Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The South Africa Thread

Meh, I missed the "not too far behind Du Preez IMO" bit. You're thinking of Ruan Pienaar.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Meh, I missed the "not too far behind Du Preez IMO" bit. You're thinking of Ruan Pienaar.
    That's the one mate, thanks. I reckon this guy is a bit of a gun actually, but would still have Du Preez ranked above him as a halfback.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Yeah, lovely running halfback in a similar mould to Joost van der Westhuyzen, but still has a few chinks in his all-round game.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Yeah, lovely running halfback in a similar mould to Joost van der Westhuyzen, but still has a few chinks in his all-round game.
    No doubt about that. His running game is very good and I think he has a pretty good boot on him as well, haven't seen too much of him on defense but he doesn't strike me as a particularly poor defender. Joost is my favourite Saffie player of all time.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

South African XXX

From The Guardian. Link.

Backs: Jean de Villiers, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Ricky Januarie, Percy Montgomery, Akona Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Andre Pretorius, Francois Steyn, Ashwin Willemse.

Forwards: Bakkies Botha, BJ Botha, Gary Botha, Schalk Burger, Os du Randt, Victor Matfield, Johann Muller, Danie Rossouw, Bob Skinstad, John Smit (capt), Juan Smith, Pierre Spies, Gurthro Steenkamp, Albert van den Berg, CJ van der Linde, Wikus van Heerden.

No Paulse & surprisingly few "formerly disadvantaged" players altogether really. From the point of view of winning Rugby matches selecting your best squad, reagrdless of hue, can only be a good thing, but it is something of a volte face from what seemed to be very definite government edicts.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Butch James
    What were the parents thinking?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Spies to miss world cup

From the Beeb.

Massive miss for the Boks. The boy looks an absolute beast & is quick with it too.

Clots in his lungs sounds fairly serious tho, wish him a speedy recovery, obv.

Disappointing for Spies, gun player.

Indeed, huge blow for the Bok and Spies, who looked a top top player. It has been reported that he may never play again for the clotting is possibly hereditary- Spies father, a former Transvaal wing back died of heart attack at a relatively young age.

From SuperSport

"According to Springbok coach Jake White, the medical team have explained that blood clotting means that Spies’s blood is abnormally thick, and this leads to clotting. If it clots goes into his brain while training or playing he will have a stroke, and he would have a heart attack if it goes into his heart.

Spies became aware of the problem when he started coughing up blood after a training session in Cape Town. Scans later revealed that he had clots on both lungs
    ."

http://www.superrugby.co.za/default....gby/springboks

Incidentally hooker Bismarck du Plessis replaces Spies.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Incidentally hooker Bismarck du Plessis replaces Spies.
    Bizarre!

A number 8 pulls out so obviously you bring in another hooker...

Du Plessis is white, so it's not a quota-inspired pick either.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Bizarre!

A number 8 pulls out so obviously you bring in another hooker...

Du Plessis is white, so it's not a quota-inspired pick either.
    Yeah there doesn't seem to be many quota's in White's squad. His actually failed to met the targets for this year but no action has been taken and hardly any criticism has come his way from the South African hierarchy.

On this point I was just watching the Currie Cup recently and was surprised to see how many of the sides were not featuring the recommended number of quota's they should be. The quota directives seem far more stressing in cricket than in rugby currently.

TBF they were probably a hooker short, with only Botha and Smith as hookers in their squad of 30 if I read that properly. Most teams nowadays seem to opt for 3 hookers.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Yeah there doesn't seem to be many quota's in White's squad. His actually failed to met the targets for this year but no action has been taken and hardly any criticism has come his way from the South African hierarchy.

On this point I was just watching the Currie Cup recently and was surprised to see how many of the sides were not featuring the recommended number of quota's they should be. The quota directives seem far more stressing in cricket than in rugby currently.
    Rugby is a far 'whiter' sport than cricket is, and therefore any transformation that is done with out merit is likely to be met with even greater opposition..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information