players.
    yep....

(Of course he'll make more money overseas though)

McAlister is an idiot.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go through another four years of Super 14 and Tri-Nations.

yep....

(Of course he'll make more money overseas though)
    Oh, without a doubt. He would still be on a pretty good income if he stayed in New Zealand though.

Banned
    Oh, without a doubt. He would still be on a pretty good income if he stayed in New Zealand though.
    Wouldn't come close tbh

Banned
    McAlister is an idiot.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to go through another four years of Super 14 and Tri-Nations.
    True. The WC is ruining the game...no doubt

They need to rethink the whole concept of the Super 14 and Tri-Nations. Obviously we need the SANZAR money & it saved rugby from Packer, but it's on its last legs, IMO.

Wouldn't come close tbh
    I realise that, hence my "Oh, for sure". It's not like he is earning a pittance here in New Zealand, only when it's compared to other countries does he look like he's being paid poorly.

Banned
    They need to rethink the whole concept of the Super 14 and Tri-Nations. Obviously we need the SANZAR money & it saved rugby from Packer, but it's on its last legs, IMO.
    Make it a 4-nations with the Argies every 2 years. Super 14's fine iyam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information