• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The South Africa Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saffies to win it IMO, as long as they have Andre Pretorius at #10.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They have a chance. Their forwards are dominating (true Dutchman rugby :) ). From the maul to the lineout to the scrum they will look to control the game there.

They also have special players in the likes of Spies and Habana. Spies is just a freak with size, electric pace and great feet and Habana is excellent in defence as well as being the ultimate greyhound.

My major concern with this team is the continued faith and love affair with Percy Montgomery at full-back. His lack of pace can see him exposed in defence and his propensity for kicking all the time in open play means opponents can gameplan with complete certainty of SAs strategy. Teams seldom kick to touch as the SA lineout is so strong and they know Percy will but the ball out and give the lineout to them. The words 'running counter-attack' are not something old Percy thinks of.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
On the other hand, Percy's boot is nearly as golden as old Naas' was, and he's not as afraid to tackle as Naas was. Habana is awsome at the moment. I just hope his injury doesn't slow him down.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pack looks awesome, it must be said. Botha & Matfield are the best second row in world rugby just now & Spies and Burger are absolute beasts.

They won't win a world cup with Butch James & Januarie in the halves tho. They were playing in an armchair against us and Lund and Gomarsall were still able to put Januarie under a fair bit of pressure.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It depends on the selectors and all the politics that come along with South African rugby. TBH, South Africa haven't shown that they're capable of winning the Cup and getting hot in a World Cup year has rarely helped in the past.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
They won't win a world cup with Butch James & Januarie in the halves tho. They were playing in an armchair against us and Lund and Gomarsall were still able to put Januarie under a fair bit of pressure.
Yeah. Januarie is poor, and it seems like every SA player who refers to themselves as a no.10 has had a go in the flyhalf shirt. Butch just happens to be the best tackler of the lot.

Anyway come WC, it should be Du Preez and Pretorius.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Januarie will probably play for the same reason Chilliboy can be a Springbok but struggle to gat game time for the Bulls.

Doesnt make it right but its just how it is.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Heard Chilliboy was quite good TBH, even if he is still young.
Chilliboy isnt bad and he is young but he cant make the Bulls side. Everyone is behind Smit as Springbok hooker but the fact he has the same number of International caps as Gary Botha is just wrong.

Pity poor JP Nel who is one of the most influencial and talented Bulls but must look around and see Chilliboy (who cant get into the team) and Hilton Lobberts (who has never played a Super 14 game) that have caps whilst he has never played for the Boks.

Perm

Chilliboy isnt bad and he is young but he cant make the Bulls side. Everyone is behind Smit as Springbok hooker but the fact he has the same number of International caps as Gary Botha is just wrong.

Pity poor JP Nel who is one of the most influencial and talented Bulls but must look around and see Chilliboy (who cant get into the team) and Hilton Lobberts (who has never played a Super 14 game) that have caps whilst he has never played for the Boks.
Well I suppose Chilliboy is included as one of these 'transformation' players, safe in the knowledge that he'll rarely get game time because he is behind the captain.

That's just the way it goes sometimes though, with some of the talent South Africa have had in the midfield in recent years it would be very difficult for JP Nel to get into the Boks side.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I will be disappointed if Kabamba Foors doesnt get a WC call up at some point but its a strong position and the Luke Watson drama doesnt help.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, I missed the "not too far behind Du Preez IMO" bit. You're thinking of Ruan Pienaar.

Perm

Meh, I missed the "not too far behind Du Preez IMO" bit. You're thinking of Ruan Pienaar.
That's the one mate, thanks. I reckon this guy is a bit of a gun actually, but would still have Du Preez ranked above him as a halfback.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, lovely running halfback in a similar mould to Joost van der Westhuyzen, but still has a few chinks in his all-round game.

Perm

Yeah, lovely running halfback in a similar mould to Joost van der Westhuyzen, but still has a few chinks in his all-round game.
No doubt about that. His running game is very good and I think he has a pretty good boot on him as well, haven't seen too much of him on defense but he doesn't strike me as a particularly poor defender. Joost is my favourite Saffie player of all time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
South African XXX

From The Guardian. Link.

Backs: Jean de Villiers, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Ricky Januarie, Percy Montgomery, Akona Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Andre Pretorius, Francois Steyn, Ashwin Willemse.

Forwards: Bakkies Botha, BJ Botha, Gary Botha, Schalk Burger, Os du Randt, Victor Matfield, Johann Muller, Danie Rossouw, Bob Skinstad, John Smit (capt), Juan Smith, Pierre Spies, Gurthro Steenkamp, Albert van den Berg, CJ van der Linde, Wikus van Heerden.

No Paulse & surprisingly few "formerly disadvantaged" players altogether really. From the point of view of winning Rugby matches selecting your best squad, reagrdless of hue, can only be a good thing, but it is something of a volte face from what seemed to be very definite government edicts.