Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: All Time World Cup XVs

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,246

    All Time World Cup XVs

    The obvious condition being that they played in a World Cup.

    All Blacks

    1. Graig Dowd
    2. Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3. Olo Brown
    4. Ian Jones
    5. Robin Brooke
    6. Alan Whetton
    7. Michael Jones
    8. Zinzan Brooke
    9. Graeme Bachop
    10. Grant Fox
    11. Jonah Lomu
    12. Walter Little
    13. Frank Bunce
    14. John Kirwan
    15. John Gallagher

    Bench -- Steve McDowell, Kevin Mealamu, Chris Jack, Josh Kronfeld, Andrew Mehrtens, Jeff Wilson, Justin Marshall

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Can't argue much with that. Was going to say I would have had Carl Hayman in there ahead of Dowd until I remembered that idiot Mitchell didn't even pick him for the 2003 WC
    Last edited by Fiery; 02-07-2007 at 01:51 AM.

  3. #3
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Did something similar in the Rugby survey thread. My team's haven't changed all that much if at all:

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ok, a slow sunday here chez Brumby, so thought I'd have a bash.

    England XV post 1987

    15) Josh Lewsey
    14) Rory Underwood
    13) Jeremy Guscott
    12) Will Greenwood
    11) Jason Robinson
    10) Jonny Wilkinson
    9) Dewi Morris
    1) Jason Leonard
    2) Brian Moore
    3) Jeff Probyn
    4) Martin Johnson (c)
    5) Wade Dooley
    6) Richard Hill
    7) Peter Winterbottom
    8) Lawrence Dallaglio

    RotW XV post 1987

    15) Serge Blanco
    14) David Campese
    13) Phillipe Sella
    12) Tim Horan
    11) Jonah Lomu
    10) Michael Lynagh
    9) Joost van der Westhuizen
    1) Os du Randt
    2) Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3) Cobus Visagie
    4) John Eales
    5) Ian Jones
    6) Michael Jones
    7) Josh Kronfeld
    8) Zinzan Brooke

    It's scary the amount of world class players I had to leave out: no Bunce or either of the Littles (Jason & Walter) in the centres, no Nick Farr-Jones, no Keith Wood (who I almost included when I realised my XV had no Celts at all), no Jeff Wilson, no Christian Cullen, no Benazzi (sp?). I could go on...

    I was a bit disappointed to have to include Lewsey at 15 for England, 'cos I honestly thought we must've had a better full-back since then, but when I looked at the candidates (Webb, Catt, Paul Hull, Balshaw, Jason Robinson) realised we probably hadn't!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Nest
    Posts
    8,381
    Aussie XV
    1. Tony Daly
    2. Micheal Foley
    3. Ben Darwin
    4. John Eales (c)
    5. Mark Connors
    6. Owen Finegan
    7. Ilie Tabua
    8. Toutai Kefu
    9. Nick Farr-Jones
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Ben Tune
    12. Tim Horan
    13. Jason Little
    14. Campese
    15. Chris Latham
    Parmi

    Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.


  5. #5
    State Vice-Captain Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WELLYWOOD
    Posts
    1,040
    15) Serge Blanco
    14) David Campese
    13) Phillipe Sella
    12) Tim Horan
    11) Jonah Lomu
    10) Michael Lynagh
    9) Joost van der Westhuizen
    1) Os du Randt
    2) Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3) Cobus Visagie
    4) John Eales
    5) Ian Jones
    6) Michael Jones
    7) Josh Kronfeld
    8) Zinzan Brooke
    Why Joost over Farr-Jones?

  6. #6
    International Debutant cbuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    The obvious condition being that they played in a World Cup.

    All Blacks

    1. Graig Dowd
    2. Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3. Olo Brown
    4. Ian Jones
    5. Robin Brooke
    6. Alan Whetton
    7. Michael Jones
    8. Zinzan Brooke
    9. Graeme Bachop
    10. Grant Fox
    11. Jonah Lomu
    12. Walter Little
    13. Frank Bunce
    14. John Kirwan
    15. John Gallagher

    Bench -- Steve McDowell, Kevin Mealamu, Chris Jack, Josh Kronfeld, Andrew Mehrtens, Jeff Wilson, Justin Marshall
    I have very similar to you, plus right wing and fullback i couldnt decide
    All Blacks

    1. Craig Dowd
    2. Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3. Olo Brown
    4. Ian Jones
    5. Robin Brooke
    6. Alan Whetton
    7. Michael Jones
    8. Zinzan Brooke
    9. Graeme Bachop
    10. Grant Fox
    11. Jonah Lomu
    12. Walter Little
    13. Frank Bunce or Tana
    14. JK or Goldie
    15. Christian Cullen

    Bench -- Kees Mueews, Kevin Mealamu, Chris Jack, Josh Kronfeld, Bunce or Tana, JK or Glodie, Justin Marshall
    My 2008/09 stats
    Games: 10 Innings: 10 Nout Outs: 3 Runs: 489 Average: 69.86 Highest: 154 Fifties: 0 Hundreds: 3
    Catches: 7

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    15) Serge Blanco
    14) David Campese
    13) Phillipe Sella
    12) Tim Horan
    11) Jonah Lomu
    10) Michael Lynagh
    9) Joost van der Westhuizen
    1) Os du Randt
    2) Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3) Cobus Visagie
    4) John Eales
    5) Ian Jones
    6) Michael Jones
    7) Josh Kronfeld
    8) Zinzan Brooke :
    Excellent choices for your back row Brumby

  8. #8
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Why Joost over Farr-Jones?
    Farr-Jones had the better pass, but I'd rate Joost as superior in pretty much every other department. Best sniping scrum-half I've ever seen & a far more impressive physical specimen that Farr-Jones too.

