• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The New Zealand Thread

pasag

RTDAS
You've proven yourself to be too much of an ignorant tool to see that Thorne is a good player. People like you are the reason I hate the NZ rugby public.

Ignore.
Perm, how many more times do you have to be warned about these types of posts? You really should know better.

cbuts

International Debutant
You've proven yourself to be too much of an ignorant tool to see that Thorne is a good player. People like you are the reason I hate the NZ rugby public.

Ignore.
Tell me what Rueben Thorne does that is so good?
People say he is a good tackler - so are you saying Jerry Collins, Troy Flavell cant tackle?

Everything Throne can do Collins, Flavell, Lauaki, Messam, Blackie can do better

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tell me what Rueben Thorne does that is so good?
People say he is a good tackler - so are you saying Jerry Collins, Troy Flavell cant tackle?

Everything Throne can do Collins, Flavell, Lauaki, Messam, Blackie can do better
Reuben Thorne constantly does the hard work in order for others to benefit, he makes a lot more tackles than an average forward and also cleans out rucks more than almost anything other forward will do during a game. He is a limited option and isn't likely to make a bust through centre field and offload in the tackle so somebody can score a try, but he balances that out with the hard work he puts in, allowing the other forwards to carry the ball more often. Ask any of the players who have played for Canterbury (Marshall, McCaw, Merhtens) and they will tell you how much easier that Thorne makes their job.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Blacks World Cup Squad

Richie McCaw (c), Daniel Carter, Jerry Collins, Andrew Ellis, Nick Evans, Carl Hayman, Andrew Hore, Doug Howlett, Chris Jack, Byron Kelleher, Sione Lauaki, Brendon Leonard, Luke McAlister, Leon MacDonald, Chris Masoe, Aaron Mauger, Keven Mealamu, Mils Muliaina, Anton Oliver, Keith Robinson, Josevata Rokocoko, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Rodney So'oialo, Reuben Thorne, Neemia Tialata,Isaia Toeava, Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock.

One spot is still up for grabs and if Greg Somerville proves his fitness then he will be in the final 30. Piri Weepu, Rico Gear and Troy Flavell are the big omissions.

Fiery

Banned
Reuben Thorne constantly does the hard work in order for others to benefit, he makes a lot more tackles than an average forward and also cleans out rucks more than almost anything other forward will do during a game. He is a limited option and isn't likely to make a bust through centre field and offload in the tackle so somebody can score a try, but he balances that out with the hard work he puts in, allowing the other forwards to carry the ball more often. Ask any of the players who have played for Canterbury (Marshall, McCaw, Merhtens) and they will tell you how much easier that Thorne makes their job.
He's also been in the team and gone missing in both semi-final losing efforts at the last 2 WC's. The last one v Aus in 2003 was when he was captain and reacted like a rabbit stuck in headlights when the Aussies took the lead. He did not even speak to the players after Mortlock scored that try. He's a coaches favourite because he does as he's told.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm of the opinion that Fiery is ignorant, and I state my opinion.
You know very well that it was the 'tool' part that was the worst of the post. Your continued winding up of Fiery is not on and just because he says something you don't agree with doesn't mean you have to launch an attack on him. And calling someone ignorant because you don't agree with them is nothing more than an ad hominem argument, to put it mildly.

@ Fiery, you shouldn't have gone back and edited the post after I warned Perm. Highly unnecessary and only continues these petty arguments.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned

Richie McCaw (c), Daniel Carter, Jerry Collins, Andrew Ellis, Nick Evans, Carl Hayman, Andrew Hore, Doug Howlett, Chris Jack, Byron Kelleher, Sione Lauaki, Brendon Leonard, Luke McAlister, Leon MacDonald, Chris Masoe, Aaron Mauger, Keven Mealamu, Mils Muliaina, Anton Oliver, Keith Robinson, Josevata Rokocoko, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Rodney So'oialo, Reuben Thorne, Neemia Tialata,Isaia Toeava, Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock.

One spot is still up for grabs and if Greg Somerville proves his fitness then he will be in the final 30. Piri Weepu, Rico Gear and Troy Flavell are the big omissions.
I'm glad Lauaki is in and Weepu is out. A bit tough on Gear and Flavell (who should be in ahead of The Invincible Man) and I probably would have had Gear ahead of Howlett personally. Good squad though

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain

Looks a pretty strong team. Glad to see that Leonard is in, while Weepu is out (I don't like Weepu for some reason). Hopefully Somerville can recover to get into the squad.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It may be a little early to be talking about this, but it's something that interests me.

Graham Henry's tenure hasn't been without the odd controversy -- the flat backline strategy, selection choices, the rotation and reconditioning policies -- but the team keeps winning, meaning the public's faith in him remains strong. If the All Blacks indeed lose at the World Cup, will the NZ rugby public turn on him?

And if they win, will Henry retire? Will Hansen take his place? Would that work out any better than when Wayne Smith was coach? Personally I'd like to see Henry stay on regardless of the outcome, since we haven't had that type of dynastic coaching since the amateur days. But would he get the axe? Is another four years too much?

And just how long can the All Blacks remain a great side? By my reckoning they've been the best team in the world since they reduced the French to uncontested scrums in November 2004. The average cycle of a great side is three years, which coincides nicely with the Rugby World Cup, but could we stretch it further? Back-to-back World Cups?

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a question for you... I have just watched some matches of the All Blacks of the 1980s and early 1990s. The jersey had a white collar, which does not appear in the current jersey.

Is there a reason for this?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Henry will retire after the World Cup and perhaps Hansen might take over.

But if the unlikely scenario of ABs losing World Cup happens it may be the turn of Robbie Dean to take over with a whole sale clearance.

Robbie Dean looks more likely to replace John Connolly as the Wallabies coach going by the noises being made by John O'Neil, but I wouldn't be surprised if John Mitchell becomes Wallabies coach and Deans takes over Western Force.

cbuts

International Debutant
I cant see Deans getting another shot at the All Blacks. Think it would be more likley someone like Gatland would come in