• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flannelled Fool or Muddied Oafs?

archie mac

International Coach
I will admit do not knowing a great deal about Rugby (but more then most of the AR boys)

But which is a more fair dinkum World Cup?

In cricket there are at the most 7 countries that could win the Cup and maybe one or two others that could make the final six

How many in Rugby would be in with a real chance of winning and how many are just making up the numbers?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So far, in five world cups, there have been four different countries which have come out on top.

The only ones I'd rate as having any chance whatsoever (and I include the smallest chance possible, hence including Ireland :p ) of winning this year are:

- New Zealand
- South Africa
- France
- England
- Australia
- Argentina
- Ireland

Ones that could cause upsets but not go all the way include:
- Wales
- Italy
- Samoa
- Scotland (although that's unlikely)

archie mac

International Coach
So far, in five world cups, there have been four different countries which have come out on top.

The only ones I'd rate as having any chance whatsoever (and I include the smallest chance possible, hence including Ireland :p ) of winning this year are:

- New Zealand
- South Africa
- France
- England
- Australia
- Argentina
- Ireland

Ones that could cause upsets but not go all the way include:
- Wales
- Italy
- Samoa
- Scotland (although that's unlikely)
Are they in order?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Almost - I'd put Australia, Argentina and Ireland above England. I'm sure BoyBrumby will be thrilled to bits with my assessment. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nah, I'd probably agree. Think they're all above us in the bookies list of favs bar yer Argies & that's only 'cos they've got such a turd pool to negotiate.

The Rugby WC probably suffers from the same problem early on as the cricket one does in that there are too many potential blow-out scores. Its great strength tho is that it is a celebration of the highest level of the sport, test Rugby, unlike the ODI WC.

Anyway, as arch started the thread, thought I chuck in a spot of trivia: Namibia's Rudi van Vuuren is the only man to have played in both cricket & Rugby world cups.

cbuts

International Debutant
I will admit do not knowing a great deal about Rugby (but more then most of the AR boys)

But which is a more fair dinkum World Cup?

In cricket there are at the most 7 countries that could win the Cup and maybe one or two others that could make the final six

How many in Rugby would be in with a real chance of winning and how many are just making up the numbers?
I know alot of Soccer people that try to ridicule Rugby about the fact that only NZ, Aus, SA, France and Eng have a chance of winning the cup.

But in 5 tournaments we have had 4 different winners, in Soccer, they have only had 7 different winners, and they have been going since 1932, i think....

And realisticly going into the last soccer world cup, only Italy France Brazil Germany had a real shot at it, anyone else would have been an amazing fluke

ripper868

International Coach
Namibia's Rudi van Vuuren is the only man to have played in both cricket & Rugby world cups.
thus the reason i included him in both fantasy teams i had at the time.

imagine doing that for a nation like nz, aus or something...man would be a god.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That crap winger/all rounder from NZ did it. Well not two World Cups but played for NZ in rugby and cricket. Micheal Kasprowicz played school boy rugby for Australia. I think i read somewhere that he would have been a better player then his brother Simon who played for NSW and Queensland in the Super 12/14 as flanker. But there in lies the problem for most Australian and Kiwis they have to choose at a young age which sport to play. You can't really play both.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That crap winger/all rounder from NZ did it.
Jeff Wilson? FYI he was one of the best wingers who has ever pulled on the black jersey, so I'm sure I can speak for the entire nation in telling you not to call him crap.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite the lover I err....heard as well.
Well Adine Wilson is a pretty good looking girl.

I lost a bit of respect for Jeff Wilson after one of our sub teachers told us a story about him in a Dunedin pub, apparantly he is a bit of a smart ass and he tried to scrap with this teacher.