• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quarters for mine.

If by some chance we beat SA in the group (not that outlandish, we did it 7 times on the bounce between 2000-06) we're an outside chance of the final if it rains during our semi v France.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They won't retain the trophy, I think that's a foregone conclusion. It's been so long since I've watched a proper England team play that it's ridiculous, they always seem to have injuries or are fielding weakened teams.

Piper

International Captain
About the same chance as Namibia has of winning the cup.
Harsh dude, but probably true lol. They have a very small chance. But you know weirder things have happened in sport so you never know.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't really follow up it much but i know for sure England have struggled a lot since they won the WC. What the state really with them & star boy Wilkinson cause i guess he is the Flintoff of the Rugby side?

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Don't really follow up it much but i know for sure England have struggled a lot since they won the WC. What the state really with them & star boy Wilkinson cause i guess he is the Flintoff of the Rugby side?
LOL i guess the world's best but struggles with injury. thing is everyone liks jonney he seems a nice guy(who doesnt get drunk and go off in pedellos!!!)

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jonny was awesome 4 years ago, but England did not win the cup because of him. Don't misunderstand me: Wilkinson was simply amazing!! However, England had a team which was like a tank. They had a pack which was AMAZING!! Martin Johnson and Lawrence Dallaglio were excellent. Then, I will not forget their backs. So, Wilkinson was just one piece of the puzzle. He could score lots of points because his team put him in the in the position to do that.

Do you remember the winning drop vs Australia? Wilkinson kicked it, but it was perfectly prepared by all the team. However, DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME: Wilkinson is a real superstar.

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
When England won the World Cup it was on the back of performances like 2002 when they beat the All Blacks, Australia and South Africa in consecutive weekends at Twickenham, the 2003 Grand Slam and the away victories against NZ and Australia. The latter is where they peaked, since they didn't play well in the World Cup, but their victory was years in the making.

We all know what's happened to them in the last few years, but they'll make the quarters where they might make life tough for Australia.

Fiery

Banned
Jonny was awesome 4 years ago, but England did not win the cup because of him. Don't misunderstand me: Wilkinson was simply amazing!! However, England had a team which was like a tank. They had a pack which was AMAZING!! Martin Johnson and Lawrence Dallaglio were excellent. Then, I will not forget their backs. So, Wilkinson was just one piece of the puzzle. He could score lots of points because his team put him in the in the position to do that.

Do you remember the winning drop vs Australia? Wilkinson kicked it, but it was perfectly prepared by all the team. However, DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND ME: Wilkinson is a real superstar.
England won the cup because they didn't have to play the All Blacks

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Wilkinson's an average to good player with an excellent boot. Not a top class one.

Last edited:

DCC_legend

International Regular
I think its a bit of a jinx tbh. England have been way below what they should be. Johnny Wilkinson, who kicked the goal has been injured pretty much 80% of the time. Seems a bit wierd to me.
Theres a possibility that the players have slipped up somewhere, genuinely, and they think (in the back of their minds) that they have slim chances of retaining the cup, and therefore this is effecting them on the field.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England won the cup because they didn't have to play the All Blacks
It helped, but we had beaten you home & away going in to the tournament so there's no guarantee NZ would have beaten us.

We were a pretty good team back then. As oj suggested we'd peaked by the world cup (our only really decent performance was in the semi v France), but our collective force of will (with Jonno as its beating heart) got us over the line.

The scary thing is that this time (by Ashton's own admission in fact) we don't really even know what our best XV is, even if we had a full rosta to choose from. Last time the team largely chose itself.