Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup swan songs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I realise that, hence my "Oh, for sure". It's not like he is earning a pittance here in New Zealand, only when it's compared to other countries does he look like he's being paid poorly.
    ok

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    And how old is McAlister, 23?
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    bout that

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    Yep, he'll be 24 once the time the World Cup rolls around, so he'll play overseas for three years, presumably returning to New Zealand in 2010 in preparation for the World Cup the following year.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

**** it's ridiculous how many of our players go overseas to chase the big bucks, do they have no ****en loyalty? I mean Luke McCalister, FFS, how many Tests have you played? Just shows how worthless the black jersey is in these guys eyes, I don't care how often I hear "I feel great pride everytime I pull it on" because you obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be ****ing off overseas you unloyal ****.
    Pot
    Kettle
    All Black

Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Christ, half our squad are pensioners. 30+ off the top of my head: Catt, Robinson, Lewsey, Dallaglio, Corry, Worsley, Chuter, Kay, Vickery, Freshwater, Yates, Shaw, Regan & Farrell.

Mind you, Catt was 32 last time around & he's still going so as for swansongs, I dunno. Robinson, certainly as he's retiring from all Rugby and guys like Catt, Dallaglio, Yates & Regan are all 34-36 now so it's stretching credibility to think they'll be around in 4 years.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Pot
    Kettle
    All Black

I'd give one of my testicles to play for the All Blacks, I just hate the rugby public over here that are a bunch of tossers.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Maybe the NZ union will move with the times & start to select players for the national team regardless of where they play their club/provincial Rugby if enough of their top players migrate up here. Union in NZ & Oz & league in Oz must be the last closed shops with regards to international recognition.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Make it a 4-nations with the Argies every 2 years. Super 14's fine iyam
    The problem with the Tri-Nations is that it's too predictable. You know that Australia will lose in South Africa and SA will lose in Australia, meaning NZ can split their away games and win the tournament. When they expanded it last year it was too long and NZ had already won it before departing for SA. It's no surprise that the Bledisloe Cup Tests were always more important to NZers than winning the overall tournament. Maybe we need to lose the Cup again.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Maybe the NZ union will move with the times & start to select players for the national team regardless of where they play their club/provincial Rugby if enough of their top players migrate up here. Union in NZ & Oz & league in Oz must be the last closed shops with regards to international recognition.
    It's a massive problem in Australia in rugby, you just got to look at how many players in the last two years have come back to Australia and walked into the Super 14 sides and got back into Walliabies squads. Australia doesn't have the depth to just pick home based players and the players know they have short career so they do to Europe so they can make some money off Rugby. The real stupid thing is how little guys who came through the juniors get paid in comparsion to league recuits, but thats another discussion.

If Australia are serious about winning future World Cups, they have to start picking players in Europe. Holding national selection as ransom for not moving overseas, no longer works. Time to get with the times. The same people who love the professionalism in Rugby, are the same ones that have a go at players moving overseas. If you want a professional sport, you got to accept an open market for players. The other problem is Super 14, which is joke and no longer much stronger then European comps.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I like this one:

The Swan Song by Within Temptation

Winter Has Come For Me, Can't Carry On
    The Chains To My Life Are Strong But Soon They'll Be gone
    I'll Spread My Wings One More Time

Chorus

Is It A Dream?
    All The Ones I Have Loved Calling Out My Name
    The Sun Warms My Face
    All The Days Of My Life, I See Them Passing Me By

In My Heart I know I Can Let Go
    In The End I Will Find Some Peace Inside
    New Wings Are Growing Tonight

Chorus

As I Am Soaring I'm One With The Wind
    I Am Longing To See You Again, It's Been So Long
    We Will Be Together Again

Chorus
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    Who are the players leaving the international game after the World Cup?

New Zealand: Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Byron Kelleher, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Greg Rawlinson and Rico Gear.

Doug Howlett?

Australia: George Gregan, Stephen Larkham

South Africa: Victor Matfield (rumoured).
    McAlister hasnt signed for anyone yet
    My 2008/09 stats
    Games: 10 Innings: 10 Nout Outs: 3 Runs: 489 Average: 69.86 Highest: 154 Fifties: 0 Hundreds: 3
    Catches: 7

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbuts View Post
    McAlister hasnt signed for anyone yet
    Looks like he will sign for Sale soon...
    Last edited by Fiery; 15-07-2007 at 01:03 AM.

I don't have a problem with him looking after himself, while it's a bit selfish it's the way the world works these days. What I do have a problem with is that he needs to go overseas to do it, he could quite easily stay put in New Zealand and earn quite a bit of money while getting to play for the All Blacks. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the boyhood dream of the wearing the black jersey is slowly dissolving because of these kind of players.
    Thats bull****, there are so many reasons why the head overseas - as you say he already makes a fortune over here - so i dont really think the money is one of them.

One of the major attractions for these players is that they can go over there and be virtual no bodys. The amount of crap that our media and the public put these guys through - who would want to stay? The media constantly hounds McAlister about his divorce - does that have anything to do with him as a rugby player? Another classic example of the tall poppy syndrome in this country.

Also its a chance that for these guys to do an OE, just like most young New Zealanders, i think you are going to find more and more young players going over, and coming back in there late 20's - like Flavell and McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It would be the death of rugby in New Zealand. All the super14 level players would go... the public would soon get sick of watching rugby the quality of the heartland cup every week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information