  9. #9
    School Boy/Girl Captain Stefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    The obvious condition being that they played in a World Cup.

    All Blacks

    1. Graig Dowd
    2. Sean Fitzpatrick (c)
    3. Olo Brown
    4. Ian Jones
    5. Robin Brooke
    6. Alan Whetton
    7. Michael Jones
    8. Zinzan Brooke
    9. Graeme Bachop
    10. Grant Fox
    11. Jonah Lomu
    12. Walter Little
    13. Frank Bunce
    14. John Kirwan
    15. John Gallagher

    Bench -- Steve McDowell, Kevin Mealamu, Chris Jack, Josh Kronfeld, Andrew Mehrtens, Jeff Wilson, Justin Marshall
    I pretty much agree! However, #13 is Joe Stanley! And Wayne "Buck" Shelford is #8.

    ---------

    Aussie XI

    1) Tony Daly
    2) Phil Kearns
    3) Ewan McKenzie
    (1991 front row was awesome)

    4) David Giffin
    5) John Eales
    6) Willie Ofahengaue
    7) Matt Cockbain
    8) David Wilson

    9) Nick Farr-Jones (c)
    10) Michael Lynagh
    11) Ben Tune
    12) Tim Horan
    13) Jason Little
    14) David Campese
    15) Matt Burke
    Proud member of the "Twenty20 is Boring Society."

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Nest
    Posts
    8,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Farr-Jones had the better pass, but I'd rate Joost as superior in pretty much every other department. Best sniping scrum-half I've ever seen & a far more impressive physical specimen that Farr-Jones too.
    amateur times v pro times, hard to use that as a determining factor IMO

  11. #11
    State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,246
    Aussie World Cup XV

    1. Tony Daly
    2. Phil Kearns
    3. Ewan McKenzie
    4. David Giffin
    5. John Eales
    6. Willie Ofahengaue
    7. Simon Poidevin
    8. Toutai Kefu
    9. Nick Farr-Jones
    10. Michael Lynagh
    11. David Campese
    12. Tim Horan
    13. Jason Little
    14. Ben Tune
    15. Matt Burke

    Bench -- Tom Lawton, Andrew Blades, Steve Cutler, Owen Finegan, George Gregan, Joe Roff, Steve Larkham

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,246
    Springboks World Cup XV

    1. JP du Randt
    2. CLC Rossouw
    3. Cobus Visagie
    4. RJ Kruger
    5. Mark Andrews
    6. JF Pienaar
    7. Andre Venter
    8. Bobby Skinstad
    9. Joost van der Westhuizen
    10. Joel Stransky
    11. Chester Williams
    12. HP le Roux
    13. JC Mulder
    14. James Small
    15. Andre Joubert

  13. #13
    International Debutant cbuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    amateur times v pro times, hard to use that as a determining factor IMO
    Yea agree, think you gotta look at how they rated against their peers

  14. #14
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    amateur times v pro times, hard to use that as a determining factor IMO
    I see the point you're making, but actually Joost did play during the arse-end of the amateur era (he was the scrum-half for their win in 95) and he was just a naturally bigger guy than Farr-Jones. Scored a heck of a lot of tries too; I believe he's still the Boks' all-time leading scorer.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Nest
    Posts
    8,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
    I pretty much agree! However, #13 is Joe Stanley! And Wayne "Buck" Shelford is #8.

    ---------

    Aussie XI

    1) Tony Daly
    2) Phil Kearns
    3) Ewan McKenzie
    (1991 front row was awesome)

    4) David Giffin
    5) John Eales
    6) Willie Ofahengaue
    7) Matt Cockbain
    8) David Wilson

    9) Nick Farr-Jones (c)
    10) Michael Lynagh
    11) Ben Tune
    12) Tim Horan
    13) Jason Little
    14) David Campese
    15) Matt Burke
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    Aussie World Cup XV

    1. Tony Daly
    2. Phil Kearns
    3. Ewan McKenzie
    4. David Giffin
    5. John Eales
    6. Willie Ofahengaue
    7. Simon Poidevin
    8. Toutai Kefu
    9. Nick Farr-Jones
    10. Michael Lynagh
    11. David Campese
    12. Tim Horan
    13. Jason Little
    14. Ben Tune
    15. Matt Burke

    Bench -- Tom Lawton, Andrew Blades, Steve Cutler, Owen Finegan, George Gregan, Joe Roff, Steve Larkham
    Shoot me...forgot kearns and willie ofahenguae. backline looks pretty settled

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I see the point you're making, but actually Joost did play during the arse-end of the amateur era (he was the scrum-half for their win in 95) and he was just a naturally bigger guy than Farr-Jones. Scored a heck of a lot of tries too; I believe he's still the Boks' all-time leading scorer.
    Can appreciate your point of view...farr jones still better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Ten Best Cricketers Of All Time
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 09:40 AM
  2. Is the road to the World cup Important?
    By rodzilla1010 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-02-2007, 02:19 PM
  3. controversial
    By sledger in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
  4. Australia’s preparation for the 2007 World Cup
    By Western Warrior in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-01-2006, 12:31 AM
  5. All Time Test XI: Asia v Rest of The World
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •