• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Fiery

Banned
Getting soft in your old age. :p Actually with a name like Lawrence Bruno Nero Dallaglio he probably sounds one of the least English players ever.

Anyway, Paul Weaver in The Guardian lists a "possible" (meaning he's probably heard something from someone) England 30. Linky.

Possible squad

Forwards

Andrew Sheridan
Kevin Yates
Phil Vickery
Matt Stevens
George Chuter
Lee Mears
Mark Regan
Steve Borthwick
Martin Corry
Ben Kay
Tom Palmer
Lewis Moody
Joe Worsley
Lawrence Dallaglio
Dan Ward-Smith
Tom Rees

Backs

Nick Abendanon
Andy Gomarsall
Peter Richards
Shaun Perry
Jonny Wilkinson
Charlie Hodgson
Toby Flood
Mike Catt
Mathew Tait
Mike Tindall or Jamie Noon
Jason Robinson
Mark Cueto
David Strettle
Paul Sackey

No Lewsey the obvious shock. No quite sure how Abendanon is preferred to either him or Cipriani myself, but there you go. Be interesting to see how close he gets.
What about Iain Balshaw?...never rated him much but thought he would be in the squad

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England XXII for Wales

Thanks to the Beeb.

England: Mark Cueto; David Strettle, Dan Hipkiss, Andy Farrell, Jason Robinson; Jonny Wilkinson, Shaun Perry; Andrew Sheridan, Mark Regan, Phil Vickery (captain), Simon Shaw, Steve Borthwick, Martin Corry, Joe Worsley, Nick Easter.
Replacements: George Chuter, Matt Stevens, Lewis Moody, Lawrence Dallaglio, Peter Richards, Toby Flood, Mathew Tait

Hmmm.

Well it's a predictable mix of the first choice with the fringe. Ashton has given at least four players (Hipkiss, Farrell, Shaw & Easter) who might not be on the plane (or Eurostar) as of now to play themselves into or out of contention.

Back-row looks like a back-row a backs coach would pick too. Corry (who played v Wales & France at lock) is at blindside, Worsley (very much a 6) is at openside & Nick Easter (who'd you'd think would be behind Dallaglio & Ward-Smith) starts at 8.

The halves & the back-line are probably our current first choices tho. The absences of Abendanon, Cipriani & Lewsey might mean they miss out this time round.

DCC_legend

International Regular
I still don't really know about Shaun Perry, decent player but doesn't do it for me. I'd rather have Richards or Ellis (where is he for that matter?) in the 9 slot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I still don't really know about Shaun Perry, decent player but doesn't do it for me. I'd rather have Richards or Ellis (where is he for that matter?) in the 9 slot.
Knackered his knee or he'd be our first choice, no doubt. Anterior cruciate I think, so won't be back much before Xmas.

Sadly we're not overburdened with choice at scrum-half since Matt the mouth gave it away. I prefer Perry to Richards tho on the grounds that Perry has the better distribution.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just back from watching England fairly rip yer Welsh a new one @ Twickers. :) 62-5! My Wales look average. Admittedly it wasn't there strongest line-up, but to conceed a record score was a bit disappointing. Our pack was very impressive but (weird to say despite the score) our backs aren't gelling yet. Until the very end all our tries came from the forwards or Perry, who played as an adjunct to the pack today.

Think we'll find out more against the French (which I haven't got ticket for :() next week.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Perry was so gun. Centres still look ****, mind.

What was Brew sin binned for, btw? Are you not allowed to tackle in union?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Perry was so gun. Centres still look ****, mind.

What was Brew sin binned for, btw? Are you not allowed to tackle in union?
Not without using your arms, no. Pretty cynical IMHO.

Farrell just doesn't seem to have the legs for it anymore; still has a good Rugby brain, but that will only take you so far.

springbox suck

Cricket Spectator
not full potencial

wilkinson is not at the same potential he had in 2003 so england are going to have to focus more on kicking

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The England squad for the world cup

From the BBC.

Backs (14): M Cueto (Sale Sharks); J Lewsey (Wasps), J Robinson (Sale Sharks), P Sackey (Wasps); D Hipkiss (Leicester), J Noon (Newcastle), M Tait (Newcastle); M Catt (London Irish), A Farrell (Saracens); O Barkley (Bath), J Wilkinson (Newcastle); A Gomarsall (Harlequins), S Perry (Bristol), P Richards (London Irish).

Forwards (16): G Chuter (Leicester), L Mears (Bath), M Regan (Bristol); P Freshwater (Perpignan), A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), M Stevens (Bath), P Vickery (Wasps); S Borthwick (Bath), M Corry (Leicester), B Kay (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps); L Dallaglio (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins), L Moody (Leicester), T Rees (Wasps), J Worsley (Wasps).

No real huge surprises. Tom Plamer might feel slightly miffed, having gone from starting lock in our last 6 Nations game to missing out altogether, but Shaw, Kay & Borthwick have all performed creditably in the warm-ups & Corry also provides cover in the back row. Barkley may be the luckiest man on the plane as I can only think his superior goal-kicking got him the nod over Flood because I thought his option taking versus France was rather ordinary.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yesterday I was watching the 1991 RWC semifinal, when a doubt came to my mind... Is the Calcutta Cup at stake during the RWC matches between England and Scotland?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yesterday I was watching the 1991 RWC semifinal, when a doubt came to my mind... Is the Calcutta Cup at stake during the RWC matches between England and Scotland?
Good question. I don't know! As it happens we already held it in 91 & beat yer sweaties in said semi (:D) so it's a moot point, but had we lost.....?

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yesterday, I wrote an e-mail to the Rugby Football Union and the Scottish Rugby Union. Today, I received the answer: the Calcutta Cup is only contested during the Six Nations.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should have just got the answer from Wikipedia. Tells you pretty much everything about the Calcutta Cup itself.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Should have just got the answer from Wikipedia. Tells you pretty much everything about the Calcutta Cup itself.
Wikipedia is not 100% reliable, although English Wikipedia is not that bad. Italian Wikipedia is awful: for example, the article about cricket has been written by a person who has never watched a cricket game in his / her life.